Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Silver Twilight Pipe Dream Brainstorm

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

So, one piece of unfinished business in the "completed" LCG is card count parity for for the Silver Twilight faction. I've got some cards I've imagined for a hypothetical Inner Order second Twilight box, and I'm curious about other players' ideas. Here are a few starters: 

Dread Ephemeris. Book of Fearsome Fates. (Silver Twilight, unique, loyal) cost 4 support, Tome.

Action: Exhaust Dread Ephemeris to put a Fated card into play from your hand. At the end of the phase, if that card is a Celestial Aspect, remove it from the game. Otherwise, if it is still in play, return it to your hand shuffle it into your deck. 

Maria de Naglowska. Prophetess of the Age. (Silver Twilight, loyal, unique) cost 3, skill 4 character (A) (A), High Priest

Willpower.

Action: Sacrifice Maria de Naglowska to put into play from your hand a non-villainous, non-heroic character with printed cost 6 or higher, exhausted and uncommitted.

Aleister Crowley. The Wickedest Man in the World. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 5, skill 2 character (T) © (A) (A) (I), Sorcerer

Aleister Crowley gets +1 skill for each Sorcerer in your discard pile.

Action: During your resource phase, instead of attaching a resource to a domain, pay 4 to destroy any one resource. 

Jack Parsons. Rituals and rockets! (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 3, skill 3 character © (I) (I), Sorcerer, Scientist.

Action: Exhaust and sacrifice Jack Parsons and pay 3 to destroy all support cards in play.

Solstice Conclave. (Silver Twilight) cost 6 event.

You may use more than one domain to pay for this event.

Ready all Silver Twilight characters and supports. 

• Jhaelen, skureppe and tdnordine like this

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Not having played ST yet I dont know what its missing but am fully behind your idea so wanted to say so :)

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Man, now I wish we'd have an Aleister Crowley in the game, no matter the ability.
  • LordTeacup likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Man, now I wish we'd have an Aleister Crowley in the game, no matter the ability.

Was there a CCG one?

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
No, unfortunately there isn't one.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Here are a few more: 

Chartered Objective. (Silver Twilight) cost 2 event.

Exhaust three Lodge characters to search your deck for a conspiracy card and put it into play.
This is the dire purpose for which we are met.

Shadow Palace. (Silver Twilight) cost 2 conspiracy. © (I) (A) (T).

Silver Twilight characters can commit to this conspiracy without exhausting.

If you win this conspiracy and you have at least three Government characters in play, place a success token on up to two stories where you have 3 or fewer success tokens.

Master Magician Past Master. (Silver Twilight) cost 3, skill 2 character © (A) (I), Lodge. 

Resilient.

Prince of the Royal Art. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 4, skill 4 character © © (I). Lodge. High Priest.

Disrupt: When you would lose a struggle at a story where Prince of the Royal Art is committed, choose one character on each side of the story and return them to their owner's hands.

Sham Rosicrucian. (Silver Twilight) cost 2, skill 3 character (A) (A) (I). Independent. Criminal.

Willpower.

When an event card is played, put Sham Rosicrucian on the bottom of your deck. 

Esoteric Poet. (Silver Twilight) cost 1, skill 1 character (A). Artist.

Action: After you play Esoteric Poet, choose a card at random from an opponent's hand, and place it on top of its owner's deck. 

Note that these cards have fun synergies with other factions: Agency (Shadow Palace), Shub (Master Magician), Syndicate (Sham Rosicrucian), and Hastur (Esoteric Poet).

• skureppe and tdnordine like this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

More ideas:

Runic Dynamo. (Silver Twilight, loyal, unique) cost 3 support. Artifact.

Action: Exhaust a character you control to refresh a domain with up to X resources. X is the skill of the exhausted character. Limit once per phase.

Grand Inspector of Rites. (Silver Twilight) cost 5, skill 1 character © © (I) (I). Lodge. 

(I) struggle booster icon.

When a Ritual card is played, all Lodge characters you control receive +1 skill for the remainder of the phase.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Supreme Banishing. (Silver Twilight) cost 4 event. Ritual.

Exhaust three Silver Twilight characters to shuffle all Ancient One characters in play back into their owners' decks.

Do not call up that which you cannot put down.

Pancake Breakfast Social. (Silver Twilight) cost 0 event.

Exhaust any number of Lodge characters to ready twice that number of non-Lodge characters.

Consecrated Taper. (Silver Twilight) cost 1 support. Item. Attachment.

Attached character receives +1 skill.

Action: Exhaust Consecrated Taper to blank the text box on a Night character or support card, except for for the keyword "Night" itself.

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Wow, looks like you're on a roll. Some very cool ideas!

What I'd like to see for Silver Twilight is an attempt to make their currently inferior mechanic of 'discarding cards to become more powerful' work. I don't really have any good ideas how to achieve it, though.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

How about this one?

The Franklyn Paragraphs. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2 support. Tome. Attachment.

Attach to a Silver Twilight character.

Action: Discard a card from hand to give (T) to attached character for the remainder of the phase.

Disrupt: After you win a (T) struggle at a story to which attached character is committed, choose a character at that story and uncommit it.

Or should that be cost 3? It's pretty juicy. Alternately, the disrupt effect could be dropped.

• Jhaelen, skureppe and tdnordine like this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Resolute Incantation. (Silver Twilight) cost 1 event. Spell.

All your characters with Willpower receive +1 Toughness and © for the phase.

• tdnordine likes this

RichardPlunkett

RichardPlunkett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Thoughts:

Dread Ephemeris. Very powerful. Possibly too powerful, even at cost 4. Creates Jumpers every bit as bad as Ultima Thule, but some of those jumpers are real problems. Feels broken vs Jeanne D'Ys, Slenderman, and problematic vs Sieur Piriou Louis, Rite of the Silver Gate. Not to mention that it cramps all future Fated card designs.

Maria de Naglowska:  Gives  6+ cost critter for 3 cost and 1-card. This is Shocking Transformation level of good (hell, it is 3 cost and takes 2 cards) and would be almost certainly end up restricted. Also the uncommited bit seems weird/redundant.

Aleister Crowley: fun powers, skill seems strangely low, icon count is high-ish, presence of (I) is quite strange. Also, I would have pegged the real world Crowley as Hastur or Yog Faction (or maybe Syndicate)[withdrawn]

Jack Parsons.: Price/stats are okay, but the power doesn't immediately feel like a good faction fit, I would need a chunk of persuading.

Solstice Conclave: Feels overpriced, even with the multi-domain feature.

All up, nicely imaginative

----

Chartered Objective: Love it. Might need play testing on the cost. (0 or 1 may be better/okay)

Shadow Palace: Nice. Again, might need play testing on the cost, 0 or 1 may be okay.

Master Magician. Note sure why a master magician would be resilient. Also would likely never hit the table given competition in the 3-cost slot. Also wants Sorcerer subtype.

Prince of the Royal Art. Love it. Vicious power. I like the fact the unsummon happens before you apply the loss, weakens the benefit re (T)/© losses. I assume he is unique - like the Long-Dead Prince?

Sham Rosicrucian. Decent body for 2 cost, but a painful downside. Hard to see him getting to the table much. (Later thought: Maybe add a card draw to his response to soften the blow?)

Esoteric Poet: We let artists in the lodge now? Still, seems okay. Straight card advantage, but the body you get is fairly weak. Could weaken it by letting opponent choose, but may not need to.

All up I like the ideas without too much getting carried away.

----

Runic Dynamo. This worries me greatly. Is the loyal enough of a hindrance? Is the once per phase enough of a hindrance? Most characters have skill >= cost, so this lets basically you play one high-ish cost character for free each turn (albeit exhausted).  Very worrisome.

Grand Inspector of Rites. I wonder if a rites inspector might be more(A) and less (I), especially the icon booster. Of course at 5 cost he could likely boost both and not see the table.

I think I give a rare thumbs down to these two.

---

Supreme Banishing. Solid addition.

Pancake Breakfast Social. Weird, but ok, Needs steadfast, 1 may be enough else 2.

Consecrated Taper. Not bad. Would have weird effects, and possibly lead to more Day/Night co-existence.

In summary, I like them,

---

The Franklyn Paragraphs. Powerful it a tentacle-heavy or draw heavy deck. I would perhaps either let the loser choose the character that runs away, or make it instead of the usual effect. Also, as worded, it should be a forced Response, not a Disrupt.

Regardless, would need careful play testing for cost and suitability. Feel like one of those cards that would get stronger with time as people learned how to use it.

---

Resolute Incantation. not sure its a good fit, feels like an agency card. I suspect ST should be adding arcane instead, but that would just make the card feeble. Maybe limit it to either printed Willpower and/or ST character, and  maybe add ©(A)?

---

So, I think you clearly showed some strong creativity in there. I would love to see more.

• tdnordine likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Thanks for the thorough critique! Some replies:

Crowley was a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn, on which the Silver Twilight riffs, and also organized other magical orders, so I think he pretty clearly belongs in this faction. I don't know why you find his (I) "quite strange."

Jack Parsons (another historical character, and a member of Crowley's magical orders) blew himself up. This card was basically conceived as Ritual of Inferno made into a character. (Plus a nice Silver Twilight Scientist.)

Prince of the Royal Art wasn't envisioned as unique (the title plays on a Masonic dignity), but perhaps should be for balance.

I realize Sham Rosicrucian will never be a staple, but can you see him going to town in a Twilight/Syndicate deck with Arcane Grifters and bottom-of-the-deck draws?

I don't think Pancake Breakfast Social really needs steadfast, because it requires exhausting Lodge characters for payment.

Maybe avoid Day/Night coexistence by having Consecrated Taper blank the text box of Night cards except for the Night keyword itself. That way, if a day card came into play during the Taper's effect, it would still destroy the mostly-blanked card.

In general, I concur with your judgments, and thanks again!

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

A fix:

Dread Ephemeris. Book of Fearsome Fates. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 4 support, Tome.

Action: Exhaust Dread Ephemeris to put a Fated card into play from your hand. At the end of the phase, if that card is still in play, shuffle it into your deck and then draw a card.

• RichardPlunkett, skureppe and tdnordine like this

tdnordine

tdnordine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

A fix:

Dread Ephemeris. Book of Fearsome Fates. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 4 support, Tome.

Action: Exhaust Dread Ephemeris to put a Fated card into play from your hand. At the end of the phase, if that card is still in play, shuffle it into your deck and then draw a card.

What if it was 3 cost, and you didn't draw a card, so it provides a bit of card-disadvantage to counter the ability? I can't see ever playing a 4 cost support, but at 3 it does become possible.  

otherwise you could limit the faction of the Fated card to ST...but I don't like that as well....

• Carthoris likes this

tdnordine

tdnordine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Aleister Crowley. The Wickedest Man in the World. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 5, skill 2 character (T) © (A) (A) (I), Sorcerer

Aleister Crowley gets +1 skill for each Sorcerer in your discard pile.

Action: During your resource phase, instead of attaching a resource to a domain, pay 4 to destroy any one resource. 

I would bring the cost down to 4 and remove the Combat Icon and lower the cost to destroy a resource to pay 3.  I would also make it "+1 skill for each other Sorcerer in your discard pile".

...and please don't take these suggestions as anything other then constructive.  I am impressed with the overall creativity (I couldn't have come up with all of these) and really appreciate the effort and thought you have put into this.  Thanks.

• Carthoris likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

And ...

Lodge Carpet. (Silver Twilight) cost 1 support. Item.

A Silver Twilight character you control may lose 1 skill and then gain (A) for the phase.

Half-Poisoned Alchemist (Silver Twilight) cost 2, skill 2 character (A) (I). Independent.

Reduce the cost of the first support you play each turn by 1, to a minimum of 1.

Disrupt: When Half-Poisoned Alchemist would be wounded by a combat struggle, he gains +1 Toughness and (I) for the phase.

Invisible Superiors. (Silver Twilight, unique, steadfast x4 Silver Twilight) cost 5, skill 5 character
(A) (A) (A) (A) (I). 

Dormant. Willpower. Invulnerability.

Disrupt: After you play Invisible Superiors, you may exchange two stories in play, leaving all success tokens in place.

When Invisible Superiors leave play, their owner must sacrifice three Silver Twilight characters, if able.

• skureppe likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Re: Dread Ephemeris

What if it was 3 cost, and you didn't draw a card, so it provides a bit of card-disadvantage to counter the ability? I can't see ever playing a 4 cost support, but at 3 it does become possible.  

otherwise you could limit the faction of the Fated card to ST...but I don't like that as well....

No, limiting the Fated card to ST is no good. But on further reflection I think it should be cost-4 Loyal. That is a sufficient knee-capping, since you really want the ability to play rainbow Fated cards, but then they'll be no good to resource in getting the Ephemeris in the first place.

I've played cost-4 supports. In fact I used Ritual of Expulsion very profitably just the other day. But I did take the dormant route with it. Hm. Still, I've played Kitab al-Azif too, and it was a proximate inspiration for the Ephemeris.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Astral Snare. (Silver Twilight) cost 2 support. Spell. Attachment.

Attach to a non-Ancient One character. Attached character cannot be uncommitted from stories unless its owner pays 2. If a story is won while attached character is committed to it, destroy the character.

Occult Pen-Pal. (Silver Twilight, steadfast x2 Silver Twilight) cost 0, skill 1 character.

Discard a card from your hand to give Occult Pen-Pal (A) (A).

Keeper of the Pylon. (Silver Twilight) cost 2, skill 3 character ©. Lodge.

Willpower.

You may choose not to uncommit Keeper of the Pylon at the end of the story phase.

Dame of Isis. (Silver Twilight) cost 3, skill 4 character © (I). Lodge. Conspirator.

If you succeed at a conspiracy where Dame of Isis is committed, search your deck for a Spell event card and add it to your hand.

• skureppe likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Lodge Mouser. Here, puss-puss! (Silver Twilight, steadfast Silver Twilight) cost 0, skill 1 character ©. Creature.

Fast.

Action: Pay 1 to put Lodge Mouser into play from your hand, exhausted and committed to any story where a Creature is already committed.

Fanatical Researcher. (Sliver Twilight, steadfast Miskatonic) cost 2, skill 2 character (A) (I). Student. Independent.

Action: If you succeed at a story where Fanatical Researcher is committed, search your deck or discard for a Library support card, reveal it, and place it on top of your deck.

Procul, O Procul! (Silver Twilight) cost 1 event.

Play during any player's operations phase.

Choose a story. Only characters with at least one (A) icon can commit to that story this turn.

• skureppe likes this