Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Silver Twilight Pipe Dream Brainstorm

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Pipe dream or not I like how energized and inspired you are by this game and it's Mythos theme!  ^_^

I shouldn't be surprised considering the occult nature of your avatar! I too share in your enthusiasm for The Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight

and feel that an exfansion to even up the numbers between it and the other 7 factions is a good place to start. Perhaps repurposing CCG art towards this goal is doable?

On the subject of Aleister Crowley, he could only be ST considering his historical connection to The Golden Dawn. He was arguably it's most visible member but was also intimately

responsible for it's ultimate demise.

I perceive ST to be much like an onion. On the very outside of the organization you have your dupes who pay their membership fees but have no clue of what is going on

within The Order's inner circle. Beneath that layer you have politicians and businessmen 'local and big fish' who want to use The Order's growing influence to further their

own careers but don't realize that they are dancing on the puppet string! Further into the onion you would have criminals that do the dirty work for The Order and further still are the members 

that have some arcane/occult/Mythos knowledge and hope to advance in skill and rank within The Order. Many of those members are merely fodder for The Order's many rituals but some advance to

the inner most circle. Advancing to the inner circle not only grants a member greater knowledge and power but they also gain anonymity. They become to some extent puppet masters who rarely 

emerge from the shadows and through a secret chain of command have other members do their work clueless to what master they serve. - This is a synopsis of the proposal my playtest group

submitted when we were asked for our ideas on a 8th ST faction. Our concept was not thoroughly implemented but slowly ST has evolved into a decent faction. We actually tried to talk FFG out of TOotST

and offered a counter proposal that they ultimately passed on.

The role I see A. Crowley playing is as a rogue member who advanced somewhere into the middle of the onion and is now using what little knowledge he has gained to go Independent and is bringing 

unwanted attention to The Order. His ability would represent a character of moderate power (Dirk Sharpe-Magical Theorist) living on borrowed time. Perhaps an ability with a 'sacrifice' cost?

• Carthoris likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

The role I see A. Crowley playing is as a rogue member who advanced somewhere into the middle of the onion and is now using what little knowledge he has gained to go Independent and is bringing 

unwanted attention to The Order. His ability would represent a character of moderate power (Dirk Sharpe-Magical Theorist) living on borrowed time. Perhaps an ability with a 'sacrifice' cost?

Your description of Crowley would have been debatably accurate circa 1900 when he was a Minor Adept involved in the GD schisms (albeit allied with the Chief Mathers, rather than the insubordinate London adepts). However, in the CoC 1920s he was a Magus: a mature organizer of multiple initiatory systems and occult societies, one of them with a grade system derived directly from the Golden Dawn.

The popular belief that he eventually died in misery is belied by the facts. Likewise, accurate appraisals show him to have been (like another CoC character we know) Sinister, not necessarily evil.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Any further thoughts on rounding out the selection of lower cost characters, like Esoteric Poet? I know Silver Twilight characters hit their stride at 3-cost, but one of my wishes for another faction box for them were a couple more solid early game characters, maybe like a Sanctum Warden with a combat icon, or a Prospective Initiate who brings useful knowledge to the order.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Credulous Aspirant. (Silver Twilight, steadfast Silver Twilight) cost 0, skill 1 character. 

Any of your characters committed to the same story with Credulous Aspirant lose Willpower.
Action: Choose a Silver Twilight character committed to the same story as Credulous Aspirant. Credulous Aspirant gains the icons of that character. (Limit once per phase.)

Helen Pryse. Admirable Sister. (Silver Twilight, unique, steadfast x2 Silver Twilight) cost 1, skill 3 character (I). Lodge.

Forced Response: If Helen Pryse goes insane or is destroyed, shuffle a Silver Twilight character you control back into your deck.

Even in our robes and hoods, you could always spot Miss Pryse.

• blinovitch likes this

RichardPlunkett

RichardPlunkett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

A new box traditionally include 1 to 3 themes.

For Silver Twilight, what could those themes be???

I do not know the answer, but I have 1.5 ideas.

1) Contacts::  Just like the Freemasons, being a member of the lodge is being a member of a network of beneficial contacts. Look at the people we have so far: government, criminal, sorcerers, independents, a few misc. eg scientist/faculty. I think we could add the Contact sub-type, and some contacts-related cards. And maybe have the non-ST cards in the set be half contacts, designed the be dual-faction facilitators.

Remember, clubs like this were the ultimate in social networking pre-internet!

(It is possible the "Lodge" subtype was already meant to do this, but it doesn't seem to have carried thru, also many contacts won't be lodge members, but deals/quid-pro-quos/blackmails/other that your lodge brothers have acquired over non-lodge characters).

For example:

Blackmail: Support-Attachment, (Useful, but only goes so far), While attached take control of a non-ancient one with no (T), if it would take a wound or go insane return control to owner instead. Attached character gains Contact subtype.

Tap Resources: Event, the next X ST cards played this turn cost X less. X is the number of contacts in play.

IRS Clerk: Contact, Character, (Can you prove that's who you are?) Disrupt: exhaust to cancel any character effect that contains a self-referential cost.

Blackmailed Celebrant: Contact, Support: Exhaust to gain a resource match, Loyal and Steadfast match for any cards you play this phase. (or maybe this is a character, and discard for listed effect?)

(I am also thinking we may delve into a little Syndicate theme territory here, eg shady stuff one might get when considering the non-mystical aspect of the Lodge)

1.5) Wives of order members:: Most ST characters are males, and that's partially fair since males certainly had the first claim on leadership roles in the 1920s, but what about all those wives??

Back then, a lot of women got ahead in life by making their man get ahead. Force him to join the guild. Host functions for guild people. Introduce him to contacts and make the contact allies by connecting with their wives.

I have some half ideas here, but many of them fail my political correctness filter, ideally I would get some help form someone braver or more insightful? I am mostly thinking support cards, and events/characters that act like support cards (any real women deserve their own status, notjust being a wife)

Beloved Mary: Wife support-attachment, exhaust to restore and/or ready attached character. If attached character goes insane, do not discard Beloved Mary.

Monthly Bake Sale: Wife, support, Exhaust to make 2nd and 3rd ST cards you play this phase cost one less (is not cumulative with other cost reducing effects).

Pushy Wife: Wife, (Be more like him!), Action: Choose a Lodge character of yours and another non-Ancient One, non-(T)(T) character. Your Lodge character loses all current icons and gains the icons of the chosen character. (Limit once per phase).

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

I'm not sold on the "wives" thing. Sara Van Shaw is an existing example of a female ST character who doesn't seem to have her status through marriage, and I just suggested another in Helen Pryse. Rich Widow is one who does. I agree that it would be good to have more unique female ST characters--although to judge by the art for generic characters like Guardian of the Dawn, Lodge Housekeeper, Disgruntled Chef, and Young Initiate, the faction is not a total sausagefest as it stands. Besides, a wife subtype for ST suggests that the Order is somehow uxorious in its essential character, which I think is wrongheaded.

I'm also nonplussed by Contacts. I'd rather see the Lodge subtype exploited more effectively. The Independent subtype is pretty common in ST, and one possible "theme" would be to start to exploit it for new effects. There should also be a raft of ST Dreamer characters, and here are a couple:

Delilah Fortune. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2, skill 2 character (A) (A). Dreamer. Relic Hunter.

Response: After you return a character to your hand, search the top seven cards of your deck for a Dreamlands support card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then place the remaining cards on the bottom of your deck in any order.

Daniel MacDonald. Psychic Paraclete. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2, skill 3 character © (I). Dreamer. Lunatic.

Drive Daniel MacDonald insane to restore and ready a character you control.
He appeared in my nightmare and taught me to fly!

I can't think offhand of a brand new character subtype suited to ST, but I do have an idea for a new support theme that the set could inaugurate, but which would work across factions. I'll share it in a subsequent post. 

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Developing Contacts. (Silver Twilight, steadfast x2 Silver Twilight) cost 0 event. Tactic.

Action: Give any one character you control the Silver Twilight faction and Lodge subtype for this phase.

• blinovitch likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

The support theme is the Celestial Aspect, which is connected to Dread Ephemeris. If these were part of the pool, Dread Ephemeris should probably include an additional clause to say that if the Fated card put into play is a Celestial Aspect, it should be removed from the game at the end of the phase.

These are Condition supports, which are all unique and Fated. They represent the stars being "right" for some particular purpose.

Antares Rising. (Neutral, unique) cost 3 support. Condition. Celestial Aspect.

Fated x3.

Action: Add a © struggle to a story of your choice for this turn. Then place a success token on Antares Rising.

Yuggoth in Scorpio. (Shub-Niggurath, unique) cost 2 support. Condition. Celestial Aspect.

Fated x3.

Action: All Mi-Go gain fast for the phase. Then place a success token on Yuggoth in Scorpio.

Yith Conjunct Jupiter. (Yog-Sothoth, unique) cost 2 support. Condition. Celestial Aspect.

Fated x3.

Action: Reveal a Yithian card from your hand and place it in your discard pile. Then place a success token on Yith Conjunct Jupiter.

Nova in Draco. (Cthulhu, unique) cost 3 support. Condition. Celestial Aspect.

Fated x3. 

Action: All Serpent cards gain (I) for this phase. Then place a success token on Nova in Draco.

Mercury Trine Pluto. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 3 support. Condition. Celestial Aspect.

Fated x3.

Action: Reduce the cost to play a card by 1. Then place a success token on Mercury Trine Pluto.

• Jhaelen, RichardPlunkett, LuChu and 1 other like this

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Wow, I love the theme of Celestial Aspect. The stars are right, indeed!

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I too enjoy the celestial theme. This aspect is something I have felt could have been exploited more long ago. After all Lovecraft was an avid astronomer!

The historic 'discovery' of Pluto with cards representing the scientist and the telescope could fit nicely in addition to a Yuggoth card. A Mi-Go tie in would be inevitable.

This game was originally designed with 7 fairly distinct factions. The addition of an 8th faction was a bit of stretch and a lot still remains to distinguish ST from the rest. ST currently exists as a Yog/Syndicate amalgamate. A celestial theme seems more appropriate for Yog but I do like the idea of each faction having a celestial alignment. The 'Hermetic' aspect of The Order could definitely be exploited more!

I like the idea of 'Contacts'- low cost characters on the periphery of The Order that provide resource matches, cost reduction of specific subtypes etc., ways of jump starting and fueling the various ST machines.

Some of the RPG material from which the The Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight first originated (Shadows of Yog-sothoth) suggested a Women's Auxiliary but I don't care much for differentiating certain female characters as 'wives'. Despite originally being 'male membership only' I could see a sub-order of members being female, based upon; some psychic ability found only in the female person, a prophecy, virginity? Perhaps the daughter of former prominent member, Ephraim Waite's daughter Asenath?

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Algol at Medium Coeli. (Neutral, unique) cost 2 support. Celestial Aspect. Condition.

Fated x3.

Action: Change the sequence of struggles at any one story for this turn. Then place a success token on Algol at Medium Coeli.

Neptune at Imum Coeli. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2 support. Celestial Aspect. Condition.

Fated x3.

Action: Change any other struggle into an (A) struggle. Then place a success token on Neptune at Imum Coieli.

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Women as attachments would be very misogynist. Just because the setting is in the 1920-30s, that is no excuse to be sexist/racist.
One of the many great things about this game is that you can enjoy the lovecraftian mythology without the personal flaws of Lovecraft (racism/sexism).
So I think we should keep this game inclusive to all, giving the mythology and the game a wider audience.

• Obtuse likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Equinoctial Grand Cross. (Neutral, unique) cost 4 support. Celestial Aspect. Condition.

Fated x3.

Action: Choose a Servitor in play, or pay 2 to choose an Ancient One. Place the chosen card on top of its owner's deck. Then place a success token on Equinoctial Grand Cross.

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I think Carthoris has a lot of good ideas and handy knowledge to make the theme come alive.

I would suggest exploring the day/night mechanic as a complement to the celestial aspect theme since time, dates and numbers play a significant role for some groups and rituals.

The lodge theme is also a great thing to expand upon with various groups bound together by their lodge subtype, and just a reminder there were groups with mixed membership in those days, even though the ones with only white men where more common and socialy accepted.

Suggesting Crowley would be more interesting with the subtypes criminal government sorcerer to capture all the roles he played from the fiend to the spy.
Maybe also give him some lovecraftian influence like the previous historical characters included in the game. But I am not that interested in Crowley so I will leave that to others.

Some more exploration of the bounce mechanic, maybe also some more of those characters that return back into your hand at a certain time or by another trigger.

Just some suggestions.

• Carthoris likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Shamash on High. (Silver Twilight) cost 1 support. Spell.

Day. It is Day. Destroy all night cards.

Shamash on High is immune to triggered effects from non-Night cards.

All Celestial Aspects have their text boxes blanked.

Exhaust Shamash on High to blank the text box of Shamash on High.

Let the Silence of darkness be broken; -- Let it return into the silence of light!

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Josiah Kingsford. Upstanding brother. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 3, skill 3 character © (A). Lodge.

Willpower.

Day. It is Day. Destroy all Night cards.

Lodge characters gain Fast.

If there is a conspiracy in play, Josiah Kingsford has his skill reduced to 0.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Jezebel White. Palladian Papess. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 6, skill 4 character (A) (A) (I). Lodge.

Willpower.  Toughness +1. Fast.

Choose an Icon. Discard a card from your hand to give that icon to all Lodge characters.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Theresa Hartmann. Reincarnated Queen. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2, skill 2 character (I). Dreamer.

Theresa Hartmann can commit to stories while exhausted.

Disrupt: When Theresa Hartmann would go insane as the result of a (T) struggle, she gains Toughness +1 for the phase, and she is wounded instead.

Dylan Parks. Zoogomancer! (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2, skill 2 character (A) (A). Dreamer. Sorcerer.

Response: After you succeed at a story where Dylan Parks is committed, search your deck for a Zoog, reveal it, and attach it to one of your domains.

Clandestine Pharmacist. (Silver Twilight, steadfast Syndicate) cost 1, skill 2 character (A). Scientist.

Action: Pay 1 to choose a character and give that character the Dreamer subtype for the turn.

Plumbing the Akasha. (Neutral) cost 1 event.

Exhaust a Dreamer character to search your deck for up to two Spell cards, reveal them, and place them face-down on top of your deck.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Audrey Underwood. Erratic mystic. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 2, skill 3 character (A). Dreamer.

Response: After you restore Audrey Underwood, choose a subtype. Characters with that subtype all receive Willpower for the turn.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Awful Confidante. Knows what should not be known. (Silver Twilight) cost 1, skill 1 character (T). Lodge.

Response: After you ready Awful Confidante, drive one of your own characters insane.

Forced Response: If you lose a (T) struggle at a story where Awful Confidante is committed, sacrifice Awful Confidante.

Sceptre of Ptah. (Silver Twilight, unique) cost 1 support. Relic. Attachment.

Attach to a High Priest character.

Give attached character ©©(A).