Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need help/analysis

- - - - - Navy Capital Ships Control Thrawn Tarkin Officers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Sleepa

Sleepa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi guys,

I just registered this account, as my friend and I have been longtime lurkers, but never had a reason to post until now. I tried to make this in the decklist section, but for some reason it says I'm not allowed to post decklists.

Anyway, we've been doing some netdecking and home brewing, and we have a Navy list(we brewed),that we just can't seem to foil. We'd love to get some feedback on anything the community suggests to run it against for a gauntlet, as it's become quite frustrating in our 1v1 testing sessions.

Faction-Navy

Objectives
1x Death and Despayre
2x Deploy the Fleet
1x Imperial Blockade
1x Imperial Entanglements
2x Might of the Empire
1x The Last Grand Admiral
2x The Tarkin Doctrine

If anyone can help us out, we'd be willing to try any list against this, or listen to any feedback you might offer if you've got a similar Navy list and feel vulnerable to a particular Light Side build. 

Also, if anyone knows how we can change our account settings so I can actually submit decks into the database, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

What specific cards or situations are causing the trouble? My usual suspicion if you're having trouble against a deck like this is that you're being too aggressive on LS, but I haven't played with or against this deck so I can only theorize. 

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
I'd agree with the above. I'm suprised you haven't run into games where a lack of early resources leaves the DS player limping turn by turn unable to play much, given that there are alot of high cost units in the deck even with a decent resource base.
  • yodaman likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2743 posts

Have you tried the winning LS list from GenCon against it?  That deck seems to do pretty well across the board from my experience.

2x Hero's Journey

2x May the Force Be With You

2x Survivors

2x Ties of Blood

1x Watcher's in the Wasteland

1x Hero's Beginning

• Redviper3 likes this

doctormungmung

doctormungmung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

I'd agree with the above. I'm suprised you haven't run into games where a lack of early resources leaves the DS player limping turn by turn unable to play much, given that there are alot of high cost units in the deck even with a decent resource base.

Or the counter to this where the first few turns you see nothing but resources, as that's something I can see happening. 

I'd echo pantsyg, in that more details on how the deck is being played would be helpful, or what's coming up consistently that's an issue.  Without Enforced Loyalty, there's a lot less healing going on, so Rebel Assaulting objectives is a lot less on an issue.  And your opponent using Deploy the Fleet's reaction is more risky.  It's a bit light on two-drops, so perhaps sleuths could do well (although they are always rather hit or miss for me).  In general, a Jedi deck should be able to do reasonably well.

Still, new Navy is a tough nut to crack.

Queklaine

Queklaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

The deck I'm running currently is the same as yours for 8 of 10 pods.  The difference I have is no devastator and one less deploy the fleet.  In place of those, I run 2 enforced loyalty.  This is kind of the standard with navy right now.  Theres about 6 or so pods that are the same in every deck and the remaining 4 are personal preferance.  I don't know that my version is the best but it hasn't lost yet and has generally dominated each game I've played.

The best way to deal with these decks I think is still jedi control.  The longer the game goes, the better chance jedi have to come back and win.  The championship deck from gencon that yodaman listed would be a good start.  That came out before IE so you may want to add the mystic pod for jedis to it.  Personally, I think that would be better than owens pod

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2215 posts
Better than Owens pod? Lukes Land Speeder is currently the best counter to Tarkin Doctoren and Enforced Loyalty in the game. Once the 1st Endor pack hits youll have Han and Secret Mission to deal with it.

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Better than Owens pod? Lukes Land Speeder is currently the best counter to Tarkin Doctoren and Enforced Loyalty in the game. Once the 1st Endor pack hits youll have Han and Secret Mission to deal with it.

The counter to Luke's Speeder happens to be in that same set.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3914 posts

The counter to Luke's Speeder happens to be in that same set.

If Tarkin is using his ability to blank the Speeder that's a lot of tricks he's not blanking. Tarkin is the "counter" to a lot of things, but he can still only counter one of those things each turn.

• doctormungmung and Redviper3 like this

OhEmgee

OhEmgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

If Tarkin is using his ability to blank the Speeder that's a lot of tricks he's not blanking. Tarkin is the "counter" to a lot of things, but he can still only counter one of those things each turn.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I assumed he was referring to Lieutenant Mithel. At least, that's what I like to use to take care of Luke's Speeder when playing Navy. True, Tarkin can blank the text, but that's A) expensive, and B) it still doesn't stop the big blast damage, unopposed damage, and tactics.

Queklaine

Queklaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Not saying owens pod is bad.  I think mystic pod is better.  And the best counter for tarkin isn't lukes speeder, its jedi leia.  Since light side has virtually no direct kill cards, the only way is with damage.  Tarkin can blank out targetted strike which means if you never put tarkin into combat, hes unkillable short of something like 2 rebel assaults.  Leia is the best way to get rid of him.  The only way to stop that is with units that have protect.  Eventually, u will wear threw that stuff.  Another reason why jedis best chance at beating tarkins decks are in longer games.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
Leia's set also comes with Leia's Command, which is incredible against a turtling Navy deck.

Noonerz

Noonerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Tarkin Doctrine < Luke's Landspeeder < Tarkin's ability < Keeping 2 open resources. GG SON

• fliptheforce likes this

fliptheforce

fliptheforce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Hi guys,

I just registered this account, as my friend and I have been longtime lurkers, but never had a reason to post until now. I tried to make this in the decklist section, but for some reason it says I'm not allowed to post decklists.

Anyway, we've been doing some netdecking and home brewing, and we have a Navy list(we brewed),that we just can't seem to foil. We'd love to get some feedback on anything the community suggests to run it against for a gauntlet, as it's become quite frustrating in our 1v1 testing sessions.

Faction-Navy

Objectives
1x Death and Despayre
2x Deploy the Fleet
1x Imperial Blockade
1x Imperial Entanglements
2x Might of the Empire
1x The Last Grand Admiral
2x The Tarkin Doctrine

If anyone can help us out, we'd be willing to try any list against this, or listen to any feedback you might offer if you've got a similar Navy list and feel vulnerable to a particular Light Side build. 

Also, if anyone knows how we can change our account settings so I can actually submit decks into the database, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

First, thanks for posting the list!  

We were definitely intrigued by your claims of it being unfoiled thus far, and wanted to see how it held up to our LS frontrunner list for Worlds.  We started off 0-2 against it, which definitely sent me into a state of panic.  I called TGO to discuss the list a bit, and was definitely bordering your initial thoughts of 'how does this list lose?'  It does a lot of things really, really well (mainly in being able to sneak in wins out of nowhere).   It feels like it has a great amount of control, while also lots of beatdown potential.  

Ultimately, we finished testing it at 5-3 (ls wins vs ds wins), only losing to it once more after the initial two games.

It's certainly a potent list, but I wouldn't put it in the 'unbeatable' category.  It has many strong elements of control, but I think if the LS player is well versed with the list they'll be fine against it.  I'm more curious as to what you tried against it that wasn't working :)

• yodaman and Redviper3 like this

PBrennan

PBrennan

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Thus does the IN Fortress meta begin ...

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3914 posts

Thus does the IN Fortress meta begin ...

Navy Fortress is definitely very good.  A variation on it is one of the 2 DS decks I have built and packed for worlds.  I suppose I should actually pick a deck eventually...

• yodaman and fliptheforce like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2215 posts

Not saying owens pod is bad.  I think mystic pod is better.  And the best counter for tarkin isn't lukes speeder, its jedi leia.  Since light side has virtually no direct kill cards, the only way is with damage.  Tarkin can blank out targetted strike which means if you never put tarkin into combat, hes unkillable short of something like 2 rebel assaults.  Leia is the best way to get rid of him.  The only way to stop that is with units that have protect.  Eventually, u will wear threw that stuff.  Another reason why jedis best chance at beating tarkins decks are in longer games.

Can't Tarkin just blank Leia? If you have a board of both Leia and the speeder he has a tough call to make on what to use his ability on that turn. But the Mystics add nothing to Tarkins choice, looking at a board of Mystics and Leia, he blanks Leia every time. But looking at a board of Speeder and Leia, the choice is still Leia, but then the speeder does its work.

doctormungmung

doctormungmung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Can't Tarkin just blank Leia? If you have a board of both Leia and the speeder he has a tough call to make on what to use his ability on that turn. But the Mystics add nothing to Tarkins choice, looking at a board of Mystics and Leia, he blanks Leia every time. But looking at a board of Speeder and Leia, the choice is still Leia, but then the speeder does its work.

Except that Leia's reaction falls "in between" turns, and thus she's effectively immune to Tarkin blanking when it counts.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Excited to see Capital Ships a thing again. Call it The Reboatening. 

Interested that the deck doesn't run at least one Yularen to leverage Deploy the Fleet damage, or just for card draw since Admiral's Orders puts you at card disadvantage. 

Queklaine

Queklaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

The only thing that tarkin cant really effect is the stuff that triggers at the end of a phase.  His blanking effect wears off at the same time that leias is initiated.  So he cant stop her.  It works the same way with something like gamor.  They both trigger at the start of a phase so it depends on whos turn it is.  If its lightside, they have priority and can activate gamor before tarkin can blank it.  If its darkside turn, tarkin can blank gamor before it goes off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Navy, Capital Ships, Control, Thrawn, Tarkin, Officers