Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

*SPOILER ALERT* So, now that TFA has been released... *SPOILER ALERT*

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
I'm half expecting them to use the side movies like rogue one to introduce someone that will tie in big for some of the twists.
I really hope for them to tie in the Rebels story/characters in.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I'm half expecting them to use the side movies like rogue one to introduce someone that will tie in big for some of the twists.
I really hope for them to tie in the Rebels story/characters in.

Agreed on both counts.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
Wouldn't it be more than expected? It's what Disney's been doing for the better part of a decade with the MCU.

GodotIsWaiting4U

GodotIsWaiting4U

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

The biggest obstacle to other eras is that the game has enough affiliations as it stands. This is basically why they can't do the prequel trilogy in the game, but I think the sequel trilogy is workable.

In X-Wing, the First Order and the Resistance have become subsets of the existing Empire and Rebellion factions, so you could do something like that and have Resistance cards just be Alliance and FO cards just be Imperial Navy.

Obviously, Smugglers & Spies are a constant across all eras, as are Scum & Villainy, so no obstacles there.

The Knights of Ren could just be lumped in with the Sith in a "close enough" sort of way, and the Jedi faction isn't much different.

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

The Knights of Ren are basically a Sith off shoot anyway, aren't they? In my opinion, I think that having a Trait "New Order" and "Resistance" would be fine enough instead of making new affiliations. But if they did, I hope they make them reversible to a point (kind of like the "ignore resource matching" from the core sets, only not terrible)

• jc1138 likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

The Knights of Ren are basically a Sith off shoot anyway, aren't they? In my opinion, I think that having a Trait "New Order" and "Resistance" would be fine enough instead of making new affiliations. But if they did, I hope they make them reversible to a point (kind of like the "ignore resource matching" from the core sets, only not terrible)

I totally agree with traits. That's all they really need for "First Order" and "Resistance", especially given that "New Republic" is probably also a faction, albeit a broken one. 

The interesting thing about X-Wing is that they are separate factions and they do have different symbols, but they are treated as sub factions. I suppose that sub faction is one way you could incorporate cards from the prequels as well. Ultimately I think the war between the Separatists and Republic is too confusing for this game, especially when Rebels and Rogue One and the Marvel comics series will be providing plenty of new material and other EU stuff has barely be touched (except Dark Forces, that stuff has been done to death. Is there anything left?)

• Vader71 likes this

GodotIsWaiting4U

GodotIsWaiting4U

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I totally agree with traits. That's all they really need for "First Order" and "Resistance", especially given that "New Republic" is probably also a faction, albeit a broken one. 

The interesting thing about X-Wing is that they are separate factions and they do have different symbols, but they are treated as sub factions. I suppose that sub faction is one way you could incorporate cards from the prequels as well. Ultimately I think the war between the Separatists and Republic is too confusing for this game, especially when Rebels and Rogue One and the Marvel comics series will be providing plenty of new material and other EU stuff has barely be touched (except Dark Forces, that stuff has been done to death. Is there anything left?)

It's not necessarily that the Clone Wars are confusing, it's that it's a different kind of war from the conflict we have here. The CIS and the Republic were on relatively even footing during the Clone Wars, very much unlike the Alliance and the Empire.

The SW LCG has a similar dynamic to the Battle of Yavin, with the DS's victory as only a matter of time, while the LS strives to do enough damage to stop them. It's the trench run, and the LS player is trying to hit the port before the Death Star is in firing range. You don't have that attack/defend dynamic in the Clone Wars setting.

I feel like Clone Wars content would need its own game, because the game we have won't really do it justice. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be slinging around Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu and Count Dooku and General Grievous as much as the next guy, but the theme wouldn't really be there in the mechanics.

That said, Rebels season 2 is bringing in more Clone Wars characters and concepts very quickly, and both the RPG and X-Wing have started putting Rebels content in their games, trying to harmonize the new canon and Legends into one big thing and keep the games from getting stale, so thanks to Rebels we could very well see Captain Rex, Ahsoka, Hondo, and even Darth Maul make appearances in their Rebels forms. Fingers crossed for Galactic Ambitions, but we might have to wait for a cycle instead.

Also -- I wouldn't be surprised if Tyber Zann makes an appearance at some point, when they decide to throw Scum a bone or two.

• Rio and SeeThreebilbo like this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
Confusing in that it isn't a war between Dark and Light. Or that the war between dark and light happens simultaneously and within the Clone Wars. Characters from both sides represent both force factions.

Essentially it isn't as cut and dry as the LCG's light v dark battle.

Or maybe I just read more into a game where an Ewok can fight a Star Destroyer.
  • Fayde likes this

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
On the ewok vs star destroyer thing, Ive always viewed it as an indirect conflict. Both are either offensively or defensively trying to achieve some goal. It is very abstract but I am not sure how else to understand it.
  • SeeThreebilbo likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2208 posts

On the ewok vs star destroyer thing, Ive always viewed it as an indirect conflict. Both are either offensively or defensively trying to achieve some goal. It is very abstract but I am not sure how else to understand it.

When I play I just in vision ewoks in space in space suits shooting arrows ar Star Destroyers. Now thats abstract. Yub yub.
  • SeeThreebilbo and Fayde like this

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

When I play I just in vision ewoks in space in space suits shooting arrows ar Star Destroyers. Now thats abstract. Yub yub.

Or maybe they play it like a drum until it falls apart or until the crew goes nuts from the ringing in their ears...? 

• Rio likes this

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

The SW LCG has a similar dynamic to the Battle of Yavin, with the DS's victory as only a matter of time, while the LS strives to do enough damage to stop them. It's the trench run, and the LS player is trying to hit the port before the Death Star is in firing range. You don't have that attack/defend dynamic in the Clone Wars setting.

I feel like Clone Wars content would need its own game, because the game we have won't really do it justice. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be slinging around Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu and Count Dooku and General Grievous as much as the next guy, but the theme wouldn't really be there in the mechanics.

I mostly agree with this. However, it is FFG's job to figure it out and incorporate all of the stuff. If they cannot, then this is a larger, inherent problem, which can only be solved with a new game. This current game should really not be titled the all-encompassing "Star Wars: The Card Game" if it is not able to fully encompass all of what Star Wars is. This current game should be renamed "Star Wars: Rebellion Era Struggle" or something and we should get something else.