Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Official Galactic Ambitions preview

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

jakube

jakube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

O

M

G

My head gonna explode! I m so excited!!!!!!!!!

When I seen this emperor it literally was like "Lol, what are these icons. And MTFBWY abbility for sith? hahaha" Jedi you are doomed.

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
This puts a tingle in my dingle.

I LOVE THIS!

The introduction of the 'shared set' mechanic is GREAT! I didn't even think of that as a thing, but what a great way to set this game apart by utilizing the way the deck building is constructed by taking advantage of set synergy in a whole new way. Bravo!

Mon mothma is a BEAST! A every phase reducer for the cost of one, essentially. Kyle is exactly what rebels needed with TS. His edge ability is also pretty bonkers and shouldn't be passed up either.

New palp is the amazing. A built in rage?
HELL yeah! The set comparison is also pretty equal too, I'd say. I was worried that a new palp may not be played if his set doesn't equal the last set. To compare:

Web to New Obj: Web is a nice reducer, but at 4 health it's a burden some games. New obj. Just poops out direct damage which fit the sith theme. Not to mention that this new objective also has 5 DC. I like the new objective.

PALP VS PALP: old palp has an extra tactic with no unit damage icons. His OG ability is great to recur chokes anD lightnings, but when you have those built in, do you need to recur them? Enter new palp, who has one less tactic but two unit damage icons. His ability is a built in rage and he has better art. ADV.NEW PALP.

ROYAL GUARD VS RGC: The royal guard is arguably the best two drop in the game. Protect with 3 health and two guns. Absolutely rock solid. The RGC is the new Wolfman! He lacks protect, but gains edge 1,which is always welcome, and a chance to become an annoying zombie by coming back from the graveyard quite frequently. He has two black unit damage icons instead of one and one, too. I like protect too much, so I have to give ADV. ROYAL GUARD

LIBRARY VS LIBRARY: Lulz. Glad they weren't dumb and didn't include a resource.

LIGHTNING VS MANIPULATION: Lightning is am old standby. A rock solid card that gets rid of your worst fears. Coupled with Web, lightning is a beastly card at 2 cost. It's a tad conditional since the target has to be focused, but with the way engagements work, that's usually not a hard thing to do. Manipulation is also conditional and much easier to play around; you just don't commit the unit you don't want dead. However at ONE cost, it's a POWERFUL ability. There's also the whole winning by 3 or more in force thing that also holds it back. ADV LIGHTNING

CHOKE VS ECHOES: choke is a staple in sith and a treat for Core Vader. You can never go wrong with a force choke, unless you have 3 in hand. :P Echoes, I normally think of as meh, but in this set, it's super powerful. Being able to set up your manipulation plays or pings with the objective is crucial. Even setting up winning the force by 3 to get your RGC back is a pretty big upswing for your economy. In this isolated case, I'm taking ECHOES.

OVERALL: I'm not going to say which set seems better on paper because they're built for different uses. If you're pairing core palp with Vader in am event heavy deck, of course you're not going to pick this new palp, MOST LIKELY. I think overall this new palp set seems Very strong in its own right and isn't a 'navy vader-esque' version of Palpatine. Personally, I'd probably ditch the old palp over this new one. While I'd miss protect, I think I'd be fine without it.

I think this box will blow open the doors of the sith meta and we won't be limited to a single 'core' of cards you run to when building a sith deck. Sorry for the long stream of consciousness ramblings. Hopefully they're coherent haha.

EDIT: Apologies for any typos. My phone is 5 years old and slow as ****. Didn't really feel like going back and fixing any auto correct errors. Lulz.
  • yodaman, darthbs and pantsyg like this

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
5 year old phone?! I feel like you provider would just give you a new one at that point.

caesaroftheforce

caesaroftheforce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I can't even begin to describe how pumped I am for this box!!! More rebels to mess around with a Cracken deck AND amazing new Sith cards!?!?!?!?! And can you imagine if first quarter actually happened? That would be the biggest happy surprise ever!!! I don't mind waiting but OH MY GOSH THESE CARDS LOOK SO COOL!!!

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Why?

Lightsaber on Kyle, a good enhancement for Luke, getting Mon Mothma's discount across multiple phases (playing the leadership enhancement after they attack to over focus Kyle for example) a bunch of good small reasons.
I'm just glad to be getting character enhancements outside of Jedi.
  • fliptheforce likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

The article mentions this can make 5/2 objectives elite. Elite objectives... chew on that.

Waaaaait--none-unit cards can get elite?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I was thinking about the Palp vs Palp debate too. New Palp's set is much more reactive than Old Palp's, which means it's hard for me to see it as a core set for Sith at first blush. That said, new Palp himself is going to trigger his ability much more often, so he has more impact on the board. 

Then again, you could always run all the Palps...

GongShowHost

GongShowHost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
So much cool stuff I don't even know where to begin. I think the smuggler enhancement and Zuckusss are my favourites.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
I can see upcoming Lionel Richie covers from RATC.

He was Once, Twice......Three times a Palpy and I loooooove yoooooooou!

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

5 year old phone?! I feel like you provider would just give you a new one at that point.

It's my third back up... I've destroyed two before on accident. It's holding me until February when I can get my new upgrade haha. This old POS is solely my fault :(

mikado

mikado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Soo... a bit of a power creep here? New cards look fantastic though!

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Soo... a bit of a power creep here? New cards look fantastic though!

It isn't like Core Mon Mothma set a high standard.
  • Crouton and fliptheforce like this

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
New Emp set beinga side grade to core emp shows a lack of power creep surprisingly.
  • TheNameWasTaken likes this

Utinni

Utinni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Ooh, New Mothma makes me want to play Ackbar again.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Ooh, New Mothma makes me want to play Ackbar again.

There's a new Ackbar coming!

Utinni

Utinni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

There's a new Ackbar coming!

I don't care, I love the old Ackbar. And New Mothma and Old Ackbar synergize well IMO

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I don't care, I love the old Ackbar. And New Mothma and Old Ackbar synergize well IMO

Oh, somehow I missed each phase, not each turn. Daaaaaaaamn, so you can get a deploy discount and a discount on surprise Ackbar. Ouch.

rune42

rune42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
And core Ackbar is a leader with a 3/3 resource and a 5/2 objective. So both of those should also be elite with that new enhancement turning that set into a resource machine as well.
  • BrianV and pantsyg like this

RedSquadronK

RedSquadronK

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

I'm a HUGE fan of leveraging the "Leader" trait. I've been wanting it for a while and was hoping Endor Ackbar might do something like that, but I'm just as happy to get that sweet, sweet synergy in the deluxe!

It does make me a little sad that in this case it does seem like it will just replace Core set Mon Mothma rather than bring her up to being usable, but it's better than nothing.

Sith stuff looks cool, though I general don't care too much about Sith.

Definitely hugely excited for this. Endor Cycle, then this... things are really looking up for this game!

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Super happy that it looks like both Rebels and Sith are going to be getting great new cards. New Kyle and Leader stuff is amazing! I want to see a couple more pods from Sith in order to weigh in on the new vs old Palpy, since obviously the Core one works (as evidenced by the fact that he is still in 90% of all Sith decks), but he works so well because of Vader/event support. Assuming at least a couple more pods from GA use the "win the force by 3 or more icons" theme, the new Palpy may become even more powerful, or at least give SIth players a fresh face.