Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2016 Store Championship Results

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts
TOME was using the new SoS formula well before it was ever published (robbing people who went to events run with TOME of their super byes). I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the change in the tournament rules was to make the rules match how TOME worked.
  • CharlieFilms likes this

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

TOME was using the new SoS formula well before it was ever published (robbing people who went to events run with TOME of their super byes). I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the change in the tournament rules was to make the rules match how TOME worked.

Very possible.

Another weird thing that it did was give me a bye after I swept the first round. 

The other two people that played split their game. So the standings looked like this after Round 1:

6 - Me

6 - person with first round bye

3 - other group that played split

3 - ""

0 - my first round opponent

I thought it should have given my first round opponent the bye for the second round, so each of the people with 6 would play a person with 3. 

• FullyOperational likes this

FullyOperational

FullyOperational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Very possible.

Another weird thing that it did was give me a bye after I swept the first round. 

The other two people that played split their game. So the standings looked like this after Round 1:

6 - Me

6 - person with first round bye

3 - other group that played split

3 - ""

0 - my first round opponent

I thought it should have given my first round opponent the bye for the second round, so each of the people with 6 would play a person with 3. 

Yeah, i would have expected the person with lowest points heading into round 2 (your first round opponent) to get the bye..... ? huh. odd.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts
I'd have to check exactly how the rules say to break up repeat matches. It paired one of the involved players down instead of pairing both up. That may be technically correct despite the odd outcome (5 player tournaments do odd things).

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I'd have to check exactly how the rules say to break up repeat matches. It paired one of the involved players down instead of pairing both up. That may be technically correct despite the odd outcome (5 player tournaments do odd things).

I would love to see what you find out about this. We were all very confused by the decision.

medfreeman

medfreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Also noted in our last SC this weekend that TOME wouldn't give a bye to the odd player automatically in round 1.. We tried evrything, so ended doing all on paper.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts

Can't say I've ever had trouble with it assigning a bye in round 1, you should report that to OP as a bug.

After reviewing the tournament rules, there's actually nothing official about how to split up a pair who have already played each other.  I can speculate on the internal algorithm TOME used to come to the conclusion it did, but I don't think it was correct.  I think the pairings most consistent with the tournament rules would be to have the 2 players with 6 points play the 2 players with 3 points while giving the bye to the player with 0 points.  Again, the tournament rules aren't exactly conclusive, they don't give any guidelines as to whether you should pair up or pair down in that situation, just that you can't play the same player more than once during Swiss rounds.  EDIT: This also could be directed to OP, they may wish to clarify the tournament rules to describe how to handle that situation, if nothing else.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts

I did play him, he won the first game and we tied the second game. 

I do see that in the new rules, but those don't go in effect until April 2nd.

Just a note, head-to-head being first tie breaker was in the old rules too.

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Just a note, head-to-head being first tie breaker was in the old rules too.

I see that now, in the new one they just broke it up a little better. Thanks!