Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rebel Commando and fate card resolve determination

fate card rebel commando

Best Answer dbmeboy , 20 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Fate cards have a card ability. These card abilities can have multiple pieces (conditional play requirement, cost, effect, etc). When you reach the priority number of the fate card in question, the card ability begins to resolve.

In the case of a fate card with a conditional requirement, if you do not meet the conditional requirement the card effect do not resolve, but the card ability still does. Now, the card ability does not resolve “successfully” if you do not meet the conditional, but it does resolve.

Once the ability has resolved (successfully or not), the fate card has resolved. The Rebel Commando only cares about the fate card resolving, not whether or not it resolved successfully or not. Therefore, even if the effects of a fate card do not resolve, the card ability still did, so you can react with the Rebel Commando.

--

Erik Dahlman
LCG Developer
Fantasy Flight Games Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

BallerMithel

BallerMithel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hello,

Rebel Commando can only be played after an enemy fate card is resolved. The main question I have is what is concluded as a resolved card. Please see below for the affected fate cards in question with their official statements.

FYI Rebel Commando reads:

"Reaction: After an enemy fate card resolves, put this unit into play from your hand as a participating unit on your side. "

Thanks in advance for the responses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secret Objective:

Official Text: "If you are the attacking player, you may choose an enemy objective that you have not engaged this phase. If you do, you are now engaged with the chosen objective instead."

Question: If you are the defending player and play this card. Is the card considered resolved?

Target of Opportunity:

Official Text: "If you are the attacking player, deal 1 damage to the engaged objective."

Question: If you are the defending player and play this card. Is the card considered resolved?

Imperial Fist:

Official Text: "If you control a participating unique [Imperial Navy] unit, move up to 2 damage from a friendly objective to a target enemy objective."

Question: If you are the defending player and you do not satisfy the initial condition. Is the card considered resolved?

The Prince's Scheme:

Official Text: "If you control a participating unique [Scum and Villainy] unit, take 1 non-fate card from your opponent’s edge stack and place it in your edge stack for this edge battle."

Question: If you are the defending player your opponent plays all fate cards. Is the card considered resolved?

Queklaine

Queklaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

My understanding is that the card is resolved, even though no action actually took place.  With target of opportunity, since you are not the attacker, you don't deal a damage.  That still means that the card was resolved even if the action didnt take place.  

I'm not 100 percent sure on this and don't know where in the rule book this is clarified but this is how I would view it.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Each Fate card resolves when you get to its turn in the priority order. Even if the conditional requirements on the Fate card are not met and thus the effect of the fate card does not resolve, the fate card itself is still considered to have resolved. Thus, in all of those cases, Rebel Commando could React.
  • pantsyg and BallerMithel like this

Jackofhearts

Jackofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
Follow up question.
Commando Operations Reads
"While this objective is undamaged, enemy fate card effects do not resolve."
Even if the effect does not resolve, does the fate card itself resolve? If an opponent puts a fate card into an edge battle while you have an undamaged commando ops, can you trigger a Rebel Commando?
  • rune42 likes this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Follow up question.
Commando Operations Reads
"While this objective is undamaged, enemy fate card effects do not resolve."
Even if the effect does not resolve, does the fate card itself resolve? If an opponent puts a fate card into an edge battle while you have an undamaged commando ops, can you trigger a Rebel Commando?

I also would like an answer to this question. I always just assumed that the objective worked against the Commandos. But with all the discussions lately about conditions vs effects I'm wondering if you can drop a Commando even if the objective is undamaged.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
My understanding based on recent wording clarifications is that you would be able to trigger the commando in that situation. However, there is some potential for wording weirdness as I'm pretty sure the commando is the only card that refers to cards resolving instead of effects resolving (plus I feel like the opposite may have been ruled previously). I may seek further clarification depending on what I find digging through the official answers archive.

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

med_rebel-commando-lure-of-the-dark-side

med_commando-operations-lure-of-the-dark

So the question here is whether a fate card is considered to be "resolved" even if its effects are blocked by the objective. If so, then the Commando should be able to come in for free should an opponent drop any fate card (that doesn't get twisted out first).

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Correct. I'm unmarking this for now because I've found an admittedly old response from Nate implying the opposite of my original answer. Will pursue further.

Toggle

Toggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

I know people have been playing it that they don't work together for 2 years, but this could be a benevolent rules interaction discovery.  I HOPE THE T.O. ON SATURDAY FIGURES IT OUT.   :D

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Erik is usually very fast answering questions, your TO will have the response in plenty of time.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
✓  Best Answer

Fate cards have a card ability. These card abilities can have multiple pieces (conditional play requirement, cost, effect, etc). When you reach the priority number of the fate card in question, the card ability begins to resolve.

In the case of a fate card with a conditional requirement, if you do not meet the conditional requirement the card effect do not resolve, but the card ability still does. Now, the card ability does not resolve “successfully” if you do not meet the conditional, but it does resolve.

Once the ability has resolved (successfully or not), the fate card has resolved. The Rebel Commando only cares about the fate card resolving, not whether or not it resolved successfully or not. Therefore, even if the effects of a fate card do not resolve, the card ability still did, so you can react with the Rebel Commando.

--

Erik Dahlman
LCG Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
  • DavFlamerock likes this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Note: I have confirmed that this is indeed reversing the earlier ruling about the commando's interaction with Commando Ops.
  • doctormungmung and pantsyg like this

Toggle

Toggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
Awwwwww yiss.
  • DavFlamerock, a4rino and Jackofhearts like this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Ok, I'm trying to follow the thread can we put the answer is concrete terms?

If Commando Operations is undamaged and DS puts a fate card into an edge battle (which will not resolve then), can a Rebel Commando enter play as a participating unit for the LS?  

Is the answer to this now, YES?   That's how I'm reading it.

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Ok, I'm trying to follow the thread can we put the answer is concrete terms?

If Commando Operations is undamaged and DS puts a fate card into an edge battle (which will not resolve then), can a Rebel Commando enter play as a participating unit for the LS?

Is the answer to this now, YES? That's how I'm reading it.

That's how I'm reading it. This is a reversal of a nearly two year old ruling. I think the reversal is fine because it makes the set a lot more playable. My problem is that people might not be aware of the reversal and that could cause problems.
  • yodaman and pantsyg like this

ZackyMidnight

ZackyMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

If that is really the intention of the pod the whole time then the wording on rebel commando is really stupid and confusing (so much so that it was misplayed for 2 years)

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

This is awesome news! Crix just made the cut as a 2-of for several deck ideas I have floating around :)

• doctormungmung likes this

theChony

theChony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

If that is really the intention of the pod the whole time then the wording on rebel commando is really stupid and confusing (so much so that it was misplayed for 2 years)

It wasn't the original intention since a previous ruling was reversed. It would've been worded, after an enemy fate card is revealed instead and basically boils down to that if I have it right.

medfreeman

medfreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

It wasn't the original intention since a previous ruling was reversed. It would've been worded, after an enemy fate card is revealed instead and basically boils down to that if I have it right.

Not sure about this, because if you have a twist in your edge stack, when at priority 2, you'll resolve it and discard both edge stacks, and enemy fate cards with higher priorities wouldn't resolve AT ALL, because you'll never reach their priority number.

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
Plus they can dodge a Heat of Battle they are reacting to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fate card, rebel commando