Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

More Wolves of the North spoilers via Hand's Judgment Podcast (DC Dennis)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
http://imgur.com/a/d4A0Y

Here's the link to the podcast.

abvvuhx.jpg

NkZL9JZ.jpg

Thank god Maester Luwin gives Rickon pillage.

It's going to come in super handy.

• GrahamM, BayushiSezaru, chriswhite and 1 other like this

Ignithas

Ignithas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
They come from the hands judgement podcast from DC Dennis.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

A "Hand's Judgement" episode of his youtube channel "A Meager Contribution", but man, I'm really feeling the Wolves of the North artwork. 

Rickon and Osha may be two of the easiest "slot-in" Stark cards we've seen so far. They're both just great characters. The only thing I think Dennis missed out on was the Kennel Master/Wardens of the North interactions with her (in order to initiate challenges you need to get someone else into), where I think she'll also have a lot of potential.

Great video.

• dcdennis, fauxintel and JoeFromCincinnati like this

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Thank god Maester Luwin gives Rickon pillage.

It's going to come in super handy.

The problem is that Blood of the Dragon and Fear of Winter render Rickon, Luwin and a whole host of other Starks irrelevant, so even if the Pillage was something to get excited about, it's useless before Rickon is even released (obviously, it always was!)

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Osha will work very nicely with Highgarden Tyrlls, if not for first snow of winter.
  • theamazingmrg likes this

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Osha will work very nicely with Highgarden Tyrlls, if not for first snow of winter.

If First Snow or Blood of the Dragon weren't a thing, she'd be a great enabler for the Kennel Master or Wardens of the North. As it is she can just join the gang of 9 potentially vulnerable Stark Uniques!

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

POPULAR

You guys realize that first snow is limit 1 per plot deck right? I'm pretty sure that in first edition we still played characters even though Valar Morghulis existed.

• darknoj, dcdennis, Bomb and 24 others like this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

You guys realize that first snow is limit 1 per plot deck right? I'm pretty sure that in first edition we still played characters even though Valar Morghulis existed.

Note that some people actually did not play characters because of this, but extremely rarely.

• JCWamma, kizerman86, NikolaP and 4 others like this

DoctorRiptide

DoctorRiptide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Note that some people actually did not play characters because of this, but extremely rarely.

I recall a certain Greyjoy 0 character deck that everyone loved to play against. It used refurbished hulks to throw down Aegon's Hill and things of that nature. If anyone here isn't a former 1.0 player, google Aegon's Hill. You wanna talk about salt, check that out.

Back on topic, it's now apparent to me that Maester Luwin's interaction with Rickon is merely a jape. Rickon's ability stops players from searching. In the books, what happened? They hid in the tomb while everyone looked for them. Maybe one of the most nedly cards I've ever seen. It leaves play (Winterfell) when people attempt to search for things. Brilliant.

Osha is an auto include. Intrigue icons are really nice for Stark, and the ability to basically pump fake your opponents just adds to the crazy shenanigans you can throw onto the board that people have to pay attention to. I don't think it's particularly fair to judge these cards, or any cards for that matter, based on the existence of Blood of the Dragon and First Snow. These are cards that everyone has to deal with, to include Targ players.

• cml likes this

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Definitely. It's just the disproportionate cost spread of Uniques that make it so concerning. Starks main strength is the synergies between it's Uniques. Luwin boosts Bran, Rickon, Jon and Robb. Mordane will boost Arya and Sansa. Bran boosts Hodor. Summer makes Bran better (through recursion allowing multiple uses).

Their second main strength is the ability to manipulate challenge maths through Kennel Master and Direwolves (and Wardens of the North). In one fell swoop First Snow breaks two types of Stark deck.

Yes, it's only one turn, but it means the Starks need to win before it's played, because recovering from it will be a nightmare.

EDIT: it will be interesting to see the House Tully rush deck, because that will be the deck that isn't too phased by First Snow.

linkingverbs

linkingverbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Wonder if it's too late to make this First Snow's flavor text

• JackCade, agktmte, cml and 3 others like this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

The advantage of them being unique is that you can save from first snow.

It also (for the direwolf deck) makes Wolfswood playable, allowing you to ambush some of those returned cards back into play: Summer, Lady, or even Direwolf Pup.

But yes, a deck that relies on wide boards will be hurt by First Snow, but that's already an issue with Wildfire Assault.

• keekohmygod likes this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

double

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

The advantage of them being unique is that you can save from first snow.

It also (for the direwolf deck) makes Wolfswood playable, allowing you to ambush some of those returned cards back into play: Summer, Lady, or even Direwolf Pup.

But yes, a deck that relies on wide boards will be hurt by First Snow, but that's already an issue with Wildfire Assault.

All true. But with 9 Uniques to be saved (at 3 cost or less), that's a lot of cards to dupe. So many, in fact, that it becomes a very tough decision to choose what to run, what to dupe and what to play.

Starks have a lot of moving pieces. Removing 1 or 2 isn't a problem. Removing 4 or 5 at once becomes an issue.

I'm not saying First Snow is OP because it's not. But it is a concern.

I already like The Wolfswood though. Ambushing Lady never gets old. I wonder if there will be some other recursion/Ambush in future Stark? It seems like the Stark kids are always going missing/"dying" then reappearing!
  • agktmte likes this

Stormborn

Stormborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Can Rickon cancel your opponents Summons?

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Don't see why not.

SerKarvolar

SerKarvolar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I can't wait to see little Rickon, running around with Ice, and a military icon/stealth from Syrio Forel.

fauxintel

fauxintel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Without a way to give him an icon, I'd believe this is the kid's primary purpose. :D

Also, I believe FFG should have given Dennis both Rickon and Shaggydog to spoil. For theme! Starks and their wolves! Of the north!

Though I am so, so happy to see Osha back. Stark Crossing will be so much fun after the box.

Stormborn

Stormborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Rickons awesome then.

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Rickon - Prevents Summons, Building Orders, Here to Serve, one of the Redwynes, I'm sure there are others I have missed too. If he is out early game he can make plots a little easier to predict. Decent enough for setup. Non loyal too.

Without shenanigans with Wardens and Kennel Master (which may pull off Pillage with Luwin out) he is only a small Iron Throne aside from his ability.

Osha - Can be pumped by the Wildling Horde - if you include them. Cheap intrigue icon for Stark, and that ability is great for Crossing decks. Non loyal, and easy include for Tyrell Wolf as a second Highgarden (plus making Lady Sansa's Rose easier to pull off), and with Targ in some form to help Mirri Maz Dur.