Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few questions from new players...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Migrating my thread here on the recommendation of dbmeboy as he says there is more activity here than on the official FFG forums...

As he's already answered the first set of questions, I'll simply skip over to the latest set:

A few more questions:

9.  A unit with 2 unit damage and 2 blast damage attacks and two of the other player's unit defends.  The attacker wins the edge battle and focuses his unit to strike.  His 2 unit damage is not enough to kill his target defender.  Does the blast damage still hit the objective?  Basically, do blast damage always hit (unless the unit is killed or exhausted before it can attack)?

10.  As follow up to #9, is there any way to avoid/mitigate blast damage besides shielding?

11.  Is it possible to "skip" reactions?  For example, the objective cards Fall of the Jedi or Defense Protocol.  Can I choose not to put 1 card to the bottom of my deck?  Can I choose NOT to reduce my reserve value?  Other cards have Reactions as well such as Superlaser Engineer, Backstabber, and Devastator that I might not want to use their Reaction ability.

12.  There are some cards that have no unit damage/blast/tactics icons such as the Superlaser Engineer.  However, as per shielding rules, he needs to be declared as attacker or defender for him to be able to put a shield token to a unit or objective.  Assuming he does not die during the engagement, does he still have to be "focused to strike" seeing as he cannot really strike anything?

13.  Can "Back"stabber be a "Front"stabber if I were to use it's ability when attacking?  Basically, I declare attackers, then use Backstabber's Action to play it from my hand into the engagement... does it automatically deal 1 damage to the engaged objective?  It kinda goes against the "Back" bit of Backstabber...

14.  Is there any site that shows all the expansions and the objective sets and specifically the cards themselves that come with each objective set?  I'm trying to be a little picky when buying expansions and direct my purchases to how we plan to expand our decks. (I realize that this might be the site, but still trying to find the info I need)

Thanks in advance for any help!

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

9. You don't resolve blast damage on defense short of a card ability, and I don't recall anything that lets you resolve blast on defense at the moment.  On offfense you get to resolve all your icons even if some will do nothing (blasters with no enemy units).

10. Shields, tactics, guns. Shield the damage, tactics the unit down before it strikes, or kill the unit before it strikes. There is a plethora of events that can do various things as well.

11. The only reactions and interrupts you have to initiate are forced reactions and forced interrupts, the rest are optional.

12. Yes, every unit in an engagement must be focused by the end of the engagement, whether they have no icons, or nothing they can do. Doesn't matter, every unit must be focused to strike at some point in the engagement.

13. That's the only way it's reaction should be used. You can still use him as a surprise on defense but his reaction is for you to ping an objective your attacking, not one of your own... I suppose there is a few very corner cases that you might want to damage your own objectives, but generally speaking your not going to want to do that.

14. Yes, the pinned thread right at the top of this page, "objective sets: revealed and previewed". This lists every pack in every cycle and what sets are in each pack. There is also the " cards " link you get when you click star wars on the left side of the page, but I like the pinned thread better.

SmokeyJ

SmokeyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

9. Yes, if an attacking unit focuses to strike, it resolves it's blast damage on the engaged objective regardless of whether there are defenders or not.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Migrating my thread here on the recommendation of dbmeboy as he says there is more activity here than on the official FFG forums...

As he's already answered the first set of questions, I'll simply skip over to the latest set:

A few more questions:

9.  A unit with 2 unit damage and 2 blast damage attacks and two of the other player's unit defends.  The attacker wins the edge battle and focuses his unit to strike.  His 2 unit damage is not enough to kill his target defender.  Does the blast damage still hit the objective?  Basically, do blast damage always hit (unless the unit is killed or exhausted before it can attack)?

10.  As follow up to #9, is there any way to avoid/mitigate blast damage besides shielding?

11.  Is it possible to "skip" reactions?  For example, the objective cards Fall of the Jedi or Defense Protocol.  Can I choose not to put 1 card to the bottom of my deck?  Can I choose NOT to reduce my reserve value?  Other cards have Reactions as well such as Superlaser Engineer, Backstabber, and Devastator that I might not want to use their Reaction ability.

12.  There are some cards that have no unit damage/blast/tactics icons such as the Superlaser Engineer.  However, as per shielding rules, he needs to be declared as attacker or defender for him to be able to put a shield token to a unit or objective.  Assuming he does not die during the engagement, does he still have to be "focused to strike" seeing as he cannot really strike anything?

13.  Can "Back"stabber be a "Front"stabber if I were to use it's ability when attacking?  Basically, I declare attackers, then use Backstabber's Action to play it from my hand into the engagement... does it automatically deal 1 damage to the engaged objective?  It kinda goes against the "Back" bit of Backstabber...

14.  Is there any site that shows all the expansions and the objective sets and specifically the cards themselves that come with each objective set?  I'm trying to be a little picky when buying expansions and direct my purchases to how we plan to expand our decks. (I realize that this might be the site, but still trying to find the info I need)

Thanks in advance for any help!

9. Your attacker's blast damage will go through, even if he doesn't kill a defender. For example, you're attacking with Luke, the opponent blocks with Vader, and you win edge. Luke deals 2 damage to Vader and 2 damage to the objective when he strikes. 

10. There are some cards that have "Protect objective," they can take the hit. Best way is to lock down attackers with focus before they strike. 

11. Any Reaction that isn't a Forced Reaction can be skipped (or accidentally forgotten, as the case may be :D)

12. You have to focus all units in an engagement. 

13. You can drop Backstabber in as a defender. Because his Reaction isn't Forced, you can choose to skip it. 

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

OOOooooo!!!  "Forced" reactions, I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks for the answers guys!  I'm sure more will come in time... :D

Tripnrocket

Tripnrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
9) don't forget you choose what icons to resolve when striking. If you strike with unit damage and there is a reaction that kills your striking unit before you resolve blast or tactics you will not be able to use those icons as your unit is now gone.

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
You talkin 'bout Zekka!

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Zekka, Lightsaber Deflection, Shien Training... There are options.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

15.  I was talking to one of my friends whose first recommendation was to buy a second starter box.  He explained why, but I'd like to ask here again: Really?  Why?  Just because you can have "two objective sets" and the starter box only contains one of each objective set?  He said some sets are "strong additions to winning deck builds," but which ones?

16.  I'm starting to like the idea of building a Tie Fighter (or ship-based) deck, but I can't imagine playing against a Jedi deck... how would people be taking down Tie Fighters and ISDs?  It just ruins the mental image even though the card game itself is cool.

17.  For tournaments, each player has to bring TWO decks?  Wow, this is such a change (I used to play MTG) but I can see the benefit in that a player can thus appreciate BOTH sides of the game, unlike in MTG where I **NEVER** played blue.

18.  What game mats do you guys use?  I see the usual MTG-sized mats but I'm skeptical whether it has enough "real estate" for this game.

EDIT:

19.  Speaking of making Fighter-based decks, I'm looking at the card database but would appreciate it if people could highlight which expansions/force packs I should be considering.  Thanks!

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

15.  I was talking to one of my friends whose first recommendation was to buy a second starter box.  He explained why, but I'd like to ask here again: Really?  Why?  Just because you can have "two objective sets" and the starter box only contains one of each objective set?  He said some sets are "strong additions to winning deck builds," but which ones?

If your going to play competitively, in other words, tournaments, then this game is no different than every other card game out there in that you want to build a consistent deck and generally speaking, consistency means playing multiples of your best cards to have the best chance to draw them.  The core set has some very strong sets still.  A few of the Sith sets are still some of the best, theres a couple rebel sets that are still very good, the Han set is good, a couple of the jedi are very good sets, and a couple navy sets are still relevant.

16.  I'm starting to like the idea of building a Tie Fighter (or ship-based) deck, but I can't imagine playing against a Jedi deck... how would people be taking down Tie Fighters and ISDs?  It just ruins the mental image even though the card game itself is cool.

You better get used to the abstract aspect of the game and develop an imagination, otherwise you might not like the game.  This is not the star wars CCG, so there is not planet locations and space locations etc etc.  Your units are fighting over objective (which are sometimes locations).  So when chewbacca takes down a star destroyer, imagine him being aboard the ship and deactivating it or placing charges on boards to blow it up etc 

17.  For tournaments, each player has to bring TWO decks?  Wow, this is such a change (I used to play MTG) but I can see the benefit in that a player can thus appreciate BOTH sides of the game, unlike in MTG where I **NEVER** played blue.

Correct, a LS deck and a DS deck

18.  What game mats do you guys use?  I see the usual MTG-sized mats but I'm skeptical whether it has enough "real estate" for this game.

I use the mats that i win from tournaments and game night kits, but any card game mat works just fine.

19.  Speaking of making Fighter-based decks, I'm looking at the card database but would appreciate it if people could highlight which expansions/force packs I should be considering.  Thanks!

go to the cards tab, click the more search options, and  put "fighter" in the trait box.  then just select what factions you want to see them in.  that'll give you all the fighter sets to look through.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

EDIT:

15. What to buy really depends on what your goal is.  A 2nd starter box doesn't get you any new cards, but deck building options are greatly improved when you have the ability to double up on sets.  For competitive building, you're much more likely to find the card you want if you have it x2 (you mentioned you've played MtG, this is basically the same reason you'd run cards x4 in MtG decks).  That said, if you're mostly playing casually and not against people using "competitive" decks, there's no rush to get a 2nd core set.  You can get whatever products seem interesting to you.  The deluxe expansions are quite good for expanding the options for their specific affiliations.

16. It can take some getting used to.  There are plenty of ways that Jedi could affect Fighters though.  They could get to the pilots before it takes off, they could plant mines/explosives, they could throw their lightsaber/some other large object, etc.  For capital ships, that could represent something as straight forward as sneaking on-board and causing damage or something as abstract as planting false information somewhere and getting the ISD to jump to the wrong system/into a dangerous area.  The only limit is your imagination.

17. Tournaments have you play both Light Side and Dark Side against each opponent.  If you only had to bring 1 deck, you'd risk everyone showing up with a Dark Side deck only and not being able to play.  That said, you'll never be forced to play any particular affiliation, so if you don't like whatever the SWLCG equivalent of Blue is (Scum maybe?), you don't have to play it.

18. The game can get crowded, but I usually have enough room on a normal playmat.  I usually use ones from the various FFG prize support, but I also have a couple of custom ones I like to break out.  Use whatever you'd like (or even no mat at all if you wish).

19. I'd recommend checking out the various packs from the Rogue Squadron cycle.  Both Navy and Sith got some good Fighter options across those packs.  Superior Numbers (from the pack Darkness and Light, Echoes of the Force cycle) is also worth considering if you're wanting a Dark Side fighters deck.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

I think you can survive without two cores these days, since there's so many expansions. I'd say it's only a must for Sith now and that will probably change with the new deluxe too (the only set being a 2x of in the future will probably be palpatine, but playing GA palpatine is probably a decent enought alternative anyway). Most Jedi decks run only 1 core luke for an example.

If you want to play Ties & vehicles, I also recommend the rogue squadron cycle.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks for the advice guys!

Went out today and purchased Draw Their Fire and Ready for Takeoff as well as the Balance of the Force expansion (was curious about multi-player card game) and I noticed that some cards started with D01 and L01 and their card backs were not the usual red/blue "Star Wars" logos.  What's up with that?

Thanks for the recommendation on the Rogue Squadron cycle, that's why I bought the two packs.  I'd also like to say thanks for the recommendation to hold of on the 2nd core set --- I'd rather see new objective sets first and then see if I still want more of the stuff that came from the core set.  Having said that, it was so weird opening the packs and then noticing it had two of each objective set.  I guess I'm too used to MTG's random boosters that seeing two of a card feels weird!

I am (or I should say "we!") getting used to having a bit of imagination when playing the game.  This was so much easier in MTG where we could see creatures fighting it out in the battlefield and maybe a fireball coming down and burning some of them to a crisp... this game just needs a little more twist, but it's quite fun!

I think I'll maybe buy a couple more Fighter-based packs and then explore other stuff so:
20.  What expansions/force packs are great for Jedi/Sith-based decks?  I guess it goes without saying that this means people-with-lightsabers battling it out instead of fighters in space.

21.  In MTG, I would immediately sleeve the mythics and rare cards that I find, and sleeve the known valuable cards.  I would also never play without sleeving the cards.  In this game, I find myself undecided with what to do.  Some of the guys I saw would keep cards in binders unsleeved and would just sleeve the ones they'd use in a deck, but I don't think I like the idea of having to re-sleeve and un-sleeve cards.  Has anyone sleeved their entire collection of cards?

22.  One of the guys I saw would keep his cards in a binder with an objective card by itself in one slot and then right beside it would be the 5 cards that go with the objective card.  I don't see the point in this as I like to see what cards the 5 cards are and then choose it if I like it... not choose the objective card!  I asked him about this and he said to put each card in a slot would take too much space!  Any thoughts on this?  I was thinking maybe combine the two methods... have one set in individual slots and then the second set "as one" in one slot.

23.  I'm curious what the "bling" is for this game.  I've never seen any and I'm curious what is out there?

24.  Are all expansions "themed" or scenario-based?  Can I play 2v2 or 1v2 or 1v3 using the "normal" cards?  Or is this play just for scenarios?

25.  Aside from the sleeve- and binder-options I'm asking about, what other storage options have you guys been using for this game?  I've found out that Ultra-Pro sleeves aren't ideal for this card game as the hologram can block out some card info and so I used Ultimate Guard sleeves instead.  I've also been thinking of using this deck case as a one-stop storage case for my cards and needed tokens, but again, I wonder what else is out there?

chauncey

chauncey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm in the process of sleeving my entire collection but its a pain as I'm doing 250 cards at a time. I'm also using the official ffg sleeves.

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

D01 and L01 are set numbers for the multiplayer challenge decks. Their intended use is that one player plays the entire D01 or L01 deck (without any customization or deckbuilding), and two or three other players all play the opposite side. The cards in those decks aren't legal for one-on-one play.

20) For that, you'll mostly want the Echoes cycle. Here's what those packs have:

* Heroes and Legends has Kyle Katarn and Jerec

* Lure of the Dark Side has Mara Jade

* Knowledge and Defense has no lightsaber wielding folks, but it does have the Moldy Crow, which is pretty awesome

* Join Us Or Die has a new Yoda, whose set (May the Force Be With You) is widely considered to be the single strongest (some would say OP) set in the game

* It Binds All Things has a new, Jedi-affiliated Leia

* Darkness and Light has Ferus Olin

Of course, can't forget the Between the Shadows deluxe. It's focused on Jedi and Scum, and Jedi got new versions of Luke, Obi-Wan and Yoda (but beware, the Yoda set from this box and MTFBWY are restricted - meaning you can't use both of them in the same deck in competitive play).

21, 22, 25) I don't feel like spending that much on sleeves. What I did was buy a ton of ultra pro penny sleeves (2 5/8" x 3 5/8") and stick both copies of a pod in one such sleeve (yes, those sleeves are that big). I then store my cards in the base game boxes (though I've bought inserts for them from a Polish guy on etsy). Storing in binders is an option I considered, but ultimately decided against - partly because I don't like the idea of tossing the base game boxes out, and if I have them, I might as well use them, and partly because my local store doesn't stock such binders or binder pages. But if I was using binders, I'd also store an entire pod in a single pocket. Don't worry about only choosing the objective card; as you play more, you'll simply remember what cards come in each pod and seeing the objective will be enough.

23) There's the tournament rewards - alt art cards (but note, if you use any and play competitively, there's an official requirement to use opaque sleeves, because the alt arts are made with a different process than the regular cards and would be easy to tell apart otherwise), custom tokens, deckboxes and playmats.

24) I've never tried multiplayer myself, but I think 1v2 and 1v3 are supposed to be played with the challenge decks only, whereas 2v2 uses regular cards. Note, though, that in multiplayer cards that modify your losing condition (e.g., Heart of the Empire) do work, but cards that modify your winning condition (e.g., Trench Run) don't.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I hope to skip the official FFG sleeves this time.  They're a bit too generous on the top of the sleeve which I don't like; I prefer the "exact" fit of Ultra Pro sleeves.  However, I've decided to "up my game" this time and I'm going for KMC Hyper Mat sleeves which are a little on the expensive side and that's been getting me to think twice about sleeving everything.

26.  As for the D01 and L01 card sets... do all expansions have such card sets?  I mean cards that are scenario-based but are NOT useful for tournament play?

27.  Looking at the Tie Phantom, does this mean that until this unit is used/focused, it cannot be shot at or affected by any card in any way (tactics, damage, etc.)?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I hope to skip the official FFG sleeves this time.  They're a bit too generous on the top of the sleeve which I don't like; I prefer the "exact" fit of Ultra Pro sleeves.  However, I've decided to "up my game" this time and I'm going for KMC Hyper Mat sleeves which are a little on the expensive side and that's been getting me to think twice about sleeving everything.

26.  As for the D01 and L01 card sets... do all expansions have such card sets?  I mean cards that are scenario-based but are NOT useful for tournament play?

27.  Looking at the Tie Phantom, does this mean that until this unit is used/focused, it cannot be shot at or affected by any card in any way (tactics, damage, etc.)?

On sleeves: I use Ultra-Pro matte sleeves, they rock--especially because I play over Skype a lot. My buddies make fun of me for the tight fit, but I tell them to eat it. 

26. Balance of the Force was the only expansion with scenario-based cards. 

27. That is correct, but only if it's in an engagement. If it's ready but not participating, it can still be hit by tactics, targeted strike, card effects etc. Also, the text says it can't be "targeted," so it can still be affected by non-targeting cards like board wipes. 

R2Deakin

R2Deakin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
26) The challenge decks are unique to Balance of the Force so far and unless they release another multiplayer expansion we don't expect to see any more.

27) As long as there are no focus tokens on him your opponent cannot use any card effect that uses the 'target' mechanic or by combat icons(tactics, damage). Something like The False Report should still work because it doesn't 'target' the TIE Phantom. Someone like dbmeboy may be able to explain this better.

EDIT: False Report is outside of combat so it would work anyway but it was the first example I could think of off hand that didn't target.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I would still be using Ultra-Pro sleeves if it wasn't for the hologram :(   Up until then, I was somewhat happy with Ultra-Pro, but now I'm being made aware of other card sleeve manufacturers

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Proximity Mines would be a good example of a card that can affect TIE Phantoms before they strike as it affects all attacking units and doesn't target anything.