Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few questions from new players...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

No. #18 (Hit and Run) is restricted to the Light side and #36 (Reconnaissance Mission) is restricted to the Dark Side, as their card backs suggest. The Core set comes with two copies to make it easier for players who only have a single Core set to build two 10-objective decks and explore the game's factions.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

I think the reason it comes with 2 copies of each is so that you can build all 4 starter decks (the 8-objective decks listed in the rule book) at the same time.

• Gamer257, yodaman and Thaliak like this

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

That makes sense.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I think the reason it comes with 2 copies of each is so that you can build all 4 starter decks (the 8-objective decks listed in the rule book) at the same time.

Yeah, makes sense NOW.  Confused the hell out of me though!  Thanks!

Mitru

Mitru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
About the sleeves and storage options.

For me I sleeved all my cards with transparent ultra pro sleeves and I put the holograms on the back of the cards. I put the objectives carda in colors sleeves to make a cut between two sets of objectives and his cards.

For storage I put each factions in a standard 800 cards box and I have enough places for the upcoming expansions ;-)

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks for that, Mitru!  Unfortunately, I have had enough Ultra-Pro sleeves split on me that I've decided to stop using them.  The downside is that my preferred replacement sleeves are much more expensive :(   I might have to use old Ultra-Pro sleeves for the "storage" cards for now and then just re-sleeve them when I either use them in a deck or when I get the money to buy sleeves.  At the moment, I think I'd rather buy cards as having to sleeve all of them just ups the cost of the hobby to silly levels.

30.  With the Yoda, You Seek Yoda card, would I still have to pay 3 resources to put Yoda into play?  So basically a total of 5 resources to find him in the deck and put him into play?

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

30.  With the Yoda, You Seek Yoda card, would I still have to pay 3 resources to put Yoda into play?  So basically a total of 5 resources to find him in the deck and put him into play?

the whole point of the card is to put him into play.  Putting a card into play is a means that cards come into play without paying their deploy cost.  Yodas typical deploy cost is 3, yoda, you seek yoda's cost is 2 plus a dial tick of 1, and that puts him into play, just as the card says.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

So why is there an "if able" bit on the card text?  I thought "if able" roughly meant "if you can pay his cost"?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

So why is there an "if able" bit on the card text? I thought "if able" roughly meant "if you can pay his cost"?

There's a possibility that you can't play him, either because he's already in play (d'oh!) or he's not in your deck--maybe you forgot you already edged both copies, for example.

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Or they were captured via effects like Tatooine Crash/Slave Trade.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

So basically, this is "pay 2 resources, up the Death Star dial by 1, and get Yoda for free"?

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Correct.

As Boba said, "put in play" effects ignore the deploy cost of a card.

For example, if you were to play the Rebel event card "Infiltration" with Han Solo, you only need to pay 1 resource (the cost of the event), not 5 (+4 from Han himself).

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

So basically, this is "pay 2 resources, up the Death Star dial by 1, and get Yoda for free"?

Basically yeah, yes your not paying HIS deployment cost, but you are paying the events cost which is 2 resources plus the dial tick, but its very good because it tutors him out of your deck.

This is sometimes a confusing point of contention for newer players since the terminology is fairly similar.  PLAY and PUT INTO PLAY are two different ways things enter play.  units that are put into play get around any restrictions of things being played.  For instance, the LIMITED keyword only allows you to PLAY 1 limited card per turn, however, if you have a way to put a limited card into play viz an ability or what not, then you can get around that restriction.  This is just 1 example, but hopefully it will help with the distinction.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

On my Rebel Fighter deck, I have The Defense of Yavin 4 which reads: "Interrupt: When you play a Vehicle unit, discard X cards from your hand to reduce its cost by X (to a minimum of 1)."

If I have two of these objectives out, will 1 discarded card count as two?  For example, if I play a 4-cost vehicle unit, can I discard 1 card and reduce the cost to 2?

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

On my Rebel Fighter deck, I have The Defense of Yavin 4 which reads: "Interrupt: When you play a Vehicle unit, discard X cards from your hand to reduce its cost by X (to a minimum of 1)."

If I have two of these objectives out, will 1 discarded card count as two?  For example, if I play a 4-cost vehicle unit, can I discard 1 card and reduce the cost to 2?

Bananope. Each discarded will still reduce the cost by 1 only. About the only benefit of having both objectives out is that you can keep the ability for longer against an aggressive DS deck.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

How about Enforced Loyalty?  If you have two of them out, does that mean each objective gets damaged twice?

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

How about Enforced Loyalty?  If you have two of them out, does that mean each objective gets damaged twice?

Nope.

"Limit 1 per turn" means you can only use the named card once during the whole turn, so if you have both copies of Enforced Loyalty out, you can only react with one.

"Limit once per turn" means you can use each copy of a card once during the turn. Some examples are Attack Pattern Delta and The Survivors. If you have both copies out at the same time, you can use them both each turn.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Wow...

"Limit 1 per turn" is different from "Limit once per turn"??  :unsure:

Can you please cite rules page reference or FAQ reference for both Enforced Loyalty/Attack Pattern Delta and Defense of Yavin 4 examples?  I'm quite sure this will come up on the next game and I want to be able to point the players to the proper ruling.  Thanks!

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

From page 7 of the latest FAQ:

(4.8) Limits
“Limit once per X” refers to that specific ability on that particular card. Each copy of a card with such a limit may trigger its ability once per each period of X. This type of limit tends to appear on cards that stay in play.

“Limit 1 per X” refers to all copies of a card, by title. Only 1 copy of a card with the same title may be triggered by each player during each period of X. This type of limit tends to appear on event cards.

If a card or effect with a limit is canceled, it is still considered to have been played or triggered, and counts towards the limit.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks for the help guys!

I come with yet more questions from today's games:

30.  I have a Tie Phantom that is ready; he attacks, the Phantom defends.  On the edge stack, he puts a Fate card, IIRC something that focuses the Phantom.  When he reveals the stack and tries to put a focus token on the Phantom, I say he can't because the Phantom is still ready and so the card text is in effect.  He counters with two questions: is the Fate card effect considered an "enemy card effect" or a "neutral card effect"?  He says he considered Fate cards "neutral" so it should slip through.  I said "well, it's not a friendly card, ie my card, so it's enemy card."  Second counter - it's not a "card effect" but a Fate cart.  I say "it's printed on a card, so it's a card effect."

Thoughts?

31.  Can you use a card text that says something like "Action: Focus this card/objective/enhancement to do X, Y, Z" if there is already a focus token on the card?

32.  Wicket is declared an attacker.  Does his ability kick in straight away?  Argument was thus: Because his ability kicks in RIGHT AFTER he is declared as an attacker and BEFORE any defenders are declared, he can put a focus token on Tie Phantom because the Phantom's ability reads "While this unit is ready AND PARTICIPATING IN AN ENGAGEMENT".... so basically, Wicket targets the Phantom before the it "participates in an engagement."  Is this correct?  If so, then the Phantom can be locked down with Tactics if it's not participating in an engagement?

33.  Tie Interceptors - Does the Pilot enhancement still contribute to the Force struggle even if the Interceptor has been exhausted?  Does the Interceptor even have to be committed to the Force?

34.  The Tarkin Doctrine - He has The Tarkin Doctrine and two other objectives.  I attack Objective 1 with an X-Wing, he "Tarkins" me and I don't have any resources.  Can that same X-Wing now attack Objective 2?  I have a Y-Wing and a Jedi unit as well.  The Y-Wing attacks The Tarkin Doctrine.  Can the Jedi unit still attack Objective 1?

35.  Is damage assigned one point at a time or all at once?  For example, I have a 3-HP vehicle unit with Protect Vehicle and anotehr 3-HP vehicle unit.  He attack, I block with the non-Protect vehicle.  His unit can do 4 unit damage.  Does the vehicle die before the Protect effect comes in to play?

36.  As per #35, but what if the non-Protect vehicle was a Rogue Squadron X-Wing with a pilot enhancement?  Does it die before I can discard the Pilot enhancement?