Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few questions from new players...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Sweet!  That makes Attack Pattern Delta so cool!  Thanks for clearing that up!

44.  I just came across the Executor and I wonder how exactly can a card be sacrificed?  Does there have to be a trigger for the sacrifice?  Or can I just start my turn, sacrifice (ie, discard outside of the discard phase) a card, and deal damage?  Can I sacrifice more than one card?  Can I "sacrifice" my entire hand to deal 6 damage?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Sweet!  That makes Attack Pattern Delta so cool!  Thanks for clearing that up!

44.  I just came across the Executor and I wonder how exactly can a card be sacrificed?  Does there have to be a trigger for the sacrifice?  Or can I just start my turn, sacrifice (ie, discard outside of the discard phase) a card, and deal damage?  Can I sacrifice more than one card?  Can I "sacrifice" my entire hand to deal 6 damage?

You need another card effect that allows you to sacrifice. Examples include ISB Liaisons, Holocron, Aggression, Icetrompers, Killing Cold. Sacrifice doesn't mean discarding outside the draw phase, you can only sacrifice cards that are in play. 

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Okay, so the card needs to be on the table for it to be sacrificed.... but I just can't sacrifice a card without ISB Liaison, Aggression, or any card that tells me to sacrifice? 

44a. What if I have two ISB Liaisons out and two copies of Aggression in my hand, plus, say two other units and the Executor in play... can I sacrifice the two Liaisons (and draw two cards) to deal 2 damage, then use Aggression twice and sacrifice the two other units to deal another 2 damage?

45.  Proxies --- so far I now have 5 DS decks and 6 LS decks built and ready for testing.  I'm guessing I'm okay to scan and print out a few more copies of the Force cards and the Affiliation cards?  Saves me from having to transfer the originals around and also saves me from having to remember which affiliation goes on which deck.  I'm sure this is okay for casual play and I'm assuming that this is NOT okay for competitive play (I'll just have to fish out the originals), but what other options do I have?  Can I buy more Force and Affiliation cards from FFG?  Or from someone else?  I only bought two copies of the Core box but with so many decks and me and my son playing, well, more Force and Affiliation cards would be really handy.

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
Pm me your address, I have some player made ones and some extras.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Pm me your address, I have some player made ones and some extras.

PM sent, but asking for pics first... if it's player-made off a PDF file or something, I may save you the shipping cost... but please check PM anyway!  Thanks very much! :D

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

44a. What if I have two ISB Liaisons out and two copies of Aggression in my hand, plus, say two other units and the Executor in play... can I sacrifice the two Liaisons (and draw two cards) to deal 2 damage, then use Aggression twice and sacrifice the two other units to deal another 2 damage?

Yes. The reaction on The Executor doesn't specify a limit, so you can trigger it in response to every sacrifice, including ones the Light Side player makes. Assuming the Light Side player has at least two units, you would actually do 6 damage: two from sacrificing the ISB Liaisons, two from sacrificing units to Aggression, and two from the units the Light Side sacrifices to Aggression.

You'd also be able to trigger The Executor's reaction in response to voluntary Light Side sacrifices. For example, you could trigger it if the Light Side sacrifices the original C-3P0 to cancel an event, or sacrifices an Unhinged Astromech to use its ability.

If you don't have Force cards, consider turning units sideways to indicate they are committed. I often forget to pack Force cards with my decks and have never had anyone complain when I ask to do that.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
You can also use just about anything to denote force commitment, since the cards are just markers and aren't considered "cards" for most game effects. In a pinch pennies, poker cards, etc can be used as force cards.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

You can also use just about anything to denote force commitment, since the cards are just markers and aren't considered "cards" for most game effects. In a pinch pennies, poker cards, etc can be used as force cards.

You can do this. You can also use poker chips for damage and focus. Just be clear to your opponent what outside materials are for.

Personally I think cards are still best for force commitment because that is what most of us are used to.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  I agree cards are what we're used to, so I was thinking of scanning the cards and print them out onto cardstock, cut to size, then use as "normal."

46.  Black Squadron -- I have Guarding the Wing objective card out, and unless I'm reading it wrong, ALL cards with the Black Squadron trait has one resource (to be spent only on Black Squadron cards)... so if I had two Black Squadron Fighter units out and each unit had a Black Squadron Pilot attached as a Pilot enhancement, I basically have 4 resources available (1 from each card, to be spent only on Black Squadron cards), correct?

46a.  I suspect even Elite Pilot Training counts as 1 resource?

46b.  I have two Black Squadron Fighters, each with a Black Squadron Pilot.  I want to play Black Squadron.  I only pay 3 resources, correct?

46c.  I have two Black Squadron Fighters, one with DS-61-3 as a Pilot enhancement card.  I play a Black Squadron Pilot, paying 1 resource from an objective card and 1 resource from DS-61 to play it, and discard DS-61 to the discard pile.  DS-61 goes to the discard pile and the focus token on him goes back to the supply, correct?  I then pay 1 resource from an objective card and 1 resource from Black Squadron Pilot (enhancement) to put a Black Squadron pilot on the other Black Squadron Fighter.  Now I have two Black Squadron Fighters, one with a "focused" Black Squadron Pilot (enhancement) and one with a ready Black Squadron Pilot (enhancement).  Is this good so far?

46d.  (scenario 1) Following the setup on 46c, I proceed to attack an enemy objective using the Black Squadron Fighter with the "focused" Black Squadron Pilot.  Opposing player defends with Obi-Wan and I end up winning the edge battle, with a Stay on Target fate card in the edge stack.  I use the Stay on Target to bring back DS-61-3 and put him in the Black Squadron Fighter unit, discarding the "focused" Black Squadron Pilot (pilot goes to the discard pile, focus token returns to token supply).  DS-61 hits Obi-Wan for 2 damage, then I focus the Black Squadron Fighter to strike, killing Obi-Wan.  Quite a bit of juggling there, but is this legal?

46e.  (scenario 2) Following the setup on 46c, I proceed to attack an enemy objective using the Black Squadron Fighter with the "focused" Black Squadron Pilot.  Opposing player defends with Obi-Wan and I end up winning the edge battle, with a Stay on Target fate card in the edge stack.  I use the Stay on Target to bring back DS-61-3 and put him in the OTHER Black Squadron Fighter unit (the one NOT participating in combat), discarding the ready Black Squadron Pilot.  Does DS-61 still hit Obi-Wan for 2 damage?  Then I focus the Black Squadron Fighter to strike, killing Obi-Wan.  Quite a bit of juggling there, but is this legal?

46f.  Following the setup on 46e, I now have one exhausted BSF with an exhausted BSP pilot enhancement, and one ready BSF with a ready DS-61-3.  I attack another objective using the ready BSF/DS-61.  He defends with Yoda.  I have another DS-61 in my hand and manage to win the edge battle again.  Can I focus the DS-61 enhancement to bring in the DS-61 from my hand (discarding the "focused" DS-61 and putting the focus token back to the token supply) and again deal 2 damage to Yoda then kill him with the BSF?

This actually happened tonight in a test game against my son and I just want to make double-sure that I did things correctly.

Thanks!

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

46.  Black Squadron -- I have Guarding the Wing objective card out, and unless I'm reading it wrong, ALL cards with the Black Squadron trait has one resource (to be spent only on Black Squadron cards)... so if I had two Black Squadron Fighter units out and each unit had a Black Squadron Pilot attached as a Pilot enhancement, I basically have 4 resources available (1 from each card, to be spent only on Black Squadron cards), correct?

Yes.

46a.  I suspect even Elite Pilot Training counts as 1 resource?

Yes.

46b.  I have two Black Squadron Fighters, each with a Black Squadron Pilot.  I want to play Black Squadron.  I only pay 3 resources, correct?

Correct.

46c.  I have two Black Squadron Fighters, one with DS-61-3 as a Pilot enhancement card.  I play a Black Squadron Pilot, paying 1 resource from an objective card and 1 resource from DS-61 to play it, and discard DS-61 to the discard pile.  DS-61 goes to the discard pile and the focus token on him goes back to the supply, correct?  I then pay 1 resource from an objective card and 1 resource from Black Squadron Pilot (enhancement) to put a Black Squadron pilot on the other Black Squadron Fighter.  Now I have two Black Squadron Fighters, one with a "focused" Black Squadron Pilot (enhancement) and one with a ready Black Squadron Pilot (enhancement).  Is this good so far?

Yes.

46d.  (scenario 1) Following the setup on 46c, I proceed to attack an enemy objective using the Black Squadron Fighter with the "focused" Black Squadron Pilot.  Opposing player defends with Obi-Wan and I end up winning the edge battle, with a Stay on Target fate card in the edge stack.  I use the Stay on Target to bring back DS-61-3 and put him in the Black Squadron Fighter unit, discarding the "focused" Black Squadron Pilot (pilot goes to the discard pile, focus token returns to token supply).  DS-61 hits Obi-Wan for 2 damage, then I focus the Black Squadron Fighter to strike, killing Obi-Wan.  Quite a bit of juggling there, but is this legal?

Yes.

46e.  (scenario 2) Following the setup on 46c, I proceed to attack an enemy objective using the Black Squadron Fighter with the "focused" Black Squadron Pilot.  Opposing player defends with Obi-Wan and I end up winning the edge battle, with a Stay on Target fate card in the edge stack.  I use the Stay on Target to bring back DS-61-3 and put him in the OTHER Black Squadron Fighter unit (the one NOT participating in combat), discarding the ready Black Squadron Pilot.  Does DS-61 still hit Obi-Wan for 2 damage?  Then I focus the Black Squadron Fighter to strike, killing Obi-Wan.  Quite a bit of juggling there, but is this legal?

Yes. DS-61-3's reaction only cares if he enters play while an engagement is going on. It doesn't matter whether he enters play enhancing a vehicle in that engagement. In fact, you could use his reaction even if you had a way to play him as a unit rather than as a pilot.

46f.  Following the setup on 46e, I now have one exhausted BSF with an exhausted BSP pilot enhancement, and one ready BSF with a ready DS-61-3.  I attack another objective using the ready BSF/DS-61.  He defends with Yoda.  I have another DS-61 in my hand and manage to win the edge battle again.  Can I focus the DS-61 enhancement to bring in the DS-61 from my hand (discarding the "focused" DS-61 and putting the focus token back to the token supply) and again deal 2 damage to Yoda then kill him with the BSF?

No. DS-61-3 is a unique unit, and you can only have one copy of a unique unit in play at a time. You can only play a card if doing so would be legal as you initiate the process of playing the card.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
Everything is correct until 46f. You cannot play or put into play a unique unit you already have in play. You could use Stay on Target to pull back the BS Pilot onto the Fighter that had DS-61-3 which discards him and then pay to put DS-61-3 into play from your hand. You could pay with the BS Pilot and then discard him. A resource match is not necessary.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Wow... the pilot and effect juggling "felt" legal but made the deck so fast I wasn't sure if I was doing things correctly.  A Black Squadron aggressive deck... sweet!

As for 46f, I see what you guys are saying but can someone please point me to a ruling?  All I can find about this is the Piloting Limit rule on p.16 of the FAQ.

47.  I wanted to use an objective set that said "Imperial Navy affiliation only."  Can I still make a deck with, say, two Imperial Navy pods, three Sith pods, and just use an Imperial Navy affiliation card with the deck?  Or does the deck have to be composed purely of Imperial Navy pods?  Again, please point me to a ruling about this. 

Thanks so much for all the help guys!!

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
46f
Page 26 main rulebook unique cards
"When a unique card is in play, no player can play or put into play another card with the same card title."

Page 28 main rulebook
"The affiliation of an objective set does not need to match the affiliation of a player’s affiliation card, unless the set’s objective card text includes “[name of] affiliation only”. Note that objective sets must still belong to the side of the Force (LS or DS) that matches a player’s affiliation card."

So yes you can run 2x Navy Affiliation Only Objective set, 8 Sith and run the Navy Affiliation Card.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks very much for the references!  I don't know why I went to the FAQ instead of the actual rulebook... duh!

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Just bumping for my question #45.  I found this thread with awesome alternate affiliation card designs, I wonder if anyone has other resources?  I'm also looking for force cards.

Thanks!

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Just bumping for my question #45. I found this thread with awesome alternate affiliation card designs, I wonder if anyone has other resources? I'm also looking for force cards.

Thanks!

I printed these off on a nice quality matte photo card and slipped them in a sleeve with a card behind for support. I use them most of the time. The Fett and Rebel ones in particular are really nice.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Letux's extra Force Affiliation cards just came in the post today and I am blown away by them!!  So simple yet so cool!  The only pity is that they are double-sided...

20160726_144751_zpslgqcdqdm.jpg

20160726_144727_zps1monpphj.jpg

Anyone know the source of these or where I can get more or get it printed out?

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
I think Killerangel made them?

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Grrr!! Where's the search function in this forum?

medfreeman

medfreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Grrr!! Where's the search function in this forum?

In case you don't know the trick just type in google:

'site:cardgamedb.com star wars lcg SOMETHING'

• Thaliak likes this