Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few questions from new players...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

57.  "Cannot be targeted by card effects".... my opponent had this card and his Ewoks cannot be targeted by card effects.  I had Protect the Generator out but he said that my card would not affect his Ewoks.  Is this correct?  How about Moment of Triumph?

58.  I have a Mouse Droid in play.  All his units are focused.  I activate the Mouse Droid to draw a card.  Can he put a focus token on his already-focus'd unit to cancel the Mouse Droid effect?

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

57. If the card isn't using the word "target" then it isn't targeting. Both Protect the Generator and Moment of Triumph would still afect the Ewoks.

58. Nope. Only ready units can be focused, so in that scenario he wouldn't be able to stop you from drawing.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks for the answer, can you please post where it says that in the rules/FAQ?

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

57. Target (Rulebook, pg. 27) --> 'the term "target" refers to a game element chosen as the subject or recipient of an effect. [...]. If there is no valid target for a targeting effect, the effect cannot be initiated".

Protect the Generator doesn't give either player a chance to target the recipient of its effect. DS just decides to activate or not when the triggering condition is met.

Moment of Triumph isn't targeting either. You simply pay for it, and then destroy every unit with a cost of 2 or lower. You can't pick who's affected and who isn't.

58. A matter of focus (Rulebook, pg. 10) --> "A card with one or more focus tokens is considered exhausted. A player cannot focus an exhausted card".

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks for pointing out the rules.  At least next time, I can show them the rules and not just "but a guy on the forums said so!" :D

59.  The enemy player has Log Trap.  I attack with two or three units.  Can he specify which unit gets a focus token or can the attacking player choose which unit gets focused?  As always, please refer to rules/FAQ when you answer!

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

59. The player affected by Log Trap picks who gets focused. I can't find a rules reference, but if Log Trap's controller were allowed to choose the unit, the card would read, "place 1 focus token on 1 attacking unit your opponent controls" rather than beginning with "have your opponent place..." You can find similar wording in Dark Lord of the Sith and Stygeon Prison Guard, both of which let the affected player choose where the token goes. In contrast, Jedi Mind Trick, which begins with "place 1 focus token..." rather than "have your opponent place...," lets the Light Side player choose who gets focused.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

"Focus this enhancement to have your opponent place 1 focus token on 1 attacking unit he controls."

He argued that what he was basically doing was TELLING the opponent where to place the focus token.  I asked "isn't it up to the opponent which unit gets focused?" and obviously, the (wrong) answer was "no."  If I could point where it is in the rules/FAQ that says otherwise, that would be great!

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Unfortunately, I can't find an entry in the rules or FAQ that addresses this question. Nor can I find an official ruling on Log Trap, Heavy Blaster Emplacement, A Dark Time for the Rebellion, Dark Lord of the Sith, or Stygeon Prison Guard, the cards I can think of that instruct the opponent to perform an action rather than having the controlling player perform that action. The logic is clear, but on the off chance others have the same problem you do, I've taken the liberty of sending the question to FFG through the rules question page on FFG's website. I'll post the reply if I get one.

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

I got an answer. Here you go:

Question

There are several cards that force the opponent to damage or place a focus token on a unit he controls rather than instructing the controlling player to perform that action. Examples include Log Trap, Heavy Blaster Emplacement, Dark Lord of the Sith, A Dark Time for the Rebellion, and Stygeon Prison Guard. Would I be correct in assuming these cards allow the affected player to choose where the focus or damage goes? In other words, if I'm attacking with Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine and the Light Side focuses Log Trap, do I get to choose which of the two archvillains got outsmarted by ewoks?

Answer

The effects you mention instruct the opposing player to choose where the damage/focus/whatever goes. So, in your example of Log Trap, the LS player uses Log Trap’s action, the DS player chooses which unit it will affect.

It is important to note, however, that this is still an LS card effect (even if the DS player is making choices about what it affects); as such, the DS player could still use things like shields to prevent that focus or damage from being placed.

Erik Dahlman
LCG Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

I hope this helps.