Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What do you think of Ser Davos/Renly/Bastard/Cressen in Greyjoy?

- - - - - greyjoy baratheon ser davos bastard cressen renly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

GomJabbar

GomJabbar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

I've been playing a Greyjoy/Fealty deck for some time.  While it's quite powerful, I love myself some dual-faction from time to time.  I've been looking at some cards and saw Ser Davos.  A 4-cost/3-Power Character with Power/Military, Stealth and a nice interrupt (when killed he gets back to your hand). I'm also tempetd in Maester Cressen, Renly Baratheon and Bastard in Hiding.

I have 3x all the Greyjoys and Baratheons at hand so  most of the good cards are x3 already.  

Did you guys tried a Greyjoy/Baratheon with 3x Ser Davos, Cressen , Renly and Bastard?  That way i'll have my mininum 12 Baratheons, mixed in with Balon, Asha, Theon and Euron plus the other good Greyjoy cards.

Cressen seem nice for iT's Marshalling Action, removing Milk of the Poppy and other annoying Condition attachments.

Renly is expensive but the discount on non-Bara characters is nice.

Bastard in hiding is cheap and can be a good card just to prevent some unopposed challenges and just poke from time to time.

What do you guys think?

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Renly would be fighting for space in the upper levels of your cost curve.  I can safely say that while he is solid banner material, he probably doesn't make the cut when up against Asha, Balon, and Euron.  Also if you include any neutrals like Syrio or Littlefinger. And Renly's benefit only works once a turn.  If it was an evergreen effect, then I'd raise his value.

Cressen is decent for his ability and could probably fit in your deck.

Bastard in Hiding is fighting for space against other things that benefit you more.  To coin the MtG term, BiH is a Bear.  2 cost 2 str for 2 challenge icons.  Great utility and always a solid worker, but Salty Navigator triggers more GJ effects by giving you the initiative boost.

Davos is money.  

If I were to banner Bara right now in GJ, I'd do:

3x Cost reducing chud
3x Davos
2x Cressen
2x Warhammer
2x Even handed Justice

Warhammer to take advantage of your unopposed strengths, Even handed justice to help kneel out their problem characters that you can't get by for whatever reason

GomJabbar

GomJabbar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Love the idea of including the Hammer.

Even ended justice...could be nice coupled with Filthy Accusations...more control but at the cost of kneeling one of your character...but I can see the value.

I'm working on the deck tonight but won't have any chances to try it out until my sunday local tournament...i'll just have to be careful :P

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Yes, you stand one of your own, but if I was planning on using EHJ, I'd keep a couple chuds standing as fodder for it.  

" Play EHJ, I kneel my fish monger and your Tywin".  Seems a fair trade off

Alexfrog

Alexfrog

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 480 posts

I think Greyjoy/Baratheon is interesting, but those are NOT the 12 cards I would include.  (Well, some of them are).

Melisandre is the top include, and should probably be paired with some Seen in Flames and Fiery Followers. 

Davos I'd include at least 1, the stealth is nice.  Shireen I would include 1.  Cressen I would include at least 1.  The 1 cost reducer I would probably include to help setup/claim soak.  I dont see a need for including Bastard at all (playing more greyjoys instead would have more synergy with your other cards).  Renly I would not play, he is overcosted.

Another card to consider is King Robert's Warhammer, which is strong on Balon with Iron Fleet Scout pumps.

Finally, Chamber of the Painted Table is an interesting include, especially as a 1 of with support of the people and Iron Throne in your deck. 

• MaShiKai likes this

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

I want to play Greyjoy/Bara for Davos, but then I want to stop including any more non Greyjoy cards.  If there was another Stealth character (and non-loyal) available in Baratheon, I think this would be a sweet deck.

The problem I have is, Greyjoy has some of the most solid in-faction events for the aggressive play style, and you don't really have room for any more events without cutting characters.  The card pool doesn't currently really allow decks with low character counts, so we're a little stuck on where we can make deck space.  

Even handed justice is good, but Fishing net sort of does the same thing for you, and is repeatable.  It's also cheaper.  With the net you can lock out chump blockers, stealth past the big guys and then Seastone chair them in most cases (a put to the sword or two in all the other cases).  You can't cut Risen, you probably want to keep the Kraken's Grasp in there, so you're running out of space.

Alexfrog

Alexfrog

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 480 posts

I want to play Greyjoy/Bara for Davos, but then I want to stop including any more non Greyjoy cards.  If there was another Stealth character (and non-loyal) available in Baratheon, I think this would be a sweet deck.

Why Davos specifically?  Greyjoy doesnt have much use for his 'cannot die' abilitiy, because Greyjoy can play Risen from the Sea and make things not die, and Aeron and make things come back. 

Yes Davos is nice, but he is basically a generic stealth character for Greyjoy.

Syrio is a neutral that provides nice stealth that could be played instead. 

If bannering for more stealth specifically, there are other options:

Stark gets you Arya, who is like a cheaper Davos.  Also gets you Sansa and new Eddard, who are good at power rushing, which helps the Greyjoy unopposed power claim plan get to 15.

Lannister gets you Tyrion, who is a very strong stealth card with an intrigue stealth!  As well as some other useful cards.

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Why Davos specifically?  Greyjoy doesnt have much use for his 'cannot die' abilitiy, because Greyjoy can play Risen from the Sea and make things not die, and Aeron and make things come back. 

Yes Davos is nice, but he is basically a generic stealth character for Greyjoy.

Syrio is a neutral that provides nice stealth that could be played instead. 

If bannering for more stealth specifically, there are other options:

Stark gets you Arya, who is like a cheaper Davos.  Also gets you Sansa and new Eddard, who are good at power rushing, which helps the Greyjoy unopposed power claim plan get to 15.

Lannister gets you Tyrion, who is a very strong stealth card with an intrigue stealth!  As well as some other useful cards.

Davos strickly for setup and early game stickiness.  At 4 cost with stealth and two icons, he's a second "Theon".  Syrio has decent utility, but he's harder to set up and Tyrion is awesome for sure but most Greyjoy events are low cost so you'd probably also have to play the ambush package as well.  Also the 5 cost.

Arya is my second choice, she's cheap and easy to play, "easier to setup" but then she's just a mono-con.

Of course there are other viable Greyjoy decks and strategies, but mine is focused on being completely unopposed from turn one which requires at least one stealth on setup so that's why I want that 4 coster so bad, I just don't want 9 other non-Greyjoy cards.

Now that Fast Eddie is here, that probably tips the scales in Banner of the Wolf favor because there's some stronger utility now.

Alexfrog

Alexfrog

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 480 posts

Davos strickly for setup and early game stickiness.  At 4 cost with stealth and two icons, he's a second "Theon".  Syrio has decent utility, but he's harder to set up and Tyrion is awesome for sure but most Greyjoy events are low cost so you'd probably also have to play the ambush package as well.  Also the 5 cost.

Arya is my second choice, she's cheap and easy to play, "easier to setup" but then she's just a mono-con.

Of course there are other viable Greyjoy decks and strategies, but mine is focused on being completely unopposed from turn one which requires at least one stealth on setup so that's why I want that 4 coster so bad, I just don't want 9 other non-Greyjoy cards.

Now that Fast Eddie is here, that probably tips the scales in Banner of the Wolf favor because there's some stronger utility now.

Melisandre is also useful at getting you unopposed as well by kneeling potential blockers.  For example, blockers with Stealth.

BullroarerTook

BullroarerTook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Having played GreyStag a lot I agree with Alex that the first 9 cards are tied up in Mel (x3), Fiery (x3), and Seen in Flames (x3).  Arguements can be made for many cards after that.

GomJabbar

GomJabbar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Having played GreyStag a lot I agree with Alex that the first 9 cards are tied up in Mel (x3), Fiery (x3), and Seen in Flames (x3).  Arguements can be made for many cards after that.

The Warhammer as the 3 last cards?

MaShiKai

MaShiKai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

The Warhammer as the 3 last cards?

Shireen, a Davos, a Warhammer. Nice kind of see what sticks bundle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: greyjoy, baratheon, ser davos, bastard, cressen, renly