Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grigory Maksim deck thread

Grigory Maksim

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

EDIT: I meant to make this the deck thread but silly me forgot to actually finish the title. If a mod could edit that in that'll be great fixed

Details about the warlord (and the pack he will be released in) can be found here.

This guy looks badass. I mean, that artwork is just great, as is the art on all of his cards. And then there's the text. I was already a big fan of supports but this guy just makes them so much more useful than they already are. Plus, he loves tanks so he's got two paths to go down that complement each other.

The issue at the moment is the lack of tanks to use. Currently, there are only 2 in faction tanks (Leman Russ, Mordian Hellhound) and 1 out of faction tank (SM, Land Raider) meaning there's a slight inclination to go with space marines over orks, although I'd rather play the Leman Russ over the Land Raider and, without seeing the elite loving cards in the necron box, I doubt there'll be enough economy to play both. However, since all tanks are vehicles it can pay to take some non-tank vehicles along with the dozer blade, since you have 4 targets for it out of the box.

Regarding supports, his ability is not faction specific, which makes every support a potential target, even the Promethium Mine. This means that supports that are somewhat situational can be considered in a similar light to how certain situational events are considered, since at least at the very minimum they can be used as shields. Plus, if they are AM supports they can be recycled should the sig support comes out. However, the issue currently is that there aren't many non-AM supports worth considering (Ammo Depot, Smasha, Ork Kannon, Hallow Librarium, with all of them being deck dependent), so you're probably going to want to focus on the AM supports instead.

This then begs the question, Infantry Conscripts? I'm still going to say no since whilst they could unleash a massive strike onto some helpless Xenos their cost and susceptibility to routing/exhaustion makes them tricky to use, especially since the available tanks are all expensive already.

Speaking of which, like Worr Maksim will want his sig support out as early as possible in order to gain as much from it as possible. Also similar to Worr, Maksim's ability does not require him to be at a combat planet, so he can happily go and command snipe, thus somewhat guaranteeing that his support will trigger each round, almost like Shadowsun's ability (only with more flexibility). It also means you can trigger Sacaellum's finest quite easily as well, which is a plus. As such, the Engiseer Augur is most likely a staple for this warlord, much more so than in Worr.

With all that in mind, here's what I've come up with as a first draft. There will undoubtedly be more tank friendly cards released next cycle to help him out further, but this is based on what we currently have.

Makism/Ork - I want that target dead!

Spoiler

Maksim/SM - Between a tank and a hard place
Spoiler

• sammann11 likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
With so many supports, I'd have though 3 x To Arms! would be a fairly safe pick in any deck?

I'm also thinking this is a deck where the 1 cost reduce cost by 1 support might actually see play. You can run 2 copies, use 1 as a shield and play the other.

Even though its not a tank (why?) I'd consider the Predator in any deck with a Hallowed Librarium. Inspirational Fervour certainly makes sense.
  • Jreilly89 likes this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

What card is Sacaellum's Finest? Btw, I think an alliance with SM makes more sense for Grigory than with Orks. 

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

With so many supports, I'd have though 3 x To Arms! would be a fairly safe pick in any deck?

I'm also thinking this is a deck where the 1 cost reduce cost by 1 support might actually see play. You can run 2 copies, use 1 as a shield and play the other.

Even though its not a tank (why?) I'd consider the Predator in any deck with a Hallowed Librarium. Inspirational Fervour certainly makes sense.

To Arms is only useful if your supports actually exhaust. IF, TT and the sig support all don't exhaust to be used, whilst the Rockcrete is a wasted use (throw a double shield to prevent 1 damage. Only useful against Armourbane and unpreventable damage). That basically just leaves (out the supports most decks will consider) Catachans, Staging Ground (resource + card dependent), Hallow Librarium, Ammo Depot (questionable, throw a card to get a card) and the Smash Battery. That's why my Ork version doesn't take it, whilst my SM version does, since you need enough targets.

I'm just not keen on the cost reducer. Should a Bonesinger Choir equivalent come out then I'd consider it, but not until then.

Predator's just too expensive. If the other 5 costers weren't there the I'd consider it, but I can't justify the cost curve otherwise without some form of cost reducer / alternate income.

What card is Sacaellum's Finest? Btw, I think an alliance with SM makes more sense for Grigory than with Orks. 

New card coming out in Mavros' pack that you can see here. In case the link doesn't work, it's a 4 cost 2/3/4 with the Soldier and Sacaellum traits that reads:
Reaction: After you win a battle at a non-first green planet, instead of triggering the planet's Battle ability, put this unit into play from your hand at a green planet.

Given the current card pool I'd say SM is probably better, but time will tell if new stuff will change that perception.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

New card coming out in Mavros' pack that you can see here. In case the link doesn't work, it's a 4 cost 2/3/4 with the Soldier and Sacaellum traits that reads:
Reaction: After you win a battle at a non-first green planet, instead of triggering the planet's Battle ability, put this unit into play from your hand at a green planet.

Given the current card pool I'd say SM is probably better, but time will tell if new stuff will change that perception.

Wow, Sacaellum's Finest is an awesome card. I can see every AM warlord will include 3x copies in their deck, but obviously Worr will make best use out of this unit (as always). 

BeardSenpai

BeardSenpai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Wow, Sacaellum's Finest is an awesome card. I can see every AM warlord will include 3x copies in their deck, but obviously Worr will make best use out of this unit (as always). 

I think that is a bit cart before the horse.  It's fairly strong, but it's sacrificing a strong ability to use and it can be pretty dead in your hand the first turn or two, and it's not even that crazy.  It's just a 3/4.  I would rather have a Chimera or an EAT probably.  It's not bad mind you, but I suspect it will not make it into every deck.

Also, I really like Maksim, but he definitely could use some more tank cards.  There is a HUGE different between having a whole pile of 1-shield cards and a whole pile of 2-shield cards.  I also feel like his siggy is just a tiny bit weak, being probably worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/5 for 3 (i.e. if you shield it twice before it dies).  Let's cross our fingers and hope the elite support is real, because I would love to play this magnificent furry-hatted gentleman.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
I think Inspirational Fervor is a must for this deck. It may not be worth it to use it to transport two small units, but if it's two huge tanks then the event's 2 cost is suddenly a bargain. It can also help avoid Doom or having your big units being exhausted while traveling with your warlord to another planet.
  • ThatchyRumble likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

I think Inspirational Fervor is a must for this deck. It may not be worth it to use it to transport two small units, but if it's two huge tanks then the event's 2 cost is suddenly a bargain. It can also help avoid Doom or having your big units being exhausted while traveling with your warlord to another planet.

​Fevor is 1 cost, but yes those are the reasons I put it in my decklist above.

​Regarding Sacaellum's Finest, it only suits a warlord that prefers to command snipe over going to the first planet. As such, it's not great in Straken or Coteaz but good in Worr and Maksim. The main issue with putting it in Worr is a tendency towards an over reliance on greens, but it would still be a strong include. In Maksim, however, it has the potential to be a great card, especially combined with the signature support.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
I also think that an Ork alliance may be better than SM due to Ammo Depot. Ideally, you will be emptying your hand using cards as shields during combat, so your hand will need to be replenished and there's nothing better than Ammo Depot for this purpose.

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

EDIT: I meant to make this the deck thread but silly me forgot to actually finish the title. If a mod could edit that in that'll be great

After you hit Edit, select Use Full Editor. This will allow you to alter the thread name.

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

After you hit Edit, select Use Full Editor. This will allow you to alter the thread name.

​Thanks, just changed it :)

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Can i whine a bit?
I think Maksim is a deadborn warlord. This why:
His ability do the same thing as events can do PLUS tank orientation that cost a lot of R.
So in most situation you wont be able to place catachan and few tanks. And his sig.units pretty weak with 2/3 for 3.
In this case your catachan just a shield card. Take attach honor with 2 shields at any unit!

Every AM deck run supports. Most of them run ~10 support cards. And most of this support you wont discard like a shield.
Yes, with sig.support it much better and a bit stronger, but it is only 1/50 card.

For now ATK value much stronger than HP value. And Maksim's design is HP buff with a lot of restriction, like: if no supports in the hand your warlord just blank, if you discard a lot of suppprts as a shield you will not have them on the table. Do you realy want to discard IF? How many times you realy need 1-2 shields for winning the game?

For example Shadowsun. If she hasnt attach in the hand she is blank too, right. But when she has she PLAYS it, not discard.
You take Ion Rifle in the deck and warlord ability gives you discount and some surprise effect.
Maksim's ability dont give you discount and even surprise effect.

From other side. For example we will have a lot of tanks so we can build full tank deck.
So why i must pick Maksim? I will pick Worr (im not talking that tank worr will be better than simple swarm worr). And his tank deck will be more effective than same maksim deck. Becuase Russ cant be routed and get +25% damage boost. Troop transport much better with Worr. Worr himself have 2 ATK so he can better snipe economy.

My point is: all "tank love" that FFG will give to Maksim affect Worr as well. And Worr buff his units in better way: for small units it is ATK value for elite - immune to route (one of the powerful control in the game).

Dont get me wrong. Im not whining that new AM warlord must be bettet than Worr (is it realy possible?). But FFG gives us "tank/support" warlord that gives to his TANKS less profit than Worr can do :/
The only thing that will make Maksim works better is a cards which depend on the number of tank units. Because maksim will always have more tanks than Worr...

PS: btw im russian (this why my inglich is so bad :) ) and name "Grigory Maksim" awful! It is equal to "Bill John" or "Gomer Stev"
Not firstname and lastname. It is just firstname and firstname :)

Technogashi

Technogashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Well it IS Vostroya, not Russia.

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Fair enough! :)

NecRus888

NecRus888

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Who said Russia?

It doesn't matter ;)

idub04

idub04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Ricky Bobby
  • SlaaneshDevotee likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Without going into the specifics, how are we looking at building this?

I'm thinking 25-26 units, 3 Promotions, 3 Barrages, 4 signature cards makes 14-15 card slots spare.

To Arms and Bolster the Defences look like strong events, but I'm thinking at least 10 additional supports would be sensible, and maybe as high as 12. We can squeeze things further if we like, but I'm not sure thats sensible.

So, the breakdown for me, I think is:

3x Bolster the Defence

3x Inquisitorial Fortress

2x Catachan Outpost

3x Troop Transport

3x Imperial Bunker

1x Cathedral of Saint Camilla

...for an AM heavy deck, high density of discounters accomodating some Leman Russ patterns.

Jreilly89

Jreilly89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I think this guy will be good and fun, but I think he'll still be second banana to Worr. I think he's a little trick heavy and I think Worr will do everything he can, just better.

My breakdown is this:

1. Worr

2. Maksim

3. Straken

4. Coteaz

My reasoning is Worr is still top dog, and Maksim is a close second with decent cards, but not enough to jostle Worr.  Sraken at least has some damage and can put out some hurt. Coteaz is still too trick dependent/combo heavy to not be ruined by various events.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Cool, I would have said Worr is ahead of Coteaz by a margin, who in turn is just ahead of Straken. I've not worked out where Maksim sits yet, but I'm thinking its somewhere between Worr and Coteaz.

Essentially my core logic is this:

Main advantage is being able to use Supports as shields. 

The size of this advantage is dependent on how much better Supports are than attachments/events in strength, if we treat them as 1-shielders.

Right now, though AM has some excellent supports, there's a load of 2-shielders of high quality in AM, and a lot of decent 1-shielders too. Therefore right now, the advantage gained from replacing Events/Attachments with Supports is minimal.

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
With the abundance in command available to AM I may skip promotions. This would clear up much needed space for more events.

I run pretty light on attachments in general out of this faction but....is it finally time to seriously use dozer blades?
  • Jreilly89 likes this