Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grigory Maksim deck thread

Grigory Maksim

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

He can also use Standard Bearer and Flank 'Em which gives your deck more combat tricks.

No he cant use Standard Bearer. Becuase no ambush and w/o ambush this card is pretty useless.

Also Bolster the Defence is a great card for Maksim .

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

No he cant use Standard Bearer. Becuase no ambush and w/o ambush this card is pretty useless.

Also Bolster the Defence is a great card for Maksim .

Ok I stand corrected.  Bolster the Defense is a great card for Maksim.  In fact it's almost taylor made for him. 

MadMagician

MadMagician

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

With STC fragments a lot of those tanks become 3-4 cost which is a lot more reasonable.  He can also use Standard Bearer and Flank 'Em which gives your deck more combat tricks.

Standard Bearer wouldn't be good in an AM deck. Loses Ambush and his ability is nigh useless in the deploy phase.

Hayati

Hayati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

I played a few proxy games against this guy. He's a tough old goat!

The event card Keep Firing! can easily result in a Warlord kill if you have an elite tank in play.

My opponent and I both think he found an unintended raper combination though- Clearing The Path combined with Inquisitorial Fortress. This gives you a recurring rout option each turn!

Surely the intention of Clearing The Path was to get shielded support cards back, not repeatedly bring back a powerful support that sacrifices for its effect  :(

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Surely the intention of Clearing The Path was to get shielded support cards back, not repeatedly bring back a powerful support that sacrifices for its effect  :(

Oh I disagree, I bet the recurring fortress was indeed a goal. I don't think it's that bad.

Hayati

Hayati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Sucks for daemon elites!

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

My opponent and I both think he found an unintended raper combination though- Clearing The Path combined with Inquisitorial Fortress. This gives you a recurring rout option each turn!

Well, as long as your Warlord always wins fights and Clearing the Path isn't itself destroyed...

• Grimbo likes this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Sucks for daemon elites!

Pfft any deck that can, is currently running venomous fiends(as alliance anyway). That dude is a bastard. Any help I can get to stop that sh1t is welcome.

Hayati

Hayati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

On the Warlord winning battles, that is quite hard to stop. There can be five planets out there, most with scant units deployed, and it is unlikely I can guess where he is going each turn. And, he can always use the IF to help win a battle and then recur it back if I teleport a daemon after him.

On the support destruction side, I am running Chaos/Dark Eldar and am not aware of any options they have. I do not wish to run Orks as allies and feel that I should not be compelled to do so- all faction combinations should have options to meet any threat if the game is well designed.

Venomous Fiend also rocks in Dark Eldar, but loses mobile in Chaos!

I played my opponent three times with the same decks. In one of the games we were both scratching our heads as to what I could do from turn two- he had out 2x IF and the signature support. The tempo loss of one expensive daemon being routed per turn (for a single payment of two resources) seemed insurmountable to us.

I understand that there is only one copy of this card and it may not see the table at all, let alone early. The problem is, when it does come, it seems to (against elite daemons at least) reduce the game from traditional Conquest to some kind of insane power combo.

Inspecting the results database I see Archon's Terror is MVP many times. Imagine the power of a freely recurring copy!

The designers have been working hard to make elites viable after issues with Klaivex etc., I fear that this combination is going to threaten elites again  :(

Having said all that, I would be delighted to be proven wrong and to hear what an elite daemons deck with Dark Eldar allies can do about this problem?

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

On the support destruction side, I am running Chaos/Dark Eldar and am not aware of any options they have. I do not wish to run Orks as allies and feel that I should not be compelled to do so- all faction combinations should have options to meet any threat if the game is well designed.

Venomous Fiend also rocks in Dark Eldar, but loses mobile in Chaos!

I played my opponent three times with the same decks. In one of the games we were both scratching our heads as to what I could do from turn two- he had out 2x IF and the signature support. The tempo loss of one expensive daemon being routed per turn (for a single payment of two resources) seemed insurmountable to us.

I understand that there is only one copy of this card and it may not see the table at all, let alone early. The problem is, when it does come, it seems to (against elite daemons at least) reduce the game from traditional Conquest to some kind of insane power combo.

Inspecting the results database I see Archon's Terror is MVP many times. Imagine the power of a freely recurring copy!

The designers have been working hard to make elites viable after issues with Klaivex etc., I fear that this combination is going to threaten elites again  :(

Having said all that, I would be delighted to be proven wrong and to hear what an elite daemons deck with Dark Eldar allies can do about this problem?

I disagree with a few things here, so one by one:

Regarding the game needing to be designed better so all 9 factions have support destruction, I disagree. But even at that, all factions can destroy supports(with alliance), except Eldar/DE. They can only Subdual, but if they all had the same stuff, what a boring game this would be. Plus those two elf decks tend to have the best command/choke options. Giving them support destruction is a slap in the face.

It is not a design flaw, that you choose to remain on a DE/Chaos theme, and ignore Orks for...no reason :P

Regarding Maksims signature support..sure it's good, that's AM's thing(Good sig supports), but it costs 2, only 1 copy, and you have to have the warlord be at the winning battle, and have drawn IFs.  IF's is a key card, and a good one. For the longest time it was the ONLY answer to the Gleeful plague beast. But it is hardly a problem card.

Checks and balances.

Regarding Elite Daemon decks, I don't want to hear any griping. Those decks are powerful as hell and are running rampant right this second. Backlash is a card you know :P

The REAL problem right now, is what else is out there to stop these elites from wrecking everyone/

Final Answer, ally orks and play Squig Bombin', or don't play Orks and win 55%+ anyway versus Maksim. I don't mean to come down hard, I just think that Elite's are the bees knees, and that whole 3 ring alliance down there(orks, chaos, DE) are in a good place right now either with Chaos bringing the pain, or the other 2 bringing the fiend.

I'll take 1-2 IF's to the face over the fiend hitting my cappers 1-3+ times in one turn.(warlord train, mobile, teleportarium[s])

Hayati

Hayati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

It is not a design flaw, that you choose to remain on a DE/Chaos theme, and ignore Orks for...no reason :P

Here we will agree to disagree pal  :P

If I enjoy playing Chaos and Dark Eldar then that's what I enjoy. I have no interest in Orks. Seems a darn fine reason to me to play what I play.

But it seems I have to play Ork allies otherwise I get raped by this particular warlord? That sucks  <_<

I don't mind that some faction combinations are less optimal against others, however, this particular instance is way more extreme than "less optimal".

Backlash is a card I can use once to stop the raper combo. What about every other turn. I may have more copies, but maybe my opponent has 3x IF too.

"I'll take 1-2 IF's to the face over the fiend hitting my cappers 1-3+ times in one turn.(warlord train, mobile, teleportarium[s])"

The Venomous Fiend does not have mobile in Chaos decks.

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Here we will agree to disagree pal  :P

If I enjoy playing Chaos and Dark Eldar then that's what I enjoy. I have no interest in Orks. Seems a darn fine reason to me to play what I play.

But it seems I have to play Ork allies otherwise I get raped by this particular warlord? That sucks  <_<

I don't mind that some faction combinations are less optimal against others, however, this particular instance is way more extreme than "less optimal".

Backlash is a card I can use once to stop the raper combo. What about every other turn. I may have more copies, but maybe my opponent has 3x IF too.

"I'll take 1-2 IF's to the face over the fiend hitting my cappers 1-3+ times in one turn.(warlord train, mobile, teleportarium[s])"

The Venomous Fiend does not have mobile in Chaos decks.

I'm fully aware about the fiend and its mobile not being a chaos thing :P

Alright man, I'm not going to feel sorry for you because you purposely choose to not destroy supports.

On point, I'm looking forward to playing this Warlord. AM was my "thing", I just refuse to play Worr. I imagine it will take me a while to get an optimal Maksim build. Not sure he can supplant Straken on Macho factor, but tanks are cool as hell.

Wonder if it will be elite heavy(as Vostroyan Officer foreshadows), or only include the Leman Russ Conquerer as the finisher. These mid-range decks are my favorite.

• Hayati likes this

Hayati

Hayati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

My friend played a mid-range deck during our testing games, it was pretty nasty.

The Leman Russ Conquerer is terrifying after it has attacked- 6 ATK next swing, shields for days, and you never know if Keep Firing! is in hand. If your Warlord is there and takes damage, you may be forced to retreat on account of this event. Put a Searchlight on it and it can go hunting too!

I too like this tough old dog a lot (even though he's unfair against my daemons)  :P

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

I think Maksim will be a lot of fun to play.  He'd be even better if there's a support that reduces the cost of vehicles and 3-4 cost tanks available for him to use as mid range units.  

Blacklanner

Blacklanner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

If you're stuck on Chaos/De and need to break the loop, your best hope is win command hard to get ahead on cards and resources, then backlash the fortress to win a battle (prevent support trigger) and keep winning.  Punching Maksim in the face a lot is also a solution because he has to be there at the end of the battle to trigger the support.

• Hayati and SmoothCriminal15 like this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

So Mr. Furry Hat comes out soon(about 6-7 weeks), and we dont have too many cool tanks. I hope pack #2 has a good one. Would like to hit the ground running with him(even if a bit thematic).

Hope it's not all:

"Hey look Vostroya officer"

"Hey look Leman Russ Conquerer and Keep Firing"

RAWR!!!!

wrathofmine

wrathofmine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thoughts of the day.

He wants to play 3 STC : tanks are expensive and the duplicates are 2 shields

This warlord should be a priority target for opponent, once he is bloodied you have a deck low on shields

• Hayati and refbot like this

Technogashi

Technogashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
In Soviet Russia, deck make you!

http://www.conquestd...-tank-drive-you
  • Lemonbrick and Ywingscum like this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

So I'm finding that his 1 attack is a huge liability. If you're running an elite heavy build then you need to be able to command snipe effectively, but his 1 attack value is so prohibative in that regards against any deck using command cappers with more than 1 hp. Unlike Eldorath, Zarathur, Zogwort, Kugath and, to an extent, Shadowsun, their 1 attack values are balanced by their abilities, whereas Maksim's is an irrelevant ability when up against a unit like Worr's Shrine Guard or Kith's  Khymeramasters (+ Khymera), since in either case them having a single shield would result in taking 5-6 damage.

Obviously spreading out the AM 1 cost command units balances this out since they can swing first, but in an elite deck there's a limit in space if you're also considering the AM/SM 2 cost elite helpers.

Given the new 4 cost tank that'll be coming out in the next pack, as well as the 3 cost unit, I'm wondering if a mid range vehicle build would be more consistent

• palpster, Lemonbrick, Asklepios and 2 others like this

SmoothCriminal15

SmoothCriminal15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
I'm just waiting for a 2-4 cost tank to come out that can hit.
  • Asklepios likes this