Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tyrell: All in on the Arbor

- - - - - Joust Tyrell

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

AFrede

AFrede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Do you like to gamble? Do you like playing the greediest decks conceivable? Well dear sir/madame then this is the deck for you.

So Tyrell got this new card in the last chapter pack called “The Arbor” and it has been causing a little bit of a stir. Half the people think that the card is super broken and half seem to think its unplayable. Well the answer is both, if you set up the Arbor it is super broken. If you haven't gotten it into play by the end of turn 1 marshaling phase then its pretty unplayable.

So do you want to play a deck that is potentially the most broken degenerative play experience (except for every deck Lannister has) or potentially a turn 3 scoop? Then keep reading and see what going all in on the Arbor is all about.

Plots

Ok the first step to making any deck (according to people that are way better at this game than me) is to build your plot deck. We know we want to build a deck that gets the Arbor into play and abuses the economy advantage that it provides. Since we are playing the worlds greediest deck, we are assuming that we will have it in play when we build our plot deck and so we can choose some plots with less than ideal gold values that do some better stuff. However since we are playing the worlds greediest deck, our cost curve is amazingly high so we don't want to go too low on our plot economy or even with the Arbor we won't be able to play our stuff.

Defensive Plots – Playing the worlds greediest deck means you are going to be slow out of the gates, sacrificing your set up/turn 1 marshaling for long term economy. That means we need a few plots so that we don't get blown out by early military challenges. The options here are Calm over Westeros, Filthy Accusations, and A Game of Thrones. I would suggest running at least two of these, I myself tend towards Filthy and GoT. While Calm is more common in most decks, the other two plots are more flexible and powerful in their ideal situations so we can sacrifice the 1 economy for a slightly more powerful effect. Some people will inevitably see that GoT is not as strong in a Lanni heavy environment, but GoT will singlehandedly win the game against Stark Kill or Greyjoy Aggro. In a super heavy Lanni environment however Calm/Filthy is probably the better combo.

Economy Plots – But we have the Arbor why do we need Econ plots at all? As mentioned before the cost curve of the deck is very high so running no econ plots is generally going to choke our hand with big characters. Our options here are A Noble Cause, Calling the Banners, Taxation, Fallen from Favor and Trading with the Pentoshi. I would avoid Trading just on the principal that while it can be good in decks where you know you can put out more bombs than the opponent, giving them 3 extra gold neutralizes our own gold advantage in a way and often the 10 gold from Trading is overkill so I have found the others to be better in most situations. I also tend away from Noble Cause because initiative control is so important. I think 2 of the other three plots are fine, I tend to favor Calling and Taxation for maximum turn 1 greed putting out limiteds and better initiative, but Calling and Fallen is good as well. I know running 2 econ plots is a little bit of a hedge especially since the idea of the deck is to go all in on the Arbor, so if you really want to gamble then go with 1 econ plot only and add an extra tech plot to let your Arbor really do the work. (When you are testing a deck with a friend and thinking that maybe a different plot is better in the deck, after the turn is over, walk it through with them what would have happened if you had played the other plot in mind and that helps you to see what may have happened)

Draw/Closing/Tech Plots – So I grouped this last three plots together because they can vary wildly depending on your own local meta and your personal playstyle. There are a number of viable choices here, Building Orders as a panic switch to dig for the Arbor, Summons to get a key character, or Counting Coppers because 5 gold draw 3 is really good right? First Snow/Wildfire to keep the board down to just your big dudes where you should be at an advantage. Tourney for the King or Clash of Kings to close out the game. Confiscation to get rid of attachments or Wraiths in their Midst to gain some card advantage, Naval Superiority to leverage your economic advantage even further, or Winds of Winter to apply some pressure.

I have found that having a closer is necessary in this deck since it is slower you want to be able to end the game before timed rounds in tournaments, or you get into situations where you are slightly behind and need a large jump in one turn to end the game before they can. Tourney for the King has been working for me as it has a larger potential burst than Clash. In my last two spots right now I am running Naval Superiority which is an AMAZING opener if you set up the Arbor but can also wreak some havoc in the midgame, but Wildfire/First Snow is probably better here and will make the deck more consistent. Lastly Building Orders as a way to put the Arbor into play turn 1 if all else fails. These last slots are fairly flexible though and you can make arguments for a variety of plots.

Characters

Next we will build the the draw deck, and the one thing that will be a little unique is that we want to aim our curve in two ways, first we want a lot higher ratio of the expensive people since Arbor allows us that, and second we want to go very heavy in the 2 cost slot to maximize good Arbor set ups where we can get a few bodies into play as well. This means we will be low in the 3 and 4 slots. Does this mean we will potentially get First Snowed on turn 1, yup that's a thing that can happen, but if you set up an arbor and smell a first snow then you can drop a big economy plot (Fallen from Favor is amazing if you know you are going to get First Snowed) and usually get out a couple of people to either soak the military (if you can drop Queen of Thorns and one other character then you are usually fine) and you have initiative so you can push at them first and force them on the defensive. Your other option is to Filthy their military threat to let you set up a board. Worse case scenario you eat it that turn and they wipe you with Marched next turn and you have to set up for a Varys or let your bigger economy do some work for you which isn't always a loss for this deck.

With the Arbor Knight hitting that sweet spot of 2, we can go to Hedge Knight as a 3 of also to help us in this department and let us run Tourney for the King over Clash of Kings. One of each of Left and Right for funsies and to make certain parties cringe.

Queen of Thorns is going to be the most important character in the deck because once she gets rolling then the economic advantage just landslides. And then all the usual goodness of Randal, KoF, and the new Redwyne brothers. I would recommend including a Varys or two since this is a slower deck you will probably fall behind early and he can be a good way to reset the board.

Other Stuff

For our attachments we want Heartsbane and probably a Mare in Heat or two to go with our knights.

On to events. The staples of Tears and PTTS, combined with some Tyrell goodness like Growing Strong for Challenge Math and the higher cost but extremely powerful Olenna's Cunning to let us tutor for cards. In Tyrell I usually run 2 Support of the People to allow early access to both Highgarden and the Mander, but with Olenna's cunning you could cut the Support of the People for some Hand's Judgement.

Locations should be fairly standard, since we are running 3x The Arbor however, you can trim the limited's in other areas like cutting a Roseroad or Rosegarden, and of course as mentioned above the one two punch of Mander/Highgarden. Streets of the Sisters might not be a bad idea to try and push some power late game to get over the hump you need to close.

Agenda

Lastly lets touch on Agenda's, I think that primarily it will work out of Fealty or LotC, both have their upsides, Fealty can help get the Arbor into play with slightly less of a tempo hit past set up, while LotC will help you push your events like PTTS and Tears through while gaining you some more power which is what I would lean towards. You could also play it as banner of the Lion and ramp up the greed by adding Jaime, Gregor, and Tyrion in place of some of Tyrell's 5 costers.  

Playing from Behind

Since the majority of this article is based around the idea of having the Arbor really early in the game, you are probably wondering what happens when you don't draw it early. Well then the Queen of Thorns is even more important to start alleviating your hand choked with big guys, and you will probably have to set yourself up for a massive Tourney for the King turn to win. You could even consider running 1x Lady Sansa's Rose for this scenario since you have the ability to tutor for it, and even if they know you have it they can't block a KoF if you have a Mare in Heat on him.

In these cases Varys can also get you out of a jam but I am not going to sugarcoat it for you it is an uphill slog that isn't going to fall your way sometimes.

Link to the decklist on ThronesDB: All in on the Arbor

• scantrell24, stevehouston, mplain and 2 others like this

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Great writeup. I agree with most of your points, especially about surviving the early turns.

My version runs more attachments instead of events, like Milk to slow down my opponent's early, and 3x Wardens of the Reach (essential to survive First Snow).

AFrede

AFrede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Ya i wanted to try Wardens since I am running lots of Reach locations but then I would have to cut more 5's or 2's and I found the 2's helped the setups more which was the harder part and First Snow hasn't been as big of a problem as I thought it was, the deck generally has enough ways to play around it. 

I will have to give milk a try though I can see how that would really help early game which is the toughest part.

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

Do you like to gamble?

I was hoping for a Motorhead tribute there...

The only card I see
The only card I need is

The AA-AR-BOR
The AA-AR-BOR

(OK, Banter Behind the Throne are better at this!)

AFrede

AFrede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I was hoping for a Motorhead tribute there...

Haha, The Arbor of Spades?

aceprositter

aceprositter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I was in the group thinking the Aarbor would get minimal play.  But after reading your write up I'm anxious to get home and try to make a deck like you described.

I definitely see the appeal of getting it out during setup, could make for a quick game!

aceprositter

aceprositter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Have you play tested your concept much?

I only ask because the whole concept is to take advantage of the Aarbor in terms of econ advantage?  Typically meaning you can play more cards per turn than your opponent.  Adding in the Queen of Thorns and I see a high possibility that you could be top decking.  Do you find yourself having enough card draw?  Other than the Mander, Olenna, and Counting Coppers (if you include in plot deck) I don't see any other draw.  Do you find this enough to keep your hand stocked?

AronKazay

AronKazay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I have been running this list:

Total Cards: (60)

Faction: 
 Tyrell

Agenda: (1)
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Tourney for the King (The King's Peace)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
2x Jousting Contest (Core Set)
1x Political Disaster (The Road to Winterfell)
1x The First Snow of Winter (No Middle Ground)

Character: (31)
3x Arbor Knight (Taking the Black)
3x Courtesan of the Rose (Core Set)
3x Garden Caretaker (Core Set)
2x Hedge Knight (The King's Peace)
1x Left (Core Set)
3x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
2x Paxter Redwyne (Core Set)
3x Randyll Tarly (Core Set)
1x Right (Core Set)
2x Ser Hobber Redwyne (The King's Peace)
2x Ser Horas Redwyne (No Middle Ground)
3x The Knight of Flowers (Core Set)
3x The Queen of Thorns (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
2x Heartsbane (Core Set)
2x Mare in Heat (The King's Peace)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Event: (9)
2x Growing Strong (Core Set)
2x Lady Sansa’s Rose (The Road to Winterfell)
1x Olenna’s Cunning (Core Set)
1x Support of the People (Taking the Black)
1x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)

2x Highgarden (Core Set)
2x Pleasure Barge (Taking the Black)
3x Rose Garden (Core Set)
3x The Arbor (No Middle Ground)
2x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
2x The Mander (Core Set)

I like to play it defensively, trying to block their challenges, maintain a small board with big characters, bait out Wildfire, then go for the win with Tourney for the King. First Snow is priceless against aggressive decks. Much has been said about Highgarden - the sinergy with Jousting Contest, Mare in Heat and Arbor Knights is just way too good. The Barges and The Mander are plenty for draw, although I've been thinking about fitting in a Counting Coppers. If there is a deck that can comfortably run it, then this is it. 

AFrede

AFrede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Have you play tested your concept much?

I only ask because the whole concept is to take advantage of the Aarbor in terms of econ advantage?  Typically meaning you can play more cards per turn than your opponent.  Adding in the Queen of Thorns and I see a high possibility that you could be top decking.  Do you find yourself having enough card draw?  Other than the Mander, Olenna, and Counting Coppers (if you include in plot deck) I don't see any other draw.  Do you find this enough to keep your hand stocked?

Generally between Building Orders and Olenna's you can get the Mander out fairly reliably and it is a really effective draw engine that keeps your hand full. If you can't get the arbor then yes you can run into top decking problems but the deck is also fairly strong on intrigue so you won't be losing your cards very often. In the games I have played so far hand size hasn't been a problem, the only problem was not getting Arbor early. 

With WoTN if Frozen Solid becomes very prevalent then it might be an issue of your Mander getting shut down so Pleasure Barges could be an option to include as well.

stevehouston

stevehouston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Nice! Very cool write up. I decided to go all-in on The Arbor as well, but with a Kraken banner to make use of the new Iron Mines. And Stealth/unopposed is sort of another way to power rush. And Asha is a lady! So you can do the Tyrell knights thing still. Haven't tested yet but excited to: https://thronesdb.co...-the-kraken-1.0

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

I think Power Rush does not want the Arbor. With rush, you want to win fast, turn 2-3 usually. The Arbor is for a slower game that capitalizes on resource advantage generated by it. Perhaps mixed with Baratheon or Martell to create Control.

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

Nice! Very cool write up. I decided to go all-in on The Arbor as well, but with a Kraken banner to make use of the new Iron Mines. And Stealth/unopposed is sort of another way to power rush. And Asha is a lady! So you can do the Tyrell knights thing still. Haven't tested yet but excited to: https://thronesdb.co...-the-kraken-1.0

I am also looking at a Kraken banner for Fishwhiskers - who works very nicely with Highgarden. Knight of Flowers is great with Raiding Longship, and the Iron Mines when that pack arrives will be very nice to help get around weakness to Tears.
  • LoneElfRanger likes this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

I think Arbor + Queen of Thorns with only 31 characters in your deck is overkill. I would think no less than 35 characters would be the way to go if that is what you are wanting to do.

Also, Pleasure Barge is absolutely worth 3x. I can't stress that enough.

• monks likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joust, Tyrell