Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to beat Zarathur?

Zarathur Chaos

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

deleted

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Hehe, that depends on the setup of course. And a hunter-Baharroth with some Shrouded Kamikaze-Harlequins can bloody Zarathur quickly :)

Not quite - with the Wildrider combo (or Jetbike combo) you won't have to move in during mobile :)

The Starcannon-tricked out Vyper moves together with the Squadron (or the Wraithguard/Shrouded Harlequin on Jetbike) at action speed, dodging both the Plague Beast, the Mark of Chaos-carrying runt which dies to the Plague Beast and sets off 2x damage to all your units, and the Staff of Chaos carrying unit(s) that sets off 2/3 damage to one of your units etc.

I would never let my mark of chaos unit die to a plaguebeast if you had that combo off-world - I usually put it on a flamer for the spot-kill. I also typical save firestorms to eat through their nullifies during a crucial fight.

FightingWalloon

FightingWalloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts
None of those units are unique to Baharroth. I thought the argument was that Baha is uniquely effective against Zara. His thing is Mobile.

Wildriders and Vypers are cool. There are lots of good effects that bring units into a fight after all the pre-combat explosions. Those can be helpful against Zara.
  • sammann11 and Jreilly89 like this

Skyknight

Skyknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

None of those units are unique to Baharroth. I thought the argument was that Baha is uniquely effective against Zara. His thing is Mobile.

This is certainly true, but regardless of which warlord you choose the warlord itself will seldom be the one doing the fighting.

My point is that Zarathur can be tough to beat in a straight up fight, because standing your ground usually means a bloodied warlord, but here Baharroth, the flying ferret, has some advantages that sometimes get overlooked I think:

1. He's hard to catch = hard to hunt/bloody (obviously)

2. His mobility allow you to threaten the first planet every turn (basically you force your opponent to overcommit there if he/she want to take it - if that happens you simply move to planet two prior to the fight and build momentum there + use a Doom next turn..) This is certainly not insignificant against Zarathur :)

3. Being Eldar he plays a strong command game regardless of ally choice and can opt for the choke approach against Zarathur; when command sniping he can first block opponents cappers then usually proceed to take his pick between several battle abilities to go for via mobile = versatility

4. He can be a fearsome warlord hunter alongside a unit from his signature squad + Event/Support. Shuriken Catapult is potentially an insane card for this tactic too.

Maybe I'm just a mediocre player or maybe it's because I play Elite Zarathur with DE allies instead of Ork, but I find such a Baharroth setup (Wildriders, Jetbikes, Wraithguards, Drone Defence, Tau'va and Gift of Ishas etc.) particularly tough to play against as the High Sorcerer.

Which is annoying :)

• FightingWalloon and Jreilly89 like this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Personally I have found my Baha deck to be terrible against Zara. It is the reason I stopped playing it in my prior Black Crusade league and the reason I won't play it in this one, given how popular Zara is in that league. So few units are over 2 HP, until you get into the 4 and 5 cost slots or you run something special like Black Guardians. Mark of Chaos, Plaguebeast and Warpstorm can be an easy wipe of my units. Ork Kannon shreds command units and takes hawks down no problem. Same with firestorm.
I don't play Nullify, which is one major problem here and I understand that, so other decks may fare better. But I have found against experienced Zara players, they can just push planet 1, get a good command, and pressure me to make suboptimal plays. Hunt is always on my mind, but Zara is difficult to hunt when he is surrounded by opportunities to direct damage and his sig event keeps Baha honest with attacking himself.
  • sammann11, jalf, FightingWalloon and 1 other like this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Play Ku'Gath

Hahahah.

Yeah, play Ku'gath, use your signature unit as much as possible, and perhaps throw in some Ork Kannon. Gleeful Plaguebeasts, Warpstorms and Nurgling Bombs while you're at it. That'll go well*.

*sarcasm

• Jreilly89 likes this

FightingWalloon

FightingWalloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts

Hahahah.

Yeah, play Ku'gath, use your signature unit as much as possible, and perhaps throw in some Ork Kannon. Gleeful Plaguebeasts, Warpstorms and Nurgling Bombs while you're at it. That'll go well*.

*sarcasm

Yes. Ba'ar Zul is great, too. Self-damaging units (Cleavers, Snakebite Thugs) are great against Zarathur.

• Jreilly89 likes this

Blacklanner

Blacklanner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Cato probably has it best. Any sm is ok because of the preference for midrange resilient units. I played Mavros vs Zara last night in black crusade. Unstoppable was very helpful vs plague beast especially once I was able to bloody Zara with signature event and it was only 1 damage.
  • Jreilly89 likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I'm thinking that Command phase damage sources would be a pain for a Mavros player. Also, Zarathur's text essentially adds to the downside of Mavros' warlord ability.

alanbdg

alanbdg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hahahah.

*sarcasm

I'm about 15-2 against Zara (for about year I was undefeated, both defeats was on Siege Of Terra). Archon's terror>orc alliance.

example

* no sarcasm

MikeMcSomething

MikeMcSomething

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Broadly speaking, be aware of opportunities to Promote your combat units, prevent him from earning Resources at any opportunity, and hit him in the face as often as possible. Zara (really Chaos in general, they all spend quite a bit of R from their hand)  needs R to be able to pay for his depot, the warpstorms, his cannons, his firestorms, his big demons, and still have a command presence, on top of having 6 HP. Usually breaking any link in that chain gives you the opportunity to keep him behind, and if you can stick 2-3 damage early he has to be very careful about showing up to battles to use his own ability, especially if he plans on using Warpstorm. He can have all the cards he wants, since what he wants to do is usually too expensive to allow him to get away with very much on 4-5R, so from there if he can't pull off a really big value Warpstorm/AE swing with a berzerker/Plaguebeast that hits dozens of units he will typically stay behind. 

• Jreilly89 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zarathur, Chaos