Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Illuminor Szeras Deck Thread

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Technogashi

Technogashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I made a thing:

Illuminor Szeras

Augmented Warriors x4
Vivisection x2
Dissection Chamber x1
Eldritch Lance x1

Canoptek Scarab Swarm x3
Void Pirate x3
Immortal Loyalist x3
Lychguard Sentinel x3
Rumbling Tomb Stalker x3
Harbinger of Eternity x2
Dread Monolith x1

Mechanical Enhancement x3
Recycle x2
Reanimation Protocols x2
Backlash x2

Royal Phylactery x3
Hyperphase Sword x3
Mind Shackle Scarab x2
Promotion x2

STC Fragment x3
Master Program x1
Shroud Cruiser x1
  • SmoothCriminal15 likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

So I took this to a store champ yesterday. Went 3-2 with my losses being to Morn and Kugath. Against Morn, I mulliganed into a hand with the only choice being to play an elite, which is somewhat expected in this deck, but was unfortunate given that after I played said elite (Tomb Stalker) to planet one Morn played a Possessed opposite it, as well as guessing my committment. Given she then abused Plaanum so that I'd always have it opposite my warlord with no real damage output on my end I ended up losing that game fast. Against Kugath, I had the same issue with a first turn Possessed only with a Corrupted Teleportarium instead. I deliberately committed in a way to force it off blue planets, but killing the damn thing was a constant pain especially when Satherial + a Heldrake came out. The game went to the final planet and was very close but a combination of not seeing any healing effects for 4 rounds as well as not seeing an STC really put the pressure on, given he had a STC on the first round.

Key points:
- Vivisection is monstrous when played well. Against Vezuel in one battle I went into a battle with 3 resources, used Vivisection 3 times (via Harbinger) and ended up with 7 resources, especially after he used 2 TSC's against me. That was after an Extermination took out most of his army, so to then take AoE(3) on whatever he played afterwards was the icing on the cake
- Dissection Chamber helps hugely. Sure it means that your warlord's units come in with 1 hp but I think it's needed to put the pressure on them, whilst also stacking damage to heal off. Works wonders with the Hunting Acanthrites

- Drudgery was a surprisingly useful card given the lack of targets. The Freebooter ended up being the main use for it, which helped the economic side. The logic was that since I want to focus on events + units due to the necessity of Reanimation Protocols (and as such the Harbinger), I want to take as many events as possible, so I tested out Drudgery. The Wraithblade was a decent target too especially if it swings twice that gets sacced with Master Program but I never got the chance to pull it off so I might take it out, but I'm unsure on the replacement

- Particle Whip acts as a desperate "I will not mill myself" card, that doubles up as a half decent form of damage. It also helps guarantee that there's a few more Monolith targets

- Hardly ever managed to use Master Program, but when I did the Hunting Acranthrites were generally the best target

Total Cards: (51)

Warlord: 1x Illuminor Szeras (Searching for Truth)

Army Unit: (25) 4x Augmented Warriors (Searching for Truth)

2x Canoptek Spyder (Legions of Death)

3x Dread Monolith (Legions of Death)

3x Freebooter Kaptain (Legions of Death)

2x Furious Wraithblade (Jungles of Nectavus)

3x Harbinger of Eternity (Legions of Death)

2x Hunting Acanthrites (Unforgiven)

2x Immortal Legion (Legions of Death)

2x Lychguard Sentinel (Legions of Death)

2x Rumbling Tomb Stalker (Slash and Burn)

Attachment: (6)

1x Eldritch Lance (Searching for Truth)

2x Resurrection Orb (Legions of Death)

3x Royal Phylactery (Legions of Death)

Event: (13)

2x Vivisection (Searching for Truth)

2x Drudgery (Legions of Death)

1x Extermination (Legions of Death)

2x Mechanical Enhancement (Legions of Death)

3x Reanimation Protocol (Legions of Death)

3x Recycle (Legions of Death)

Support: (7)

1x Dissection Chamber (Searching for Truth)

2x Master Program (Legions of Death)

1x Particle Whip (Legions of Death)

3x STC Fragment (Legions of Death)

• Lemonbrick likes this

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
Nice one! I like the Harbinger-Vivisection play. Would you consider running Defensive Protocols, seeing as everyone seems to be running Possesseds these days?

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

After those games, yes I'd consider it, but I'm deciding on what I'd take out. Maybe a recycle? Also, the warlord is kinda in that Urien stage at the moment: decent ability but in desperate need of another card to push it up. I'd love to be able to take out the Master Programs, Wraithblades and a copy of Drudgery in order to fit in a more efficient healing option + Backlash but as it is there's really no choice but to keep those in for the sake of hitting some form of healing.

I think Necrons could really do with a support that gives all Drones +1 command or even a support that can be exhausted to heal something (even with a bunch of conditions). Either would help out this warlord a lot

SmoothCriminal15

SmoothCriminal15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Here is my Illuminor Elite deck. I've built it because I don't think that Szeras is quite there when it comes to a more standard deck.
The idea is to put out massive economy engines with Res Orb and Monolith, supplimented by elites with 2 and 3 Command Hammers and Warlord commits to get you anything you're missing.
Monolith has 21 targets and Res Orb has 12, most of which are 4+ cost, and Recycle, Canoptek Spyder, and Hyperphase Sword can all stack the discard for Res Orb Triggers.

Anyways, here's the list:

4 Augmented Warriors
3 Canoptek Spyker
3 Immortal Legion
2 Praetorian Ancients
3 Dread Monolith
3 Harbinger of Eternity
3 Lychguard Sentinel
3 Rumbling Tomb Stalker

1 Eldritch Lance
3 Resurrection Orb
3 Royal Phylactory
2 Hyperphase Sword
2 Mindshackle Scarab

2 Vivisection
2 Backlash
2 Fall Back!
3 Recycle
3 Reanimation Protocol
1 Extermination

1 Dissection Chamber
2 STC Fragment
2 Timeworn Stasis-Crypt
2 Shroud Cruiser

Mindshackle Scarabs are my last 2 slots. I figure they'll work well as I don't need my Enslavement Dial for anything of my own. My main fear of the deck is how well it handles other elite decks. Will I be able to swarm over them with my alternate economy or will I be laid to waste by their massive hitting power?

SmoothCriminal15

SmoothCriminal15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Part of me thinks that out could run better out of Anrakyr due to 1st Turn Monolith potential and his advantage in discard manipulation, but I think that I want it to work in Szeras.

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Looks like we're running the same mentality in our decks Smooth. I personally find the Hyperphase Sword to rarely be worth it and struggle to see where I'd make the resources for the Scrab given the cost of everything else, but I understand that the Sword at least partially helps the Orbs. I'm still not sold on the Timeworn Statis Crypt, but I suppose Szeras is, ironically, so desperate for cash most of the time that there's little other choice.

Regarding your last point, I played Anrakyr immediately after playing Szeras and honestly it felt so much nicer to play. The combo pieces, which were largely the same, just worked a lot more easily.

• Lemonbrick likes this

SmoothCriminal15

SmoothCriminal15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Looks like we're running the same mentality in our decks Smooth. I personally find the Hyperphase Sword to rarely be worth it and struggle to see where I'd make the resources for the Scrab given the cost of everything else, but I understand that the Sword at least partially helps the Orbs. I'm still not sold on the Timeworn Statis Crypt, but I suppose Szeras is, ironically, so desperate for cash most of the time that there's little other choice.

Regarding your last point, I played Anrakyr immediately after playing Szeras and honestly it felt so much nicer to play. The combo pieces, which were largely the same, just worked a lot more easily.

I'm not sold on Hyperphase Sword and Mindshackle yet either. I have a feeling that I'll reach the same conclusion, but I think they deserve testing, especially Hyperphase as I'm a big fan of Armorbane (Starcannon OP). The armorbane and extra attack will make elite handling much easier and the deck could use some punch. But is it worth 2 resources? Will Spyders and Recycles be enough to get the efficiency that I want it of Res Orb. These are a couple questions I need answered before I slot in a Mechanical Enhancements as my anti-Possessed tech.

As for Stasis-Crypt, I LOVE 3 STC and 1 Fortress of Madness in my Kugath elites. When you get them both out, the 3 resource reduction is amazing, and it just makes the deck more consistent with 4 reducers, even if 1 is inferior. I'm hoping that the same success will translate to this.

And yeah. Anrakyr is the ultimate combo assembler. Would you run Tomb Stalker in him?

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Lately I was thinking about an Illuminor Vehicle Deck with

- Monolit

- Doom Scythe

- Valkyrie

- Steel Legion Chimera

- Enginseer Mechanic

accompanied by Necron Elites and Drones

xRAVEx

xRAVEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

So I've tried Zseras today and got to interesting conclusions:

1) Reanimating warrior is crap. 2/2 body doesn't create any threat and if opponent's warlord can attack it on the adjacent planet, it'd be pure waste of 3R. 

I think I need to give it 2nd chance, now with some attach (Gauss Flayer most probably), but I doubt they'll perform good.

2) Decaying Warrior Squad is on the contrary nuts! You always have the way of spending money without waiting for Deploy phase. 

Initially I thought of a deck with Rumblings, hyperphase swords and Standard Bearers, but decided, that it's too combo-oriented and 3ATK even with armorbane isn't worth using SB.

So now I'm thinking how to add Master programm and Resurrection Orb in the deck.

EdelRitter

EdelRitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried building Szeras around high HP units, mostly Vehicles. So far only tested with Vezuel (ally: Tau) and got pretty good results towards the end of the game.
I tried Reanimating Warriors and yes, it is crap. Even with Gaus Flayer attached, he was almost immediately killed off by Vezuel's Hunters (2HP is nothing if you have Dissection Chamber out). 
Here's the deck:

Total Cards: 51

Warlord: 
1x Illuminor Szeras (Searching for Truth) 

Army Unit: 31
3x Augmented Warriors (Searching for Truth)
2x Doom Scythe Invader (Legions of Death)
2x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)
2x Harbinger of Eternity (Legions of Death)
2x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
2x Rumbling Tomb Stalker (Slash and Burn)
3x Soaring Falcon (Core Set)
3x Steel Legion Chimera (Zogwort's Curse)
2x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Wraithguard Revenant (Decree of Ruin)

Attachment: (5)
2x Royal Phylactery (Legions of Death)

Event: (10)
1x Backlash (Legions of Death)
1x Fall Back (Core Set)
2x Reanimation Protocol (Legions of Death)
2x Recycle (Legions of Death)

Support: (5)
2x Master Program (Legions of Death)
2x STC Fragment (Legions of Death)

I'm considering a few other options with Szeras: Brutal, mono-Necrons, and Dark Eldar allies. For Dark Eldars, I'm thinking of Supplicant of Pain to work together with the deck's Elites and Dissection Chamber.

bolomolo

bolomolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Anyone got good results with this warlord? I started the drone route, but couldn't make it competitive. Can't find anything in the cardpool that would make this guy even close to Anhrakyr or Nahumekh. Is Szeras the new barstool?

EdelRitter

EdelRitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I revised the list again after some games against Vezuel, Maksim, Swarmlord, Old One Eye, and Subject Omega. Won against all aforementioned Warlords except Subject Omega (my friend and I built him around some cheap units). The list are as below:

Warlord: Illuminor Szeras

Army Unit (26): 
2x Earth Caste Technician (Core Set)
2x Void Pirate (Core Set)
2x Skrap Nabba (What Lurks Below)
2x Harbinger of Eternity (Legions of Death)
2x Dread Monolith (Legions of Death)
2x Immortal Loyalist (Jungles of Nectavus)
3x Rumbling Tomb Stalker (Slash and Burn)
4x Augmented Warriors (Searching for Truth)
2x Herald of the Tau’va (Searching for Truth)

Attachment (6): 

Event (11): 
1x Fall Back! (Core Set)
2x Reanimation Protocol (Legions of Death)
2x Recycle (Legions of Death)
2x Backlash (Legions of Death)

Support (6): 
1x Timeworn Stasis-Crypt (Legions of Death)
1x Particle Whip (Legions of Death)
2x STC Fragment (Legions of Death)
1x Shroud Cruiser (Jungles of Nectavus)

Drones are good, but their lack of command icons really disrupts your command game. In the above list, I try to get as much Resources as I can.
Augmented Warriors work best with Royal Phylactery, healing it fully before the battle starts. 

EdelRitter

EdelRitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Oops, my mistake. There should be 27 Army Units, not 26.

SrgntKurgan

SrgntKurgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

So in the description of this warlord, it states on FFG site:

As the game goes on, however, you’ll quickly find that Illuminor Szeras’s ability translates into a significant economic advantage, especially with cards like Reanimating Warriors (Legions of Death, 20) and Reanimation Protocol (Legions of Death, 29).

All I have to say is:

Lol.

Without good support units from other factions, it's kinda tough to get resources with this guy. The resource game seems to be depending on the healing of other units and the problem I'm running into is the necron elites do have a decent health, but their attack in general is pretty weak. 

Skrap Nabba seems like a decent option, and maybe Earth Caste Technicians to fetch some attachments like Phylactery armor thingie, and maybe get some more 1 for 1's or 2 for 2's from the AM deck might not be a bad idea to be able to at least block some of the opponent's command game. Void Pirate/rogue traders are also an option, but he does need some heavy hitters. Then, there's also tricks. I've found out so far that having Harbinger is super-helpful- I milled through all of my events in my discard pile to try to keep up with my opponent. Vivisection is great, potentially you can use it 4 times if you have Harbinger, as well as other events like Backlash, etc. But I've found out that having enough resources to be able to play these events is the biggest problem, and Vivisection is not as good early game as it is during late game.

• bolomolo likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

I kinda gave up on this warlord when I realised that he doesn't gain resources from healing himself. Given his 8hp and initial 6 resources that just feels like a nail in the coffin to me

SrgntKurgan

SrgntKurgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
I agree, and to make him competitive with stronger factions, he needs other factions to support him, which totally blanks his ability as he doesn't gain anything if you heal a different faction unit.

Maybe a good strategy with him will be to include 3x Mind Shackle Scarab to steal your opponent's toughest units. But his command game needs to be solid to be able to compete.

I like Tau for their earth caste technician to fetch attachments and the trailblazer is awesome 2 for 2. The AM have the shrine guards or whatever their name is 1 for 1's and they get stronger at a green planet, they they have decent 2 for 2's, ad what I like about them is the combat trick Elysian assault team. But if you can generate enough resource game, I think trying out 3x mind shackle scarab is worth it. I had a game recently where the opponent had attachments on his unit and was swinging for 7-8 damage. To steal that would be sweet, plus if he dies, that's a bonus for me because I don't have to deal with him next time.

Throwing in 1 extermination just for the backup might not be a bad idea either

FightingWalloon

FightingWalloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts
Szeras is also a puzzle because he is a 1/8. It puts him (it?) in the same class as Maksim and Shadowsun. He is a risk to go alone anywhere on the board.

Like Shadowsun, it is easier to figure out where to send him once his sig attachment shows up.

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I'm trying to get my head around him.

I had some fun games with him .

I used this build, which is still hard to cut and not even include other stuff like the aforementioned Elite Groupies

Illuminor Szeras

Army (25)
1x Canoptek Scarab Swarm (Legions of Death)
4x Augmented Warriors (Searching for Truth)
2x Decaying Warrior Squad (Legions of Death)
2x Immortal Loyalist (Jungles of Nectavus)
2x Reanimating Warriors (Legions of Death)
3x Harbinger of Eternity (Legions of Death)
3x Lychguard Sentinel (Legions of Death)
3x Rumbling Tomb Stalker (Slash and Burn)
3x Dread Monolith (Legions of Death)

We are running Elite heavy , since we want units that can keep some Dmg for us to heal off.

Key - Units are Harbinger, Lychguard and Monolith. Really would like to throw in TechMarine Aspirants here.

Attachment (8)
1x Hyperphase Sword (Legions of Death)
3x Resurrection Orb (Legions of Death)

We neeeed Phylactery and Orb. One for the money the other for "combat tricks".

Get your Elite in a fight, take some damage , then retreat. Put Phylactery on it and get the resources flowing in.

I put 1 more of each Phyl and Orb , and got rid of the ECT, since they provide shields.

Hyperphase Sword is in here to give each unit a little punch. Also combos with Orb as we can discard units.

Event (14)
3x Reanimation Protocol (Legions of Death)
3x Recycle (Legions of Death)
3x Defensive Protocols
1x Extermination (Legions of Death)

Def. Protocols is a winner here. It lets you survive and win almost any battle. Also the opponent has a hard time to decide if to attack sever units to spread the dmg,

or put it all on a big dude to try to get him down. In the end, you can either heal all your dudes with your Sig Event, or heal one big dude with Event and / or Master Program.

Recycle is very much needed to provide us with the cards we need, and also fill up the discard pile. Put Events first, if you can't get a unit back with Orb immediately.

Extermination is just in here to provide some backup plan, and to have something to spend res on.

Support (8)
1x Eternity Gate (Legions of Death)
3x STC Fragment (Legions of Death)
1x Master Program (Legions of Death)
2x Shroud Cruiser (Jungles of Nectavus)

Shroud Cruiser helps as move our big train around in fear of doom.

Also it allows our Elites to win command and then come to the fight.

I really like Master Program, but had to cut it first since we want to see it later in the game only.

It combos with Orb , or lets you put Decaying Warrior Squad in your discard.

Eternity Gate is also great for Orb - Setup. Would like a second copy.

There are lots of moving pieces and the puzzle is to put it all together.

It is certainly a very fun and new way of playing. I like it a lot.

Edit: I really like the idea of adding one offs of some Elite Groupies that grant Mobile, Flying, Ready. Having Drudgery on top of it.

• Ultramarine likes this

h00jraq

h00jraq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I know that this topic is a bit old but have you checked crads released by team Apoka? It looks like they would be great for Szeras. I know that game has died but on octgn and in my city people are still playing it and have some fun. Looks at cards below:

http://site-425846.m....jpg?1480087314

http://site-425846.m...ing-Scarabs.jpg

For me their should fit perfect into Szeras deck. Any ideas?

BTW guys, what was the most OP deck at time when last pack was released?

• Koldro likes this