Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Treachery vs Winterfell

- - - - - Stark Winterfell Lannister Treachery

Best Answer istaril , 17 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

They can. Remember, an interrupt resolves before its triggering condition does (That's why a card like Viserys (Core) can trigger - because his interrupt happens before he's actually killed). That means that Winterfell is triggered but before it resolves, it is interrupted by Treachery. Treachery cancels it, so it never resolves.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Zilvake

Zilvake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Hello all! I've had the question come up in my meta a few times and I couldn't really decide on an answer for it. If a Stark player triggers Winterfell at the start of a challenge can a Lanni/Banner of the Lion player trigger Treachery to cancel it? I've been assuming no but just wanted to make sure. (I would post the cards but I'm at work and am unable to copy/paste the abilities at the moment.)

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts
✓  Best Answer

They can. Remember, an interrupt resolves before its triggering condition does (That's why a card like Viserys (Core) can trigger - because his interrupt happens before he's actually killed). That means that Winterfell is triggered but before it resolves, it is interrupted by Treachery. Treachery cancels it, so it never resolves.

LoneElfRanger

LoneElfRanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Treachery cancels it, so it never resolves.

Shouldn't that be "Treachery cancels it, so it resolves with no effect."?

ktom

ktom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1463 posts

Shouldn't that be "Treachery cancels it, so it resolves with no effect."?

If you want to get really technical, the ability resolves, but the effect is unsuccessful in its entirety because it was canceled.

In case it wasn't clear from istaril's response, because the Interrupt ability is triggered before Winterfell's effect resolves, the prohibition that would otherwise stop the Lanni player from triggering card abilities during the challenge isn't active yet. If Treachery were a Reaction (and, of course, cancels cannot be reactions, but bear with me...), it couldn't be triggered because reactions come after the resolution of the effect, by which time, Winterfell's "cannot trigger card abilities" would be active.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stark, Winterfell, Lannister, Treachery