Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arkham Horror LCG

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

A solo card game means I can get my card game fix without using my iPad to play something like Hearthstone(don't judge me)

I tried Hearthstone for a while but it felt like too much of a chore doing the dailies (which were not generous at all either) so I eventually dropped it.  I played Solforge as well which was much more generous and easier to fulfill the daily quests, but a while back they released a whole new client and screwed everything up including getting greedier with the free cards.

Now I've switched to Clash Royale as my iPad competitive game.  Not all that LCG-like (you basically pick an 8 card "deck" out of 50 or so total cards that you have to unlock as you rise in the ranking) but the game is good, it doesn't take long, and they more or less nailed the competition aspect.  I'm a free player and recently made it into Arena 8, the highest you can go short of the Legendary Arena which seems to be reserved for people that spend lots of money to get the super-rare Legendary cards and level them up.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I enjoyed Hearthstone for a while but I refuse to pay for a digital only card game product again so cannot really keep up or competitive and it does get a bit dry after a while. 

SolForge was the biggest waste of money ever. I regret helping fund it. 

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
Have either of you tried Elder Scrolls Legends yet? It's not bad.

Sorry to derail.
  • Cimadon likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Never heard of it

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
I'll put a post up in general discussion.

JoeFri85

JoeFri85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

They have already said that new LCGs will replace old ones.
Conquest replaces invasion
Got2.0 replaces got 1.0
L5R replaces Cthulhu
Arkham Horror replaces...

But then again, Lotr appeals to a much different crowd than the rest of the LCGs, so there is still hope.

Arkham replaces cthulhu, L5R is still a long way away.

L5R replaces Conquest :P

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

yeah

Invasion -> Conquest -> L5R

AGOT 1.0 -> AGOT 2.0

Netrunner ongoing

LOTR ongoing

Star Wars ongoing

CoC -> AH

I highly doubt they've replace Netrunner anytime soon given it's popularity.  Star Wars still has plenty of news about future releases and it's probably FFG's most popular license so we have no reason to think it will be replaced right now.  We have plenty of evidence to support that LOTR is still very popular and it's received lots of news about future products.  So by that reasoning it looks like FFG wants to park on around 6 LCGs considering that is where we've been for a while now.  I mean there is always a chance we'll be surprised with a cancellation.  Before some key pieces of information leaked no one really believed that Conquest would be cancelled after only 3 cycles and reasonably successful sales.  So it's certainly not impossible.

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
I could see them rebooting Star Wars eventually.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I only played a demo of Star Wars so I have no idea what the state of that game is right now.  Is the meta feeling stale and in need of a reboot?

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

I only played a demo of Star Wars so I have no idea what the state of that game is right now.  Is the meta feeling stale and in need of a reboot?

It needs to feel like an actual Star Wars game beyond the card art.  Calling it Bluffy Bluff Gotta Beat the Clock Panic probably wouldn't have sold well in the States.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Nah it is doing well. Some are just turned off by the deck building it uses. Personally I love that about it. Less but more important decisions. 

Gauldoth2

Gauldoth2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

What I would like to know is the content of the mythos packs. In every LCG we are given 3 copy of each cards. What will happen here? We get 2 copy of the cards and one improved version?

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

What I would like to know is the content of the mythos packs. In every LCG we are given 3 copy of each cards. What will happen here? We get 2 copy of the cards and one improved version?

Basic cards and their XP versions are different cards, in terms of distribution. Mythos packs will have 2x of each player card (be they XP or basic), except Investigators and weaknesses probably. But about 70% of a pack's contents will be encounter cards.

• Carthoris likes this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Basic cards and their XP versions are different cards, in terms of distribution. Mythos packs will have 2x of each player card (be they XP or basic), except Investigators and weaknesses probably. But about 70% of a pack's contents will be encounter cards.

Given that new Investigators also means having those miniature cards, which would be tricky to pack in a Mythos Pack, and that the first deluxe expansion has five Investigators included, I'd expect that Investigators will be expansion only, and Mythos Packs will have only player cards and encounter cards.

LotR usually has 32 encounter cards per Adventure Pack, which is probably about where Mythos Packs will fall, give or take a little. That would leave 28 free slots, or 14 player cards. LotR packs also generally have 10 new player cards (1 hero and 9 triplicate cards for decks), so it could follow that distribution instead, which would mean 40 encounter cards per pack.

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Just a loose thought:

Do you guys think it will be possible for one player to just jump in to one of the scenario accross campaign? Let's say I will be mostly playing with my wife. But once in a while her nephew would like to join us.

It would be good not to start over or play solo mission but just to treat him as unexpectedly met investigator in AH that is willing yo help you during one mission.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Just a loose thought:

Do you guys think it will be possible for one player to just jump in to one of the scenario accross campaign? Let's say I will be mostly playing with my wife. But once in a while her nephew would like to join us.

It would be good not to start over or play solo mission but just to treat him as unexpectedly met investigator in AH that is willing yo help you during one mission.

Sure. Since the goals scale with the number of investigators go nuts. Only "disadvantage" would be his lack of XP for his deck but I'm sure you can just throw him a set amount you agree on to "catch him up".

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I think i will even keep this as last resort in case one campaign mission will, let's say, spam monsters like crazy. Than my team will be reinforced by some Guardian terminator :)

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

Just a loose thought:

I would suggest giving him some experience points, maybe not quite as many as you or your wife, since he isn't playing as much, but coming in with a few xp will make him feel more like he can contribute his fair share rather than feeling under powered comparatively. (IMO at least.) 

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Just a loose thought:

Well, since I'm pretty sure all the scenarios will be designed to be played as part of a campaign OR as stand-alones (less thematic, but still mechanically functional), I'm sure this'll work. The other thing is that I'd guess that while XP might help, it probably mostly offsets the damage, weaknesses etc that you pick up by playing in a campaign mode. So yeah, I think a 1-off investigator can definitely work.

• MightyToenail likes this