Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arkham Horror LCG

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Obvious fake is obvious. I vaguely recall an older BGG thread where someone had started to create LotR-style cards with CoC artwork.

It's also _not_ something I'd be interested in. The LotR LCG system isn't that great.

With the Warhammer Quest card game, we also already have an improved version of it.

They have already said that new LCGs will replace old ones.
Conquest replaces invasion
Got2.0 replaces got 1.0
L5R replaces Cthulhu
Arkham Horror replaces...

But then again, Lotr appeals to a much different crowd than the rest of the LCGs, so there is still hope.

Actually, considering what I heard from Conquest players about the current state of the game, I expect that Conquest is going to be replaced by L5R.

• Carthoris likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts
See, I found the Warhammer Quest game to be a **** poor alternative to LotR. A CoC version would hopefully take the best of both games and make for an even better experience.
  • muindendron likes this

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
But... but.... my wallet......
  • Zilvake likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I'm with Skelton Warhammer Quest wasn't even close to Lotr also lotr is still one of there best selling lcgs so it clearly is liked by a lot of people. Plus can use what have learned from Lotr to make a better version. 

From other thing I see Star Wars being done way before Conquest. 

I posted in the other forum in general discussion, why do you think its fake (if responded on other forum ignore this) I remember another game of FFG being spoiled exactly like this not to long ago. 

nierensieb

nierensieb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I'm calling this now:

The investigator cards will be double sided, with sane and insane versions of the investigator.
Damage > health will kill the investigator but loss of all sanity will flip the card.

Each investigator will have group of cards that have to be taken with it, ala conquest, e.g. so the nun will start with a crucifix, rosemary, prayer event etc.

This will be ffg's answer to the pathfinder card game, with the campaign mode being equivalent to the legacy type of gameplay found in pathfinder.

I call four "areas of expertise" like LotR's four spheres: Combat, Investigation, Terror & Arcane.

Each investigator card will somehow determine which type of cards you can include in your deck, either by deck building or resourcing restriction.

The rest of the rules basically writes itself  :wub:

Seriously, I consider this a real leak and am very psyched about this game. Don't get me wrong, I don't think LotR LCG was a particularly good game and I fully except Arkham Horror LCG to have some of the same weaknesses... but there's actually a decent chance I can get my girlfriend to play... AND I will be able to re-use all the Call of Cthulhu-playmats I own.

I for one am happy  B)

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

The LotR LCG is one of the best games I have ever played and I love it. I also love the Mythos and the CoC LCG so this for me would be outstanding (though heavy on the wallet considering I am also currently following SW and 40K LCGs as well as Imperial Assault).

I would truly love this as a product, if its a Hoax it will have been a nasty trick.

I also very much enjoy the Warhammer Quest ACG but think it is a completely different animal to LotR LCG in terms of mechanics, gameplay and theme. Fantasy as a setting is the main thing I see shared between LotR and WHQ but then we all perceive things differently

• MightyToenail likes this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

See, I found the Warhammer Quest game to be a **** poor alternative to LotR. A CoC version would hopefully take the best of both games and make for an even better experience.

Yeah, plus not receiving expansions, and you got a bad game.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

If it's real, I will certainly pick it up and give it a try.  Whether I collect will depend on the quality of the game but I would hope that with their experiences with LotR they should be able to do an even better job with this one.  If it's real that is...

We probably won't find out for sure until Gencon though which is just over 10 weeks from now.

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Man, if this is real I'm about ready to lose my mind with excitement. I love the theme of Cthulhu, but the gameplay of the original card game was a bit too heady for me. On the other hand, I love LotR LCG so another cooperative LCG is exactly what I'd want to get into (even if I'll be sad that we can't play as the Mythos).

Considering they've rebranded all their Mythos stuff on the site as being part of their "Arkham Horror" line rather than their "Cthulhu" line, I'm thinking this is pretty likely.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

The thing that's giving me pause is there's no SKU listed in the leaked image. It looks like it's intended for some kind of catalog like a distributor would mail to retailers, or maybe the booklet FFG includes in game boxes, but if that were the case, wouldn't it include a SKU or product ID code?

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

The thing that's giving me pause is there's no SKU listed in the leaked image. It looks like it's intended for some kind of catalog like a distributor would mail to retailers, or maybe the booklet FFG includes in game boxes, but if that were the case, wouldn't it include a SKU or product ID code?

Yeah, I noticed that too.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
Actually, considering what I heard from Conquest players about the current state of the game, I expect that Conquest is going to be replaced by L5R.

I do feel like Conquest will end before Thrones, SW and Netrunner, but not this early.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

I have done my research and determined that there are no mentions of this on the internet before JSBingsley's post. Suspicious indeed.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

This will be ffg's answer to the pathfinder card game, with the campaign mode being equivalent to the legacy type of gameplay found in pathfinder.

I thought I should explain this a bit more, for those who are not familiar with the pathfinder card game.

Pathfinder is the marmite of LCG's, you either love it or hate it. It has the greatest framework of any card game but then scenario and card design was handed off to a bunch of brain dead monkeys.

Each player has a hero, with attributes, skills, multiple upgrade paths (for levelling up) and their own deck construction rules. Up to 6 players can take part, forming an adventuring group, with the game scaling to the number of hero's in use.

An adventure path (deluxe + 6 chapter packs) is made up of 33 scenarios that are played in order, and form one long story. The scenarios get more difficult, a beginning hero would stand no chance against a CP6 scenario, experience must be gained and powerful items acquired first.

A scenario is made up of X locations, scaled according to the number of players, and a turn limit to keep up the pressure. The hero's move to different locations and investigate, finding items & recruiting allies, as well as fighting enemies and overcoming obstacles.

What makes the game great is that it is a legacy card game, the events of one scenario effect the following scenarios and characters evolve (or die). Whenever you find an item it's added to your deck, when you make an ally the card goes in your deck, when you use a one use item (potion) or an ally dies you lose that card from your deck. At the end of the scenario you remove excess cards from your deck, changing your deck each time you play. Each card in your deck becomes part of the story, whenever a thief makes off with you favourite sword you'll feel that hurt for a long time.

When a hero dies they go back in the box and cannot be used for the rest of the adventure path, you have to pick a new hero.

When I think of a single investigator game with a campaign mode I imagine it being a legacy storytelling game like pathfinder.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

I have done my research and determined that there are no mentions of this on the internet before JSBingsley's post. Suspicious indeed.

It's the image quality that makes me suspicious, a bit more resolution and the designers name could be made out... but I like guessing at what a AH game would look like so I'll carry on ;)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

No reason to debate wether real or not but still fun to talk about a possible real game. 

It be cool if it is kinda like pathfinder. Pathfinder had a lot of solid ideas just failed in execution with art and story and gameplay mechanics weren't real exciting but had a lot of solid ideas. Using that concept along with learning from lotr think this be amazing.

I'd hope their be some expansions or scenarios where you play on opposite side. 

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

I'd hope their be some expansions or scenarios where you play on opposite side.

I always thought a netrunner style game would be great for cthulhu.

You would build an investigators deck and a mythos deck and play a game with each deck.
You're mythos identity would be your ancient one, your agenda would be your plot to take over the world and would define the winning conditions for each player. The agenda would be hidden from the investigator player until their investigation caused it to be revealed.
  • Zilvake and crackotage like this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Pathfinder is the marmite of LCG's, you either love it or hate it. It has the greatest framework of any card game but then scenario and card design was handed off to a bunch of brain dead monkeys.

I wouldn't go so far as saying I hate it, but it's an utter bore. It's my only game purchase in the last 2-3 years I consider a complete failure. I like the idea of brain-dead monkeys being responsible for this train-wreck :D

It be cool if it is kinda like pathfinder. Pathfinder had a lot of solid ideas just failed in execution with art and story and gameplay mechanics weren't real exciting but had a lot of solid ideas.

I won't deny that I could see someone with a clue about game design might create something that's actually interesting from the PACG, but as it is right now, it's incredibly dull. Even the often-praised character advancement isn't really well implemented. The Warhammer Quest card game system is way better.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
If it is anything like Lotr I'll buy it.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I tried Pathfinder back when it came out.  It seemed like a good concept, but poor execution.  Rather on the simplistic side, and their loot system seemed really bad as it didn't scale with level so you'd mostly get either crap you don't want or stuff too strong to be able to use at your level.  Like the entire mechanism for choosing appropriate gear to drop was mysteriously lost and they just decided to go to print without it.

Meaning to try the app version sometime, it may be fast/easy enough that it's OK to be that simple.  Elder Sign app kind of works like that.