Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arkham Horror LCG

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

I have done my research and determined that there are no mentions of this on the internet before JSBingsley's post. Suspicious indeed.

When you search for the text I find some more foreign websites that mention it, or have the same post but I can't actually go to them due to firewalls at work.  Under the assumption that it is real, I'm guessing a foreign online vendor posted the image/text before they were supposed to.  And perhaps it has since been pulled down, but it has already started to spread over the last few days.

• MightyToenail likes this

MitchG

MitchG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

When you search for the text I find some more foreign websites that mention it, or have the same post but I can't actually go to them due to firewalls at work.  Under the assumption that it is real, I'm guessing a foreign online vendor posted the image/text before they were supposed to.  And perhaps it has since been pulled down, but it has already started to spread over the last few days.

Given how early Spain got the Star Wars expansion, this seems a likely scenario. The lack of SKU did make me suspicious too, but I am going to live in blissful ignorance of that omission and hope on all hell this is legitimate. 

• DavFlamerock likes this

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

I've already asked several friends who are going to GenCon this year to check it out.  At the very least, I assume there will be demos given like they did with X-COM and Witcher.  However, both those games weren't available for purchase until sometime the following year.   :(   hopefully that isn't the case!

The early art might not even have a SKU yet.  I can't remember if the demo boxes of X-COM/Witcher did or not.

ZenClix

ZenClix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I'd pledge my soul to Cthulhu for this to be true.....

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

They have already said that new LCGs will replace old ones.
Conquest replaces invasion
Got2.0 replaces got 1.0
L5R replaces Cthulhu
Arkham Horror replaces...

.....Star Wars

I know it's been already sattled, but I couldn't resist myself. I really think of this as a Cthulhu ver 2.0 if true (and I really really hope it is, as I always wanted to play CoC but have no one to play against), which would make L5R replace something else.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

.....Star Wars

If only...

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

You guys need to stop viewing it as  A replaces B and C replaces D and so forth. I'm sure if they can make twelve fully supported and played LCGs they would. I'm not expecting it to happen but if it did I'm sure they'd be okay with that. We might end up with 7 after L5R next year. Unless one drops off the map between now and then. All based on sales. The games they have all have strong licenses so hard to see any one of them going away but stranger things have happened. Lotr license is due for renewal soon so maybe they choose not to or lose the bid to a different company. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I agree w/ Toqtamish.  There is no reason to assume that FFG operates with a replacement policy where one game has to die in order for them to come out with a new one.

I really think of this as a Cthulhu ver 2.0 if true (and I really really hope it is, as I always wanted to play CoC but have no one to play against), which would make L5R replace something else.

Other than theme, there will probably be little or no similarity between this and the Call of Cthulhu LCG, which at least to me makes it hard to see it as a successor game.  Even if they keep some similar icons or a couple of mechanics, switching from competitive to co-op alone will make it a vastly different game.

If it's a 2.0 of anything, it would probably be Lord of the Rings.  As the first co-op LCG, Arkham Horror will be inheriting mainly from that as a design starting point, even though it has a different theme and probably significantly different mechanics.

• Carthoris, migelpig and MightyToenail like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

To add, I do expect cosmetic similarities.  For instance, the Combat/Terror/Arcane/Investigation icons are used in other FFG games that feature the Cthulhu theme.  So, I expect there's a high chance they will exist in the new game as well.  Some of them may even have similar effects, but that's more a feature of trying to maintain consistency than attempting to mimic any particular older game and their functions will likely be adjusted to fit whatever the new ruleset is.

As specific examples...

Combat & Terror - If we assume there are some sort of ally characters (seems like a safe bet), then it could make sense that these might keep similar functions where they wound/kill someone or drive someone insane.  The player would probably select the targets, if they are still used in similar enough manner, or the choice may be done by having predetermined which character will "oppose" the monster or whatever it is that has the icons.  However, they could also function differently depending on the mechanics of the overall game.  Combat in Cthulhu is mostly a "you die or you don't" thing whereas in LotR characters more often have multiple wounds.  Cthulhu has Toughness too, but it's not common and there is nothing built into the Combat check to deal multiple wounds which I assume you'd likely want to exist to make certain things powerful enough that you can't just easily chump block them in combat round after round.  There is not (yet) any concept of being able to take multiple Terror effects before the insanity kicks in (you're either immune or not) so Terror is more likely not to need modification unless they wanted to expand how insanity works which would be really cool.  I'd love to see something like an insanity deck that can give various different negative attachment conditions and this opens some interesting design space.  But, even if the effects are similar in a broad sense the type of decisions and pressures on the player may differ quite a lot depending on how the game functions as a whole.  For instance, an unexpected "deal a wound" effect in Cthulhu would be a much bigger deal than the same effect in Conquest.

Arcane - could easily function similar to how it does in CoC, readying a character, assuming that committing works similar to how it does in LotR.  No particular reason to change, but under what situations readying as a result of an icon struggle is useful will also depend on the phase structure of the game and how many characters are good at multiple tasks.  For instance, in LotR you typically need someone who is capable at both questing and combat to get the most out of a readying effect, or possibly some "exhaust to do X" type ability.

Investigation will probably need adjustment.  There will likely be something like a progress token, and it could do something with that, but getting 1 token may be too slow for this to make sense.  Same goes for tokens on locations in the LotR sense, usually when you quest you're expecting to put multiple tokens down and not one, so just "winning" Investigation for 1 likely won't work.  Yes, you could get the number of tokens you "won by" but this also makes it significantly different from Call of Cthulhu where "win by" doesn't normally matter.

Skill as a separate contested check may or may not even exist.  It lacks a recognizable icon and does not exist in all the Cthulhu themed games, so it seems easy to drop if they want to.

JonDigman

JonDigman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I think the 1:1 replacement comes from the following actions:

1) GoT 1.0 replaced by GoT 2.0
2) At GenCon, it was stated that there is a limited amount of resources to support LCGs.
3) L5R acquisition announced.
4) COC ending announced.

I think the Asmodee purchase might throw a little "maybe" in here, but then again, it might be a reason for exiting also.

Note: timeline not researched, just from top of my head.

orrf

orrf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I would love to see a hybrid game if there ever will be a arkham lcg.
Taking the experience from lotr lcg/warhammer quest for the solo/coop main focus.
Then mixing things up and having some sort of multiplayer/coop kind of like the star wars lcg multiplayer where one player pilots the game so to speak. Then you'll have a solo/coop on one side and a team/coop competitive type of game on the other :)

JChoong212

JChoong212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am quite excited with this news.  If it is true, it will be interesting on how FFG will introduce the investigators based on the factions from Call of Cthulhu.  Maybe it the investigators and their cards can be categarized as follow.

Agency - provide fire power to deal deal damage to monsters and cultists as well as being able to put down more allies and gain reinforcement (they may function like cards from Leadership sphere in LotR LCG)

Miskatonic University - for card draw, and progress acceleration (progress tokens will be represented as clue tokens in AH: The Card Game) - (they will be like Lore cards)

The Lodge (The Order of the Silver Twilight) - have investigators that can competent deal with Arcane threats, also provide support against sanity attack, and probably give healing

Syndicate - a lot of "trickery" to delay the threat of the Ancient Ones and to divert monster attack; perhaps may include certain things like board and card manipulation (perhaps incapacitating monsters and cultists, switching places of allies and monsters, etcc), event cards that help investigators to escape from some tight spot and cards that can help delay monster attack and advancement of the doom threat.

Ancient Ones card can consist of location where Investigators has to explore but putting down clues, monsters, and events. Each card can act as as Shadow card like in LotR but the shadow effect will be refer to as Omen effect.

Each scenario will be going against an Ancient Ones and his minions like Cthulhu with his Deep Ones, Shub Niggurath with Dark Young, Mi-Go aliens, Yog-Sothoth with his Sorcerers, Hastur with his artists and lunatics, etc.  There will also be specific locations associated with each of the Ancient Ones where investigators have to explore and brave the encounters. E.g. Harbour area (such as Innsmouth associated with Cthulhu, jungles associated with Shub Niggurath, theaters and places with artists associated with Hastur, etc.

Each investigators and allies will be designed to have both Stamina and Sanity value to withstand the attack of the Ancient one monsters and events.  Then they will also be given Strength value to deliver physical damage and Arcane value to deliver magical damage or paid for certain Spell cards.

The threat will be represented by a Doom Dial (similar to LotR's Threat Dial)

I'm seriously curious on how FFG will make Arkham Horror into a co-operative card game as it will offer a novel experience in the Lovecraftian context.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I don't expect every scenario to be going against an Ancient One directly.  Some will, others may just be dealing with various mythos happenings or the plans of an Ancient One (but not involve them showing up directly).

There's definitely gotta be a dial of some sort.  I mean, this is FFG.  They love dials.

Your breakdown of the four likely factions makes sense, although it's sad that we won't be able to play the OTHER four factions anymore. A hybrid game is possible, but doesn't feel like it really adds enough to be worth developing to me.  Star Wars already had all the infrastructure for a competitive game, it just needed special strong decks capable of fighting multiple people, which is a comparatively smaller change than turning LotR into a competitive game for instance.

Anyway, I hope it's real but it's fun to speculate about it even if it isn't.  I'll be a sad panda if Gencon comes and there is no announcement after all :(

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Just going leave this here.

A few facts:
1. There is difference between LCG and Competitive LCG’s.
2. Whether FFG admits it or not, there are ceilings to what they can handle for competitive lcg’s.
3 (likely a fact). L5R didn’t replace Cthulhu. This, so far, appears to be the same thing as when WH:I went to WH:C. Cancelation of one, only to announce (once we get an announcement) a new game the following year. No sense having duplicate IPs in the same categories. (though, I’d argue co-op vs pvp are two different categories)

Now, one could argue the technicality that L5R could be taking Cthulhu’s place in the competitive circuit. That’d make a degree of sense. Though, if another big IP came along, I don’t think for a second they’d replace any game on the current roster of LCGS, competitive or not.

I have heard the rumor(?) that the contract for LotR will end sometime in 2017. Though I can never seem to find out where people find out this information. So, if LotR ends, it’ll be only for that reason. That being said, if it hasn’t already been renewed, I’m sure they’re going to try. Till then, I’m quite certain FFG is planning to continue.

So, I’d recommend resting easy till we hear otherwise.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Sorry for the double.

As to not completely waste this space….

I haven’t played Warhammer quest, but I have experienced LotR , and nearly every other FFG Cthulhu title other than Mansion of Madness. (is that a FFG title? Doesn’t matter).

We can probably expect more of the same thematic elements.

Investigators having:
Combat, Will, Skill, Lore, probably Luck, maybe investigation. An ability or few unique to them.

Player cards will likely include:
Allies, attachments, and events. Though I wouldn’t be shocked if allies were more unique in than in other lcgs.

Game cards will likely include:
Enemies, Events, locations. Something to govern the current rules of the game, aka, the role the quest cards fill in LotR.

Other than that I would expect relatively unique, but still thematically appropriate game play.

Personally, I enjoy the different levels of “zoom” the Cthulhu mythos has:
Eldrich Horror = World pov
Arkham Horror = Town pov
Arkham lcg = Person pov

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
If you follow Eric Lang on Twitter you'll see him mention that he's working on an epic game for ffg.
Given the games and LCG's Eric has done in the past its possible he is working on arkham horror.
  • slothgodfather and MightyToenail like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Can you post some of those twitter messages?  Is there any useful information there?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Can you post some of those twitter messages?  Is there any useful information there?

Zero details. He's good at being cryptic and working on a lot of designs right now. 

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
He really only says which publishers he is making games for, unless the publisher gives him permission to give extra details.

The only extra information his gives is that the game will be "epic"
You could probably figure out roughly when work began by going backwards through his posts.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Yeah, not terribly useful then...  *If* he's talking about this game, then I guess it's good to know it will be epic, but he could be talking about a different game altogether.  Still, it's a decent possibility given his association with past LCGs as well as Arkham Horror.