Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Heresy Cycle - Fan made expansion

fan made new cards

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Testar

Testar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

POPULAR

Hello ladies and gentelmen! 

I'm a big fan of Adepta Sororitas and I was highly disappointed that almost no card in my favourite LCG represents this side of Warhammer universe. So I've got an idea. Maybe I should wait no longer and do something on my own? And now I'm glad to share with you outcome of my work. 

ALL UPDATED CARD AND VERSIONS FOR PRINT CAN BE FOUND HERE

Spoiler

I also want to clarify few things that may concern you:
What is the source of cards artwork?
- I found all images that I used on internet. I hope it's not a problem to use them in cards since I'm not looking for any profit. 
I can clearly see some mistakes in you cards
- I'm a polish player so I may have made few grammar miastakes or just translate something badly. You can just let me know, I can fix my mistakes anytime and upload the fixed version of cards (That also concerns any visual neglects) 

Damn, this one seems OP!

- Well, I didn't have much time yet to fully try all of these. But don't worry as I said I may balance these cards in the near future
Will you make more of these?

- Sure! I'm still full of ideas for cards to all factions!
This font is pretty ugly

- Well, it was impossible to use the same font as they did in FFG so I tried to obtain the closest result as I could. 

I didn't hear about these warlords before. And this card has a wrong name according to it's art
- I'm not super duper familiar with Warhammer lore so forgive me if I did some fluff crimes.

Speaking about warlords...
- In internet there is not so much art that can be redo to make Conqest warlords cards. So I had to work with what I've got. And I couldn't find bloodied warlords cards in good enough resolution to make this blood spatters on my cards. But I will try do something with that. 
What about signature cards?

-You can see how many of which should you have in version to print on google drive. But I will also write it down here:
- Canoness - standard, 4x unit, 1x support, 2x tactic, 1x attachment
- Imperial Fists warlord - 3x unit, 2x 2shield attachment, 1x 3shield attachment, 2x, tactic

I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. I will be greatful for any comments!

• Lemonbrick, Hayati, Horatius and 10 others like this

ChaoticRainbow

ChaoticRainbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Very fun. Some really nice concepts there. Love the idea of fortifying a planet.  Fits in really well with the entire theme.

gnollu

gnollu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Well... To much anime imho :D

But on the other side I hope next WL for AM will be indeed SoB one.

Yea, to OP (Repentia) but still I hope sb from FFG will look into that as it has lot of potential.

To sum up - good job

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Cool stuff.

Hayati

Hayati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Incredible work pal!

Jreilly89

Jreilly89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
These could be overpowered, but they look like a blast. I hope to try them out, great work!!!

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
Great job!

tacullu

tacullu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Wording consistency post. I like your designs, by the way!

Canoness Elizabeth Veldar should read:
Interrupt: When a unit would be destroyed at this planet, ready that unit and remove damage from it up to the number of Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition units you control at that planet instead.

Elizabeth's Veterans should read:
This unit gets Armorbane if you have equal or more units than your opponent, or Area Effect (1) if you have less.

Holy Teachings should read:
While attached unit is at the first or second planet, this card gains: Interrupt: When an action is triggered, sacrifice this attachment to cancel its effects. (don't cancel the trigger, cancel the effect -- actions can be retriggered)

Sister Repentia should read:
While this unit is ready, it cannot be dealt damage and is immune to enemy card effects.

Penitent Engine should read:
This unit cannot gain Ranged. This unit must always be declared as an attacker, if able.
Reaction: After this unit resolves an attack and your opponent has an exhausted unit at this planet, ready that unit.

Suffer Not the Witch to Live should have:
Play only during a battle.
Combat Action: Target a non-warlord enemy unit at a planet. [Insert effect here] until the end of battle.

Never Shall We Tremble should have:
Play only during a battle.

Captain Veteran Cyrus should read:
You cannot play cards with Ambush on fortified planets. You cannot play events that target fortified planets or units you control on fortified planets.

• BayushiSezaru and Testar like this

tacullu

tacullu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Two things that bug me about your design is that it breaks faction boundaries, kind of.

Healing is not an Astra Militarum mechanic, creating AM cards that heal will bleed into Worr efficiency decks. If you can pidgeonhole it into Canoness' effect and signature squad, it would be balance-appropriate.

Fortification is infestation. Besides the difference in spelling, I don't see the real difference.

Otherwise, I actually like the design space you're trying to explore, if we're being inconsiderate to the factions you're trying to give certain effects and power levels to.

Jreilly89

Jreilly89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Two things that bug me about your design is that it breaks faction boundaries, kind of.

Healing is not an Astra Militarum mechanic, creating AM cards that heal will bleed into Worr efficiency decks. If you can pidgeonhole it into Canoness' effect and signature squad, it would be balance-appropriate.

Fortification is infestation. Besides the difference in spelling, I don't see the real difference.

Otherwise, I actually like the design space you're trying to explore, if we're being inconsiderate to the factions you're trying to give certain effects and power levels to.

Agreed about fortificstion, BUT it fits the fluff and it's a cool mechanic. Why should only Mods get it?

tacullu

tacullu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Agreed about fortificstion, BUT it fits the fluff and it's a cool mechanic. Why should only Mods get it?

I get you, Noise, but it's mechanical redundancy -- why duplicate a mechanic? To squeeze it in because of theme feels like lazy design. Implement fortifications in another way. Like Defense Battery in the Necrons box, that's an idea. In fact, I like the idea of Space Marines and Astra Militarum being the ones who have structures built on planets in the form of attachments.

Tyranids make planets effect beacons with infestation, can heal, and have weird, but efficient statlines. Space Marines already have their playstyle -- they're hardy, cost-efficient, and dominate melee battles with combat tricks. Why create a keyword to define a Space Marine mechanic that, by all intents and purposes, replicates the capability of another faction?

Skyknight

Skyknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Impressive work Testar - well done! Cyrus' fortification thing is a nice idea for sure; the Ecclesiarchy seem a little OP, some of them at least, but very nice indeed!

Also, I love the artwork on the Imperial Fists' 1st Company Tactical Squad - that guy looks badass :D

tacullu

tacullu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Also, I just notice now: the Sister Hospitaller can target your Warlord. You might wanna get that changed for balance reasons. :P

Nice recost on Sister Repentia, btw. Not sure if it's worth the 3, though. I kinda liked the 2 cost.

Testar

Testar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Well, I see your point. I didn't take into account the wider perscpective. I was more concern about making cards as fluffy as possible. So Sister Hospitaller just had to have heal, Missionary is recruting new soldiers to fight for the God Emperor and etc. Still I don't know if AM having cards that removes damage is a bad thing. Sure, I know that every faction has some main design but in my opinion it not prohibit having other, smaller mechanics. For example AM is known for having cheap, swarmy units but we still have Snotling Attack in orcs who are more oriented to big, tought units. And we have cards with heal in SM, Eldars and Chaos. So I think that one cards is not a big deal, but the main problem here is that I made this cards on my own and had hardly a chance to try them out in game. I supose that in FFG every planned card is tested in dozens of games with all possible warlords to see how it's release will affect the meta. Maybe some of that cards will make Worr even more powerful than he is right now. I just can't know that. At least I can nerf, buff or even completely change anything. So it's up for discussion. 

Coming to a fortification. I made that mechanic due to two reasons - it suits well Imperial Fists theme and I didn't want to have another SM warlord with drop pod and eager recruit. I can agree that it's similar to infestation (some kind of constant buff on a planet) but not at all points. Worr and Mavros abilities are aslo similar (buffing units at planets with defined colour) but their playstyle is completely different. So, first - ways to do it. In Tyranids there are a lot of cards that can infest planets and you have only one way to fortify a planet - by warlords ability. That's huge diffrence, your opponent knows that you can do it in only one way and can do something to prevent it (Later about this). Second thing - you can remove infestation and at this moment you can't do anything with fortified planets. Also you are not able to fortify first planet. And the last one - different benefits. It depends on cards realesed but infestation gives you possibility to improve your economy and some battle tricks. Fortification gives you more safe, kinda defensive playstyle. But there is one thing that I don't like at it at this moment - that you are fortifying planet after your warlords commits to it which gives your opponent less possibilities for counter play. I was just afraid that triggering it after you win a battle will make it too risky and weak with ambush/moving meta. But I'm stil considering that option. As I said - need to test that.

And thanks a lot for adjustments in card texts! But as you might have noticed I didn't change Cyrus and Penitient Engine coz they are meant to work like that. So both you and your opponent can not play targeting events on fortified planets and I don't want Penitient Engine to slaughter whole enemy army when he will use all of his attacks. 

• tacullu likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

There's some really cool cards here, and you've done a kickass job of making them look gorgeous! Did you use templates? It looks like a fun way to knock up some silly ideas and see what they could be like!

Thoughts:
I feel like the Sororitas warlord interrupt is quite wordy. I think I get what you are going for, but it seems really tough. Did you need to specify units from AM when this is an AM warlord?

I don't quite follow what the intent is for her Veteran's, and it feels like they are way too powerful to me at the moment. I'd love for you to find more detailed names for them, and the Cathedral. Names always sound cooler when they refer to particular saint or location or something!

I quite like Fervant Faith!

I'm not sure what you are wanting Holy Teachings to represent though. And why second planet also?

I love the devoted missionary and the imperial shrine that goes with him! Also love the hospitaller.

I don't think it's reasonable to have the Repentia immune to card effects and damage. Possible cannot be targeted unless alone? Likewise, the Pentent Engine jsut seems horrific...

I'm a huge fan of games that jsut mix up the basic mechanics for new units, and don't add too many fancy rules. Hence, Seraphim and Vindicare are awesome to me. I do think the Vindi could be HP2 though and maybe Cost 4?

Holy Duty is definitely too cheap, even if the unit is exhausted.

On to Cyrus!
Hmmm... I like the idea of a fortify mechanic, easy enough to draw parallels with other mechanics in the game. However, it is a massive boon to those units. AND it disallows major enemy interaction with those worlds. I think Fortify needs to be toned done. Maybe Fortified Planets do not have Ranged Skirmish rounds? I would think Fortify would make the units hardier, not shootier So, shield cards used on units at Fortified planets gain +1 shield icon?

I'm fairly sure that 1st Company squads are never called Tactical Squads, as they are entirely made up of Chapter Veterans. Sternguard is the name of the 'tactical' style veteran squads I believe. There's no First Company Scouts either. Scouts are usually int he 10th Company, and are the new recruits of a chapter, working in lower key situations until they build up some battlefield experience and can be assigned to a squad in a battle company. Maybe its a "Vigilent Warden" keeping watch but pulling back when needed.

Love the idea of shaking up the signature pod! Planet attachments instead of support, nice! I think I would keep them at 1 shield, like the events traditional are though. Stormshield is nice. I'm not sure if you should drop a unit for the planet attachment though, or if 4 units, 1 "support" is more reasonable here. I'd probably go conservative and say 4 units.

Hope those ideas help. I find getting the wording of these sorts of rules exactly right can be time-consuming but quite an interesting puzzle.

• Testar and Skyknight like this

Testar

Testar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

There's some really cool cards here, and you've done a kickass job of making them look gorgeous! Did you use templates? It looks like a fun way to knock up some silly ideas and see what they could be like!

Well, yea, I basically made templates from card images. So if you want I can share them with you. Shouldn't be hard to make something on your own. 

And coming to your thoughts:

- Yup, I had to, imperial guys only, no orks allowed. 

- The intent was to represent a soldiers, who have seen a lot of battles and can adapt to any situation and are not afraid of any enemy. So you have always more useful keyword for current battle. I also tried not to make too much detailed cards in fear of violate the lore or something. But I'll try to do something with that

- With faith in Emperor no Klaivex or Warpstorm can harm Holy Warriors of Mankind. But that inspiration has to be close to the heat of battle to truly inspire subordnates. 

- Coming to all balance issues - as I said I'll try to test all that cards soon and see how's it going in game. At this moment I'm not changing anything, but I also have some concerns and ideas to fortification stuff. But I don't think that extra shielding is a good idea, fortified units are always fortified, not only if you have appropriate cards in hand. 

- Thank you for fluff clarifications. I'm not a fan of Space Marines and I wasn't familiar with that numbering stuff. Also - I like the idea of three units and two attachments. You don't have too many units, which are not always useful and it's niec to have twice higher possibillity to have Strongold effect in game. 

Time for an update! I tried to make as orky warlord as possible. So more WAAAAAAGH and less 'ommies conomic trikz. I also hope that I named this Squig properly. I'll update versions for print tomorrow. Thanks for all your comments!  

Spoiler

• Grimbo likes this

Testar

Testar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Summer has begun so I finally menaged to find some times to do some new cards. I also spend whole saturday on playing Conquest with my friend when I've played with my warlords versus his Anakyr decks. As a result you might notice some minor balance changes in few cards. I also did a small font adjustmen - I think now it looks more like the orginal one. 

Anyway, let's look at a new warlord. I miss in Conqest the fell of Tau as a faction focused on ranged attacks and hit-and-run tactics. I hope I did well in obtaining that fell while keeping it fun and intresting to play. As always let me know about any mistakes that I've made. I also really appreciate all your thoughts and commentary. 

Jcg5z3O.pngFnmjMQy.pngd4JAEjW.png5bLoCct.pngpXmS94U.pngHYHSAIj.pngvaAH5Ui.pngbKid7cM.png

N1eUApE.png2jkRSBY.png

zgREMuI.png

• TheHiveTyrant likes this

Testar

Testar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
 For the Dark Gods! Some new cards if someone is interested.

PyHJpGl.pngwikX5nf.pngebejWib.pngmOCSy7r.pnglZdC89y.pngQCDykDp.png
rxMFArK.pngSaEXrSX.pngxTDrOdY.png9j7mUqY.pngfGaiYph.pngZPz1cOP.png
JBU6yJq.png7mtw6pG.pngmPLMeh4.pngHfL7vaK.pngZemU7Rm.png

• LittleJacob likes this

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

First of all great job coming up with these cards!!  I'd really like to know how you created the cards, like which software did you use and what template.  Second would you help people who are bad at such things to turn their creations into virtual cards?  Thanks and keep them coming. 

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

Petforces

Petforces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Great Job, with the cards. I would say instead of giving Chaos another warlord dedicated to the gods. It should have been Chaos Undivided.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fan made, new cards