Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arkham Horror LCG

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

dieyoda

dieyoda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

1) As a casual player whose playgroup consists mostly of his wife and kids, I'd welcome a new co-op game with open arms.

2) As perhaps the only person on earth who's not into the whole cthulu mythos thing, I'd prefer a different setting - imagine turning the old paranoia RPG, or Resident evil (the video games - not the lame-ass movies)  into a co-op LCG for instance.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

I'd like a few things.

1) Keep the focus on cooperative play

2) Make the overarching story more important. (more like the adventure card games), establish a sort of loot system. You start a campaign and add to your deck/collection by beating a mission.

2a) This allows for multiple win conditions with different cards added to your deck pool as a reward and lets people replay the same campaign but make different choices to establish a different path

3) Less auto-include cards

4) Personally I really like the way Conquest deck building works, not necessarily with the alignment wheel but something like an investigator who comes with 7-8 cards attached, then you build your deck around that investigators theme. I'd like this with something akin to net-runners influence theme,

I'll be playing both games if they exist.

To describe (2) a bit more. Maybe have a core set with all the cards and 3-4 mission. Each mission comes with 2-3 sets of reward cards that players add to their deck as they when they complete the mission. A similar scenario could be completed for packs. A new scenario is added to the campaign, once beaten you'll be able to add the cards to your deck building choices.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

dieyoda - Paranoia co-op LCG would be... interesting.  The first co-op LCG with secret traitor goals perhaps?

KennedyHawk - I'm hoping that each cycle will be a mini-campaign storyline.  First pack might be finding someone who's gone missing, second pack is tangling with the cult that kidnapped them, third is tracking down the cult's mysterious leader, etc... up to pack #6 where you are confronting an Ancient One or stopping some big ritual or whatever.  Then everyone goes insane, dies, has their souls consumed, and you start the next cycle fresh :)  It wouldn't feel right if the same guys lived through more than one story arc.

I agree on the Conquest system of each guy coming with their own custom cards, that's a good mechanic that should be reused and refined in some future game, whether this one is it or not.

• MightyToenail and alexbobspoons like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Only a week and a half to go until Gencon and we find out once and for all if this game is real or not..

Thinking about it further, Paranoia actually WOULD make a fairly interesting co-op LCG.  Each pre-made character they release can get their own identity card and "cadre" cards representing their starting equipment, skills, mutant power, and secret society contacts.  You can have up to six starting lives to make up for the high deadliness of the scenarios.  I'm not sure how to best handle security clearance though, it could end up amounting to a free pass through certain obstacles for some characters and not others but you could potentially abstract it into a skill check bonus or something rather than just a flat "you're allowed to pass, he's not".  You could have a mechanic where players can rat each other out for the Computer's favor - this could even be a strategic thing where it's "worth" losing a life on one guy in order to help a teammate defeat a tough challenge.  Implement side missions for the secret societies in order to earn rewards which could be cards, tokens, rerolls, etc...  I could see it.  Downside is it's a poorly know IP for most and it would need a license as well.  Plus I'm not sure it would appeal to the mass market that much.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Looks like it's real.  They just released an article today.  I'm surprised they didn't wait till Gen Con to spread the news about it.  Wonder why they didn't wait for the inflight report. It says 4th quarter 2016 is the release.  I'd happily play both games.