Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dupes and Ward

- - - - - rules

Best Answer ktom , 07 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

Nowhere in any of that does it say that when a card changes control, control of the dupe automatically changes, too. So it doesn't. So sure, dupes aren't attachments, but they are separate cards under the control of the player that brought them into play. Without an effect specifically changing control of the dupe, control stays with the owner of the dupe.

So if you take control of a unique character that has a dupe, you don't get the dupe, and it is the controller of the dupe - not the controller of the character - that gets to choose whether or not to discard the dupe (I.e., use it to pay a cost) to save the character. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

r480

r480

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If I get to play Ward on a character controlled by my opponent and it has dupes on it, do I get the control of the duplicates as well? e.g.: i kill the char for claim, does my opp control the duplicates? Thanks

Ownership and Control  (p. 14-15 RR)

• A card’s owner is the player whose deck held the card at the start of the game.
  • Cards by default enter play under their owner’s control.
  • Some abilities may cause cards to change control during a game.
  • A player controls the cards located in his or her out of play game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile, and dead pile).
  • If a card would enter an out of play area of a player who does not own the card, the card is placed in its owner's equivalent out of play area instead. (For all associated card ability and framework effect purposes, the card is considered to have entered that opponent's out of play area, and only the physical placement of the card is adjusted.)
  • If a participating character changes control during the resolution of a challenge, it is immediately removed from the challenge.

Duplicates  (p. 7 RR)

• A player may use additional copies, by title, of any unique card (indicated by a “unique󲀋” symbol in its title) he or she owns and controls in play as duplicates.
  • When a card enters play as a duplicate, it is placed faceup, overlapped by (i.e. partially visible beneath) the copy of the card that was already in play.
  • A duplicate grants its controller the following triggered game ability: “Interrupt: When the overlapping unique card would leave play, discard this duplicate to save that card. (Cannot be canceled.)”
  • There is no cost to marshal a card as a duplicate.
  • Duplicates are not considered attachments.
  • Duplicates are not affected by and do not interact with text that refers to attachments.
  • Duplicates have no text, titles, characteristics, type, or traits.
  • A duplicate is only considered a blank “duplicate card” while it is in play.
  • It is possible to have more than one duplicate on a single card.
  • A different version of a unique card may be used as a duplicate on the card.
  • The version of the card that was first in play remains as the active version once the duplicate is attached.
  • A player may not switch a card with its duplicate.
  • Marshaling a duplicate is not considered marshaling a card of the duplicate’s printed type. It is only considered “marshaling a duplicate card

ktom

ktom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1462 posts
✓  Best Answer
Nowhere in any of that does it say that when a card changes control, control of the dupe automatically changes, too. So it doesn't. So sure, dupes aren't attachments, but they are separate cards under the control of the player that brought them into play. Without an effect specifically changing control of the dupe, control stays with the owner of the dupe.

So if you take control of a unique character that has a dupe, you don't get the dupe, and it is the controller of the dupe - not the controller of the character - that gets to choose whether or not to discard the dupe (I.e., use it to pay a cost) to save the character.
  • r480 likes this

r480

r480

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks ktom!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rules