Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Epistolary Vezuel Deck Thread

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Start it up folx!

I find it weird that threads have popped up on the 4 Warlords spoiled after this one. SM hate?

Either way, all SM cards are now known prior to pack 2, where this guy will be unleashed. Will he be good?

I don't play SM, so I wont be participating.

>_>

• Hayati and MightyToenail like this

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Start it up folx!

I find it weird that threads have popped up on the 4 Warlords spoiled after this one. SM hate?

Either way, all SM cards are now known prior to pack 2, where this guy will be unleashed. Will he be good?

I don't play SM, so I wont be participating.

>_>

I plan to move on from my Ragnar deck and choose either Mavros or Vezuel as my next SM warlord.  Each offer something different to the table.  For now I plan to go with Vezuel because I like the card drawing ability and it's not restricted by the planet color like Mavros do.  Biggest concern with Vezuel is that the units that is in reserve do not contribute to the command struggle so he may have difficulty winning commands.  I will build my first Vezuel deck and post it here soon.

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Agree on the Command problem,

But that is probably why he has a printed card draw advantage, with no limit(planet color, or attempts per round! Vey Cato like!). I actually think he is pretty awesome, and there are already 12 Marine cards with Deep Strike, that are all pretty good, or offer nice utility. Sig Event for initiative, Sig unit for 2 point ping, the straightening of the assault squad, and the double shield jump pack with flying.

I don't know, as the cycle continues, I see a buttload of cards being drawn, and fulgaris feels like you will have a 4/8 warlord often.

And that's w/o even looking at alliance options.

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

While it's true that attempts to shut Vezuel down on cards may be futile, any WL with good command game like Eldorath and Kith will be able to overwhelm Vezuel with cappers in the early game, forcing Vezuel to essentially first planet bully.  I may be wrong of course but not having your sig units and other deepstriking units contribute to the command struggle may be Vezuel's shortcoming.  

• PaxCecilia likes this

GlaiveGuy

GlaiveGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
What Vezuel loses in command he makes up for in efficiency from deep striking. You can pay 1 resource and put down a 3/3 assault company or 2/2 Sig squad then spend your other resources on command units. Then, after you win command and accumulated more resources those new resources go to pay for your deep strike units.

As well with the current deep strike cards you can get by with a smaller board.

The hunters do 2 damage out the gate, the assault squad can ready another unit from HQ and the jump pack keeps your units alive longer.

This efficient use of cards and resources will help him get by on a low economy.
  • sammann11, Sizer and Grimbo like this

Sizer

Sizer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

As GlaiveGuy points out, the 1 resource to put a card into play also makes for a great deploy stall. If running a good number of 1 cost cappers along with your deep strike cards you'll be able to hold back your command cards while putting out deep strike cards for 1 resource and then be able to play your 1-3 command units more efficiently. And then, as Guy points out you can pay to deep strike in your combat units where and when you need them (not even necessarily having to do that on the same turn).

Watch out for Chaos warp rifting though....that could seriously mess up your deepstrike plans!

• sammann11 and Grimbo like this

Jreilly89

Jreilly89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Exited for this guy, think he'll be a blast. What I'm curious about though, is if I deepstrike a card to planet 1, don't flip it, and the battle ends, does he go to planet 2, or does he go to my hq?

AllTheSithDudes

AllTheSithDudes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

I believe cards that are not flipped at P1 get discarded after P1 goes away, they are effectively attached to the planet.

• Sizer likes this

HidaHonk

HidaHonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I think He is better than ragnar and mavros. Cato I am not sure.

TommyH

TommyH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I saw GlaiveGuy's Vezuel deck on the Hive Tyrant's channel using Caius Wroth. Do we think that Caius will be a staple in Vezuel decks due to the inbuilt card advantage mechanic? Combining him with the flying jump pack seemed like a very nice setup. 

• Ultramarine likes this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Small 5 day bump just to bury the other thread that was accidently started :P

• sammann11 likes this

Abyssalfury

Abyssalfury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Right now, I'm not sure he's really playable as the 'Deep Strike' guy, as opposed to 'SM good stuff', but thoughts assuming that's the way to go:

I think you'd pretty much have to play 8th Company and Jump Pack to get enough use out of DS, so I'd be looking to maximize those.

8th Company feels like they promote planet one bullying, and DS in general rewards setting up potential threats on planets. That feels like the way to go. His sig squad can then come in and snipe threats, the Jump Pack keeps your units around longer. Meanwhile his sig event means he doesn't need to be around to win initiative, and he can potentially go off command sniping or clearing other planets, particularly with Fulgaris.

Main issue right now is probably supporting the DS cards, both in terms of command presence and combat units that work with the deck when you aren't deep striking.

Tau allies seems good, even if they don't yet have any DS yet. ECT for Fulgaris seems obvious and it may well be better than Cato+Blade for big battles. Jump Pack just adds to that. They also generally work well for bullying planets, though 8th Company only standing marines doesn't really help. But it does help play Tense Negotiations, which could be very nice. Tactical Withdrawl from pack 3 feels like it could be a big help - it's cheap, and it setting it up on planet one/two would help you bully quite effectively (it's also essentially a straight 1R for 1C trade, even if you don't actually use it's effect, so won't be useless).

• Grimbo likes this

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

DS units have to be put in reserve as an reaction to your opponent's deployment I think.  For example only put 8th Company at a planet when you have units at HQ that you need to ready at an upcoming battle.  For his sig do it when there's an enemy unit at that planet that you want to damage or kill, etc.  Vezuel will require careful planning in order to do well.  I'd say he may be the most complicated WL to play for SM.  

• Jreilly89 likes this

FightingWalloon

FightingWalloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts
Deep Strike might make it hard for opponents to guess where you are sending your warlord. Planet icons will drive that at times, of course, but having two or three planets with cards in reserve could create a real commitment quandary.

SrgntKurgan

SrgntKurgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

The biggest concern I have with this is command presence. If I deep strike a few cards, that costs resources vs. putting units out to have decent command game.... Choices, choices! 

Could be comparable to say ambush platform - gives you sort of "ambush" option, but more telegraphed than ambush platform, or say Eager Recruit. Hopefully, the deep strike cards will be worth it, and so far looks like they have some good abilities :)

TonyH122

TonyH122

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Haven't had the chance to play Vezuel yet, of course, but I I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Do you think that 7 armies, 2 attachments, and 2 events (for a total of 11) deep striking cards is enough. That's 1 in 5 cards, which seems fine for me. Deep striking armies are, of course, a mixed bag, given the lack of command, so I doubt he'll ever want to go above 7 of those. And even deep striking events are not perfect, as deep striking is deploy only, and you want combat tricks that aren't so telegraphed (You're a damn Space Marine!). Deep struck attachments seem to be the only place you would really want more. Maybe a really good 2 shield deep striking event would be the only thing that would intrude on the big four - Indomitable, DPA, Primal Howl, Crushing Blow. (PS: I despise anti-DPA sentiment).

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com  Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord: 
1x Epistolary Vezuel (Unforgiven) 

Army Unit: (30)
4x Vezuel’s Hunters (Unforgiven)
3x Blood Angels Veterans (Core Set)
3x Eager Recruit (Core Set)
3x Honored Librarian (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Sanctioned Psyker (Core Set)
3x Tactical Squad Cardinis (Core Set)
2x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x 8th Company Assault Squad (Jungles of Nectavus)
3x 10th Company Scout (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
1x Fulgaris (Unforgiven)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
2x Valkyris Pattern Jump Pack (Jungles of Nectavus)

Event: (13)
2x Unseen Strike (Unforgiven)
2x Crushing Blow (Gift of the Ethereals)
3x Drop Pod Assault (Core Set)
3x Indomitable (Core Set)
3x Primal Howl (Descendants of Isha)

Support: (1)
1x Dark Angels Cruiser (Unforgiven)

It may be a bit boring, but my thinking for SM decks is that the old way is the best way. I'll leave innovation for those nasty space elves.

• Grimbo likes this

munkeykungfu

munkeykungfu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Figured I would give this guy a try. Not 100% convinced by him but only one way to find out. Here is my starter for 10.

Support (1)

• Grimbo and Skyknight like this

Skyknight

Skyknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Looks pretty good. Props for Calculated Strike :)

I'd recommend Tense Negotiations over War of Ideas to keep the number of cards as low as possible, but maybe that's just a matter of preferred play style.

• Grimbo likes this

munkeykungfu

munkeykungfu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

So had a few more games with this guy. Whilst he is nowhere near T1 I am enjoying playing him :-) It's still at 51 cards right now so needs some more tweakng.

Deathwing moved in as they work quite well with Ion Rifles and Jump packs. Want to try and squeeze in 2 of the new drop pods when they come out next week.

Support (1)

StingerMK2

StingerMK2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

<p><p>
So had a few more games with this guy. Whilst he is nowhere near T1 I am enjoying playing him :-) It's still at 51 cards right now so needs some more tweakng.

Deathwing moved in as they work quite well with Ion Rifles and Jump packs. Want to try and squeeze in 2 of the new drop pods when they come out next week.

Army (28)

• 3x8th Company Assault Squad
  • 3xBlood Angels Veterans
  • 2xDeathwing Guard
  • 3xEager Recruit
  • 3xHonored Librarian
  • 3xRogue Trader
  • 3xTactical Squad Cardinis
  • 3xVash'ya Trailblazer
  • 1xVeteran Brother Maxos
  • 4xVezuel's Hunters
Attachment (6)
  • 1xFulgaris
  • 2xIon Rifle
  • 3xValkyris Pattern Jump Pack

Event (16)
  • 2xCalculated Strike
  • 3xDrop Pod Assault
  • 1xExterminatus
  • 3xIndomitable
  • 3xPrimal Howl
  • 2xUnseen Strike
  • 2xWar of Ideas

Support (1)
  • 1xDark Angels Cruiser

Has war of ideas been any good? Seemed like a very niche include to me so glad to see someone giving it a go