Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A new forum.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
https://www.fantasyf...ter-the-mythos/

In case anybody missed it. We can move away from the regular CoC fora for purposes of discussing this game.

Who else can't wait?
  • NuFenix, VonWibble and phillosmaster like this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Looking forward to it. I know some former Cthulu players don't like that its co-op, but that for me is no problem at all.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
I actually quite like that. I gave up on any tournament support from our local store so the co-op nature really does appeal a great deal. This is the only LCG I play now, excluding the original CoC so I am looking forward to it's release.

cml

cml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I'm excited for this.  I don't think I would have been able to keep up with another competitive LCG, with Thrones and L5R coming, but a co-op game fits nicely into my gaming portfolio.

• xchan likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Looking forward to it. I know some former Cthulu players don't like that its co-op, but that for me is no problem at all.

There is room in the world for more than one kind of game.  I like the theme and I think they have learned from years of experience with LotR how to "do it better" this time around so I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

There is room in the world for more than one kind of game.  I like the theme and I think they have learned from years of experience with LotR how to "do it better" this time around so I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

They seem to have learn a lot from LotR, but the game also seems to be aimed at a completelly different target than LotR was (and not because of the theme). Some of the changes are pointing at a lighter deckbuilding with assisted help. This could be the perfect game to introduce LCG and deckbuilding to all those boardgame players that were interested on LotR but were put off by all the deckbuilding required. I really hope they stick to it as that would expand the already saturated market a lot (I mean, how many LCG can someone follow?) and will probably bring new blood to their other LCG once they learn how to deckbuild, and not change the focus mid game to please the traditional LCG fans. We already have LotR to keep us entertained in the co-op department, I have no problem with letting others have this one.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

You have said this multiple, multiple times in various threads and I still do not see where you are getting this idea that it is lighter on deck building. There is not enough information publicly available to base that on. 

• dboeren likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I've been pouring through everything I can find about this game online - there's not much - and I haven't seen anything about lighter deck-building either.  Where is this "information" coming from?  Perhaps it's because there are only 30 cards in the deck, so technically it weighs less  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm getting pumped up for this game.  Initially I was unenthusiastic about a Cthulhu-themed co-op as I'm not big on co-op deck-builders (as opposed to boardgames).  But after watching the Team Covenant video a few times, I'm jazzed to play.  Plus, with Cthulhu dead and buried, AGoT 1e replaced, and Doomtown canceled, I found myself in a bit of an LCG bind.  My FLGS offered to set me up with some AH Core sets upon release if I would run demos through October and November.  Looks like I've got myself a new LCG!  That is, until L5R comes out late next year.

• Toqtamish and dboeren like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I've been pouring through everything I can find about this game online - there's not much - and I haven't seen anything about lighter deck-building either.  Where is this "information" coming from?  Perhaps it's because there are only 30 cards in the deck, so technically it weighs less  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm getting pumped up for this game.  Initially I was unenthusiastic about a Cthulhu-themed co-op as I'm not big on co-op deck-builders (as opposed to boardgames).  But after watching the Team Covenant video a few times, I'm jazzed to play.  Plus, with Cthulhu dead and buried, AGoT 1e replaced, and Doomtown canceled, I found myself in a bit of an LCG bind.  My FLGS offered to set me up with some AH Core sets upon release if I would run demos through October and November.  Looks like I've got myself a new LCG!  That is, until L5R comes out late next year.

There is a lot of AH LCG discussion on Discord chat. That is where I have seen the majority so far. 

I too have found myself in a LCG hole for over a year now. The SW LCG died out last summer and I found myself without a card game. Since then I have looked back in to ANR(passed on it), bought a bunch of Doomtown right before it got axed (thankyou very much AEG :angry: ), re-downloaded Hearthstone, etc. None of it has worked for me at all. I am waiting for L5R being a long time fan of that but it is a ways away yet. Having never before understood the appeal of solo games I gotta say this one does appeal to me and now with the kids, work, house etc I can totally see the appeal of a solo game from time to time. 

RandomMan

RandomMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I demo'd the game at GenCon and I was rather unimpressed.  Perhaps it was because it was Sunday morning and I was tired or something but the game was not firing for me. It was when I was supposed to reach into the bag of pogs that I lost interest.  I am not saying that this game is bad but component/materials wise it fell flat for me.  I am going to wait until the game comes out and read other peoples reviews of the full game.  I work at a hobby store and the impression that the game left on me has had some impact on peoples interest in the game but I remind them to wait and see if it is something that interests them.  I guess I wanted something a little more complete like LotR.  In fact, I would have loved LotR mechanics for Cthulu but instead we get pogs in a bag.  To make a long ramble short, I am in no big hurry for the game but there was a time that I was foaming at the mouth for it. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I have zero idea why so many are making such a big deal out of a bag of tokens. Is it really that hard to reach in to a bag ?
  • Yipe, Vlad3theImpaler and MightyToenail like this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
So many? This is the first complaint I have seen of that ilk.
  • HappyDD likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
There's been lots of others. It's very bizarre.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
Fair enough. Never bothered me. I love Scrabble. ;)

In all seriousness though, that isn't a worry. If anything, the little spoiler article from yesterday has me more psyched than ever.
  • cml likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I can see drawing tokens as taking up a bit of time and table room for the bad, but these are solved by using a cup instead.  And, the token approach is much more flexible than dice as you can modify the bag contents at any time.  It's really hard to add/delete die faces on the fly.

But taking a step back from that, I can't really count much weight to a review that puts more importance on the tokens than the actual game mechanics and potential of the system.  That tells me that the poster just has drastically different priorities than me.

• Toqtamish, Yipe and Vlad3theImpaler like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I have zero idea why so many are making such a big deal out of a bag of tokens. Is it really that hard to reach in to a bag ?

I'm not sure what the problem is either.  When I first watched the Team Covenant Gencon video I thought it was a cool idea, and the FFG staffer played it up as something ominous and suspenseful - reaching your hand into the black void of time and space, whatever could happen!

Then again, I've met people who are very entrenched in their gaming ways.  I remember the uproar in the RPG community over FFG's Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game that used - shocking! - cards on the table as rules references instead of having to look things up in a book.  For many gamers this was a bridge too far.

I'll be running all the demos for AH LCG at my FLGS through October and November, and I bet if I don't mention anything negative about pulling from the "Chaos Bag" then no one will even given it a second thought.  It's everyone sitting around on the internet with nothing better to do and not much info to go on about this game who are picking pieces apart here and there.

I'm not saying the games is going to be good - I haven't played it yet, it could turn out to be a great-looking card game that's also boring and repetitive - but obsessing over a bag vs a cup vs dice just seems a little silly to me.  Oh well, I guess that's why there are so many different games for people to play!

• Toqtamish likes this

ErsatzNihilist

ErsatzNihilist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

There's been lots of others. It's very bizarre.

I find it a bit strange too - but then again I've always been a fan of component bags in games. What I really like about the idea is how much it could add thematically to specific encounters. Sadly, the players find themselves cursed or are being slowly devoured from within by an alien parasite - so we stick the "your life just got bad" token into the bag. Is the curse getting worse? Well, lets put another in then.

This does of course mean variance, and from what I can gather on this forum variance is a dirty word for some people, so perhaps that's it - but I think it suits the theme of a Mythos game because the whole fluff behind it is monstrous alien entities substituting our reality for theirs and nothing making any real sense. I mean, I like pure strategy games as much as anyone (my #1 board game at the moment is Food Chain Magnate), but in these sorts of games? Co-op games? If the board turns against you and you get screwed by luck, it's something to laugh about together and reset the table.

The other argument againist it is of course that you need one hand to roll and die, but two to manipulate a bag, which means you need to put your cards down. Again, it's co-op - hold the bag for your partner and vice versa - face the unknown horror of the token bag together.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

So many? This is the first complaint I have seen of that ilk.

Mostly on the FFG forums. Its like two per day on there.