Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where do you want to visit?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Dreamland and the Starkweather-Moore expedition to the Antarctic are probably my favorite settings from the Chaosium RPG.  Also it would really be cool to explore the Silver Twilight lodge.

• AceRimmer likes this

AceRimmer

AceRimmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Good ones, Philosmaster!

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

@Ironswimsuit Actually minis for each investigator already exists.  They are about 4 bucks each and were created for the Arkham Horror board game as a premium component upgrade to the cardboard standees.  You can buy em from FFG directly.  I believe all the spoiled investigators in the core already have a mini (Roland, Daisy, Agnes, Wendy, and Skids right?).  I think all the monsters in the board game have a mini as well, which could also be applied here if you wanted.  The great old one's have no plastic though :)  FFG certainly provide the means if you want to spend your life savings on gaming.  I don't know anyone who actually has all those products (or any of them to be honest) since combine it's like 600 bucks for everything.

• MightyToenail likes this

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Yuggoth!

This was one of my wishes for a CoC expansion: Extraterrestrial setting and focus, with lots of Mi-Go, Nyarlathotep, Yog-Sothoth, etc. Travel by astral projection, dream, and/or steampunked-out technology, not to mention brain cylinders.

Yes! Imagine a campaign where the investigators are among those transported to Yuggoth in brain cylinders, or on byakhee or whatever, and have to find their way back to Earth. They could fall into the Dreamlands or bounce through different eras on the way. Visit the City of the Elder Things when it was inhabited, or get swept up in the migration of the Yithians.

• Carthoris likes this

HappyDD

HappyDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

I never really read the books but have always wanted to. I'd like to see quests based around actual lovecraft stories be cool

You don't have to! http://hppodcraft.com/

We'll have minis created for each investigator and lieutenant packs created for the Old Ones. Each exciting product will include cards optimized for the investigator's faction, but they'll also feature powerful new options for each other faction. Collect them all! Lieutenant packs add straightforward, but ultimately superfluous options to give your campaign a twist!

I'm totally missing the reference with this line of jokes. Help me out.

• MightyToenail likes this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

I'm totally missing the reference with this line of jokes. Help me out.

Lieutenant packs exist for Descent and have something similar for Imperial Assault. In Descent, you buy a mini to replace the cardboard token of an antagonist included in an expansion. It comes with a set of cards for the Overlord/DM to use in campaigns that may also feature the antagonist. The cards don't add all that much and there are (in the opinion of many players) too many of them to ever reasonably be used.  But, pay 10-15 for a mini that could have been included in the expansion for less. ;) . X-wing ships come with upgrade cards, many of which work really well with ships other than the one purchased, and often with ships outside of faction. This wasn't so bad in the beginning. It's a great way to get people to buy all the ships to stay competitive. Yay marketing.

• HappyDD likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Actually minis for each investigator already exists.  They are about 4 bucks each and were created for the Arkham Horror board game as a premium component upgrade to the cardboard standees.  You can buy em from FFG directly.  I believe all the spoiled investigators in the core already have a mini (Roland, Daisy, Agnes, Wendy, and Skids right?).

So here's the thing...  if I was to entertain the idea of spending $4 each on 70+ investigator minis, I'd want that to be a complete collection.  So without a firm commitment that they will produce a similar mini for every future new Investigator until the end of the game, this feels like eventual disappointment.  You'd be spending a few hundred bucks and STILL not have a mini for every investigator someday.  (This is putting aside the fact that it's ALSO a ton to spend on upgrade bits to begin with.)

What strikes me as more feasible is just picking out a handful of representative investigator models and using those even if they aren't a 100% match.  Then you don't break the bank and you have a "close enough" model for each investigator in your party.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

You'd be spending a few hundred bucks and STILL not have a mini for every investigator someday.  (This is putting aside the fact that it's ALSO a ton to spend on upgrade bits to begin with.)

This would be my fear as well.  I'm a sucker for using pre-painted minis to spruce up my games, but without knowing if I'll have the right minis to use (for both investigators and monsters), I'd rather have none than a half-baked attempt at representation.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

So here's the thing...  if I was to entertain the idea of spending $4 each on 70+ investigator minis, I'd want that to be a complete collection.  So without a firm commitment that they will produce a similar mini for every future new Investigator until the end of the game, this feels like eventual disappointment.  You'd be spending a few hundred bucks and STILL not have a mini for every investigator someday.  (This is putting aside the fact that it's ALSO a ton to spend on upgrade bits to begin with.)

What strikes me as more feasible is just picking out a handful of representative investigator models and using those even if they aren't a 100% match.  Then you don't break the bank and you have a "close enough" model for each investigator in your party.

I think that is the smart way to go about it to be honest Dboeren.  I can't see actually buying all the investigator minis (as innocent as it sounds in the beignning), but many of the investigators have a similar look.  For example the Roland mini probably looks like 5 different investigators just based on his clothing.

I believe every investigator and monster in the Arkham Horror board game have a mini made.  Though since this is a new game it's possible they'll release stuff we haven't seen yet in Arkham Horror so the risk is there that you might not be able to get a complete set. 

That said as nice as the minis are I've played Arkham Horror the board game for years and the cardboard standees have been just fine.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Yeah, I haven't spent the time to go through them all yet, but I think a reasonable list will include something like:

Professor looking guy

Tough looking guy

Guy in suit & hat

Magician looking guy

Bookish girl

Elegant looking girl

etc...

• phillosmaster likes this

Hector

Hector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

FFG certainly provide the means if you want to spend your life savings on gaming.  I don't know anyone who actually has all those products (or any of them to be honest) since combine it's like 600 bucks for everything.

I thought you were exaggerating. Then I went on the FFG site to have a look. Sorry to have doubt you. :mellow:

• MightyToenail and phillosmaster like this