Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thinking through card choices

Deck building

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FightingWalloon

FightingWalloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts

Imagine you are building a Shadowsun deck. You are comparing the following two cards to decide which to include in the deck at 2x (all the space you have left):

med_WHK01_160.jpg

med_WHK16_13.jpg

What are some of the thoughts you have as you decide which one makes the most sense to include in your deck? Yes, I know this depends  on the rest of the deck. Tell us about that, too.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Furious Wraithblade. End of story.

I guess if you are command-light go with Kais'vre, (or if you ally with SM), but otherwise Wraith.

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Fireblade.

PROS:

-Immune to Terror

-Good command

-Provides extra resilience

-Can trigger No Mercy

CONS:

-Unique

-Slightly underwhelming stats.

Wraithblade

PROS:

-Very threatening on its own.

-Discountable thanks to Enclave and Bonesingers.

-Great synergy with attachments and other cards (thanks to Drone trait).

CONS:

-No command

I would pick the Wraithblade in most cases. Shadowsun wants to commit where you already have units, so the only weaknesses it has is compensated since the warlord should win the command struggle there.

Unless you're playing in a meta completely dominated by DE, I wouldn't pick the Fireblade.

Or you can simply go one of each and avoid thinking :P

• Grimbo and Skyknight like this

SmoothCriminal15

SmoothCriminal15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
I think that the question is really too vague to answer. What is the deck trying to do? I'm assuming Eldar allies are already a must.

Does the deck need more hitting power? Does it need more good options to put attachments on? If so, the Wraithblade is the obvious choice. It churns out some great damage, particularly with Stealth Cadre or Aux Armor.

Does the deck need command or protection for a specific reason? I could see those being the possible needs of some elite decks. Say you're running Shadowsun Elites and your Wraithblade will be the target for all rout abilities, then I could see the command hammers, unique status, and ability to protect your elites to be a huge boon.

That said, it's really hard to find a situation where the Fireblade is a better slot than the Wraithblade, as those things are crazy good out of Shadowsun.

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Fireblade hasn't been played much anyway, and for Shadowuns i would prefer the Pathfinder.

The drone has amazing capabilites with Shadowsun.

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Are you running Aux Armour? If yes, Wraithblade wins easily.

If not, why not?

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Fireblade.

PROS:

-Immune to Terror

-Good command

-Provides extra resilience

-Can trigger No Mercy

CONS:

-Unique

-Slightly underwhelming stats.

Wraithblade

PROS:

-Very threatening on its own.

-Discountable thanks to Enclave and Bonesingers.

-Great synergy with attachments and other cards (thanks to Drone trait).

CONS:

-No command

I would pick the Wraithblade in most cases. Shadowsun wants to commit where you already have units, so the only weaknesses it has is compensated since the warlord should win the command struggle there.

Unless you're playing in a meta completely dominated by DE, I wouldn't pick the Fireblade.

Or you can simply go one of each and avoid thinking :P

Concur with this post, especially the bolded part.

For a while I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness, pointing out that Black Guardians was actually really good for Shadowsun, because of its high HP base giving somewhere to safely put attack enhancements, and the nature of Shadowsun's game mitigating its command weakness. I don't use Black Guardians any more, because Wraithblade gives so much more bang for its buck.

The only caveat here, and worth adding to the CONS list above, is that Wraithblade strongly telegraphs your commitment to that planet. You can play clever feinting games by putting it to planet 1 and then sending Shadowsun elsewhere, but doing so "reactivates" its command weakness and is a high risk game.

Also, from a strategic point of view, I'd say Wraithblade and For The Tau'va really are best buddies.

You'll often find that you get a planet given to you by a Wraithblade to planet 1, and then the opponent feels a bit safer because it is coming in exhausted. Messing up that calculation is very, very powerful.

Incidentally, I find it very odd to be comparing Fireblade to Wraithblade. A much more sensible question is Shi Or'es vs Wraithblade, as they are far more comparable in function.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deck building