Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mythos Busters Podcast

podcast

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

And that's why there's room for multiple podcasts on the same game :)

It's true that a good quality blog can deliver strategy content faster than a podcast.  It's pretty hard to find a good strategy blog though, a lot of people feel it's easier to talk off the top of their heads than to have to edit and organize their thoughts into a more structured format.

In fact, I'd often prefer a good blog article when I can find them.

The other factor is how you consume it.  Podcasts take more time, but all time is not equal.  I can listen to a podcast while I'm driving, or walking, etc...   Not so much a blog.  Yeah, I'm sure there's some text-to-speech thing so I can *technically* do it, but it's not convenient.  20 minutes of podcast on the way home from dropping the kid off at school in the morning is pretty effortless and makes good use out of otherwise unproductive time for me.

• HappyDD, Carthoris, gramyotron and 1 other like this

HappyDD

HappyDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

"I'm with HappyDD" will be a rallying cry for cool card players everywhere! SPEAKING of multiple podcasts, I believe in Elder Things. I believe.

I never understood podcasts until my commute to work changed to about 1 hour of public transit each way. That's ultra-low quality time, and podcasts really take the edge off. 

• phillosmaster likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Yeah, I never used to listen to podcasts until I starting walking for exercise.  At home I can already leverage my time better than listening to audio.  Oh, and I typically listen at 1.25x speed too.

• HappyDD and phillosmaster like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I listen to them in the van while driving, while walking on my lunch break and even at home when moving wood or mowing the lawn. I will also put them on my bluetooth speaker while I am cleaning the house and stuff. 

HappyDD

HappyDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Oh, and I typically listen at 1.25x speed too.

That is a pro-move. Get those facts 25% faster.

• dboeren and Carthoris like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Very tempted to start a new podcast. Been thinking about it since this was announced. 

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

You should give it a shot Toqamish.  It would be cool to have several podcasts ready to cover the game's content on release.

I didn't start listening to podcasts until my job required me to travel heavily.  It certainly makes long car and airport security lines easier.  It doesn't demand as much of my attention like an audio book would. Therefore I can still respond to things going on around me reasonably well.   Also they were a life saver when I started having kids.  Rocking a baby back to sleep in the middle of the night is much easier when you have a backlog of podcasts to catch up on.

Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I fully support anyone else who wants to do a 'cast. As an avid podcast listener, I wouldn't mind listening to a voice about the game that's not my own.  :D

• OKTarg likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

But then comes the hardest part of any podcast. Picking a name.  :P

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
"Bag of Chaos"?

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

"Bag of Chaos"?

"Chaos" is the root of the English word gas, so that title would have the funny double meaning of "gasbag"!

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Lol well I did like Chaos Bag but maybe not lol.

Seriously though I was looking at names like Arkham Madness, Health & Sanity or something along those lines. But I also want to do a cast for Runewars (Runecast) and L5R next year. Hard to say I can find time or cash for all of those podcasts as hosting isn't free sadly.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Hard to say I can find time or cash for all of those podcasts as hosting isn't free sadly.

There are some free options that come with caveats. For instance, I hosted a proof of concept podcast on archive.org, where you can upload just about anything. The trade-off is that doing so makes the content open source. Add in a free WordPress.com or Blogger blog and FeedBurner's podcast enclosure feature -- a second caveat being that FeedBurner isn't being updated anymore and its continued existence is at Google's whim -- and you've got a podcatcher-ready RSS feed.

Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Episode 2 is up for your listening pleasure! It's a long one, but we had a ton of fun digging into how the game works!

https://mythosbuster...ssippi-manatee/

• blinovitch and phillosmaster like this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

There is much more concrete info now about the game.  Should make for a good discussion.  Downloading now.  Need to listen to some more positive news in the LCG world considering the news we got about Conquest this morning was pretty depressing.

Your comments on PACG pretty much mirror my experience. 

Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

There is much more concrete info now about the game.  Should make for a good discussion.  Downloading now.  Need to listen to some more positive news in the LCG world considering the news we got about Conquest this morning was pretty depressing.

Your comments on PACG pretty much mirror my experience. 

Condolences. Yeah, it feels a bit weird to feel so happy about this upcoming game when I know people who were deeply invested in Conquest and are somewhat in mourning at the moment. The cycle of LCG's I suppose though Conquest was ended before its time.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Thanks.  I think everyone paying attention to the forums kind of expected this news.  The signs have been there for a long time that FFG and GW were gonna quit doing business with each other.  So that softened the blow a bit.

That's the nice thing about this being a Lovecraft themed game.  No company to company politics to worry about :)

forger

forger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

keep up the good work. lovin the content

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Looking forward to listening to this. The hardest part of podcasting was editing, since I was the only one doing it for conqast, and I was/am a total newbie to it. It became increasingly difficult to get it done with my change of job. 

Anywho, if I was to make a podcast for this game it would be called "Is that Cthulhu's tentacle in your pocket or are you just Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Fm'latgh, geb ep bug n'ghft ehyeyar."

Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Episode 3 is now available. Enjoy!

https://mythosbuster...ll-it-to-dewey/

• MagnusArcanis and phillosmaster like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: podcast