Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Play as the expansions come out or wait?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: When to play expansions (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you rather wait for a campaign to be complete or play the scenarios as they are released?

1. Wait for the entire campaign and binge play the whole thing! (4 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Why wait!? Play them as soon as you get them! (48 votes [92.31%])

Percentage of vote: 92.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

So, I was thinking about it after reading the article for Dunwich Legacy.

Would I rather play each part of the campaign as it comes out, or wait for all of it to come out and then play through it?  I can see merits to both methods... playing as soon as you have a scenario allows you to play each one a lot earlier.  However, there will likely be month long gaps between each pack.  Would you really want to wait a month before seeing what happens next?  By the time you finally play the final mission (likely 6-7 months after starting) will you even remember what happened in the first scenario?  So, I figured I would make a poll and give everyone a thread to discuss the merits of both methods.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Would you really want to wait a month before seeing what happens next?  By the time you finally play the final mission (likely 6-7 months after starting) will you even remember what happened in the first scenario?  So, I figured I would make a poll and give everyone a thread to discuss the merits of both methods.

The folks I see myself playing this with typically get together about once every month or two anyway, since we're scattered all over the local region. Having the push of a couple new packs to play through would get us together more frequently, so I'm for playing as they publish, rather than waiting.

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Play as they publish, then run through again in one run.

• Kaic, Carthoris, PaxCecilia and 1 other like this

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I do it with Lord of the Rings - I buy each pack as soon as it comes out, but then I store it somewhere and when the cycle is finally complete, then I play all adventures in a row. I think that with AH it will be the same...

ioticus

ioticus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Play as they come out, for you may die or go mad tomorrow!
  • MightyToenail and WhatTheDice like this

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
I think for me it will depend on how often my group is able to get together.

Also, I might have to change my buying habits.

Usually, I wait until I have enough stuff that I want from coolstuff or a similar site to get free shipping, then buy a couple games at once.

If I want to play each scenario as it releases, I'm going to have to reconsider that method.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I'd be willing to wait a little while to play the campaign through, but not six months.

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I will be buying first Cycle as it releases, day one each pack. Then I think I will be waiting for 2/3 Mythos Packs before making an order. I hope FFG will not heave monthly evaluation of AH because my approach might be analyzed as low interest in the game and I would not like that.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

To wait would be insane.   Have the monthly packs been announced? Surely, this won't be a deluxe only game (though I'd be cool with larger influxes of cards to any LCG)

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

To wait would be insane.   Have the monthly packs been announced? Surely, this won't be a deluxe only game (though I'd be cool with larger influxes of cards to any LCG)

There are going to be monthly packs

• Ironswimsuit likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

LCG expansions have been running like clockwork ever since the merger with Asmodee.  I don't see any reason to wait.  Advancing the current campaign one a month sounds okay with me.  If I need to play this game more frequently I can always run a new investigator against one of the older complete campaigns (like the coreset campaign which is self contained).

• Carthoris likes this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

LCG expansions have been running like clockwork ever since the merger with Asmodee.  I don't see any reason to wait.  Advancing the current campaign one a month sounds okay with me.  If I need to play this game more frequently I can always run a new investigator against one of the older complete campaigns (like the coreset campaign which is self contained).

Or you can run jank.

• MightyToenail and phillosmaster like this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Also true :)

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Only as clarification... Arkham Horror won´t be my "first" or main game - I will still play AGoT on regular basis and from time to time I will take Lord of the Rings or now Arkham, so the waiting won´t be as bad for me. And since beginning I won´t wait with playing for full cycle, I will be curious as anyone else. But with later cycles I supposse that I will wait for all expansions for campaign, it works with LotR perfectly for me (f.e. in LotR the player cards are designed with full cycle in mind so the players deck are "incomplete" in the beginning anyway...)

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Depends on the mood.

I have a hunch that it may be better to enjoy the scenarios all at once so you have all the cards intended for the full adventure and you don’t have to worry about what your results were/contents of your deck.

That being said, that’s a long day. 9ish quests is a full day of just Arkham. Most people aren’t going to have that kind of fortitude, much less the patience to wait 6-7 + months for the campaign to complete.

Which leads to playing them upon release to be the more realistic option for most groups. Or to be more exact, not purposefully waiting for the cycle to end before playing. Honestly, dedicating a time slot to Arkham Horror to roughly once a month is pretty easy for groups to slip in. If your savvy about it, and limit yourself to just 1 quest a month that will likely even cover your time in-between cycles.

This has been a recent phenomena for our group in regards to Lord of the Rings. We got into it super late so months on end, we rarely did a completed quest more than once and were able to complete cycles with almost no breaks inbetween. Now that we’re caught up, speaking for myself, I find myself almost preferring to not play it until the cycle completes as I too often forget what had previously happened in our adventures. Which is why my hunch is what it is, but I also yield to the desire to simply play the game almost every time.

So, really.. I guess what I’m trying to say is that everyone will/should experience the game at their own desired pace and don’t worry about what others are doing.

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

My plan is to play as i pick up the packs. But at the same time, I might not be picking up the packs as soon as they come out, due to money issues more than anything.

I will most likely be playing solo most of the time. Planning to play with different characters, so I see each campaign being played more than once, to try different characters and different choices.

PaxCecilia

PaxCecilia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Sort of depends on the release structure I suppose. I'll probably use the player cards immediately upon release, but hold off on scenarios/campaign play until I can play it start to finish.

• Kaic likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I dunno.. in LoTR there was a completely different vibe in the game playing pack for pack. I'm not saying AHlcg will be the same, but a Ai run game vs a humans deck building was no match at all. So as the card pool grew the older quests lost their bite... in fact the experience of playing pack for pack and in order was so strong that an unofficial "limited" format for LoTR came out where you culled your card pool to match the release schedule. I in fact ONLY play LoTR like this myself, but my restricted list is based on entire cycles not individual packs.

TL,DR : Day zero buy.. end of story : P (for me at least)

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I dunno.. in LoTR there was a completely different vibe in the game playing pack for pack. I'm not saying AHlcg will be the same, but a Ai run game vs a humans deck building was no match at all. So as the card pool grew the older quests lost their bite... in fact the experience of playing pack for pack and in order was so strong that an unofficial "limited" format for LoTR came out where you culled your card pool to match the release schedule. I in fact ONLY play LoTR like this myself, but my restricted list is based on entire cycles not individual packs.

TL,DR : Day zero buy.. end of story : P (for me at least)

What makes up the restricted list? Is it the core set and then anything from the cycle in question? Just the cycle or something else?

I'm interested to hear more.

Thanks.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Well, some people play it so you can only use the player cards that where available when the pack came out... but I like to use the idea of the "cycle".

Example...

• Core
    • Shadows of Mirkwood
      • The Hunt for Gollum
      • Conflict at the Carrock
      • A Journey to Rhosgobel
      • The Hills of Emyn Muil
      • The Dead Marshes
      • Return to Mirkwood
  • The Massing at Osgiliath
  • Khazad-dum
    • Dwarrowdelf
      • The Redhorn Gate
      • Road to Rivendell
      • The Watcher in the Water
      • The Long Dark
      • Foundations of Stone
      • Shadow and Flame
  • The Battle of Lake-Town
  • The Hobbit (Saga)
    • Over Hill and Under Hill
    • On the Doorstep

This is the release order for the first 2 cycles.

So one version of restricted would mean if you played "The Watcher in the Water" you ONLY use player cards from that pack through to Core.

The other version of restricted (the one I play) is cycle based. You measure Cycles from the Deluxe Expansion to the Saga Expansion. With the case of the Hobbit I count that as "1" saga box. So in this version if you played "The Watcher in the Water" you would have access to all player cards from "On the Doorstep" back to core.

Basically LoTR follows that format for most of the releases. Deluxe, 6 Packs, PoDQuest, Saga... this makes "1 Cycle". There are some hickups in this but the format still works, just split one Saga box and PoD Quest into each Deluxe, 6 packs.

The 1st format method I call "Limited" and the 2nd I call "Restricted".

I prefer Restricted as often a cycle of player cards all share keywords and synergistic abilities. So splitting it up like that makes sense to me. BUT if you want to have the experience that players got as the packs were released, then you need to play Limited.

• DarthMonkey likes this