Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Diffrence between Deluxe expansion and Saga

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

migelpig

migelpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Hello,

I'm thinking about restarting with Lotr but i'm wondering what the diffrence is between a deluxe expansion and a saga expansion.

Reckoner

Reckoner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Saga expansions follow the story told in the novels by Tolkien. This allows you to play through the experiences in the novels, for example in the newest Saga box you must fight the Battle of Pelennor Fields. To this point the Saga story is told with only Saga boxes and no small adventure packs.

Deluxe expansions tell all new stories set in the world of the Lord of the Rings. Deluxe expansions begin new cycles and are then followed by 6 adventure packs that use cards from the associated deluxe box.

Both Saga and Deluxe boxes contain 3 quests each.

metlfan

metlfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Which would be a better beginning for someone who is interested in getting into the game, saga or deluxe?

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Another difference is the LotR Saga contains a Campaign Mode, if that interests you. (The Hobbit does too, but only in a very loose sense of carrying over some treasures and Bilbo). Theoretically the Sagas also work without a wider card pool and there's even sample thematic decklists in the rules inserts using just the Sagas and the Core Sets. However, I haven't played them in this way so I can't really comment on how difficult they become if you approach them in this manner.

As for which to go for, it's really personal preference. The below link hasn't been updated recently, but might give you a bit of an idea as to what themes or mechanics you'd be getting with different purchases.

https://talesfromthe...r-buying-guide/

If you get a Deluxe or two you generally want to get the accompanying Cycle(s) since the cards work together for deck-building and story purposes. In that case, the old ones work better for starting out in the game, but the designers have learnt a lot over the years and generally the recent cycles contain some really nice quests and mechanics. Each one tends to favour a certain race/mechanic on the Fellowship side and, in the later ones, a particular mechanic in the encounter deck as well, so you could just pick one that you like from that perspective.