Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need multiple Core Sets?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I am sorry for you guys.  It's a much easier world when you don't care about those sorts of things so much.

• Toqtamish and Ironswimsuit like this

Friman

Friman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

I am sorry for you guys. It's a much easier world when you don't care about those sorts of things so much.

It is, sadly. OCD is never easy to live with, but I try to cope with it. Maybe print and play Arkham Horror and not spending a penny on it is a good start? I mean, where do you draw the line between proxying 12 cards, proxying 30 or proxying 156? When does it begin to become non ethical? Assuming there's a point where it does, of course...

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

ethical?  I can see this as a difficult hurdle for someone suffering from OCD.  I do totally sympathize.  I wasn't being sarcastic. But ethical I would argue?  No one cares if at home with friends I write Unexpected Courage on a card and the stuff it in a sleeve with an ace of spades behind it because we didn't want to pay $30-$40 for another LOTR core set.

Add: I would argue if you took the time to create all the components for AH yourself then no one is going to care if you play it at home with your friends.  That took a tremendous amount of effort and most people would much rather just pay the money to save them the time and effort.  So that's where I stand on that.  In a competitive tournament setting it matters that you play with official components because you have to consider the opponents ability to read a board state (because otherwise you might be manufacturing an unfair advantage), but in a co op that's not a concern.  You'll be freely sharing information with each other throughout the game.

Friman

Friman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
Yeah, I wasn't trying to antagonize either. It just doesn't feel right for me, I'm glad it works for you. FFG clearly intends to sell a third core with its distribution, and I feel forced to buy it, that was my point
It could be avoided thanks to a better distribution of card types, but as someone said, FFG is trying to make profits thanks to people like me, it's actually my fault.

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

The ol "let me complete my play set with a separate product" suggestion... haven't seen that one for a while.

It's not entirely unreasonable.  Mage Wars did that with their spellbook packs to provide extra copies of cards that weren't given full playsets in the core game.

I'm not sure if those are still in print or not, though, since they have revised the card counts in the core set since then.

nguyentrongvan

nguyentrongvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Well. Thank you guys :)

Card games

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

It's not entirely unreasonable.  Mage Wars did that with their spellbook packs to provide extra copies of cards that weren't given full playsets in the core game.

I'm not sure if those are still in print or not, though, since they have revised the card counts in the core set since then.

Parts of the community, myself included(way back when), have been talking about the play set finishing add on for LCGs since the release of Warhammer: Invasion at least. This was when the monthly packs were 40 cards; 10 cards 3x and 10 cards 1x. Packs were also $10.00 at the time. FFG listened and made the 60 card packs we know and love today.  The Mage Wars packs were nice, but that still left a player with a similar investment, especially if including the extra tokens and binders.  If that game weren't a cluttered mess, I'd still own my copy. The only LCG this idea isn't unreasonable for is LotR(as AH isn't out yet).  Netrunner is on the bubble and a good number of the remaining cards were sub-optimal, IIRC. Every other game, were it to offer play set completions, would leave the player with a similar cost and arguably less value than just buying cores with the way cores are currently packaged.

• phillosmaster likes this

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
How is Mage Wars a "cluttered mess?"

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

I should clarify. If the board weren't a cluttered mess, I'd still own my copy. It wants to be a minis game with cards that would have been better and cleaner as a minis game, IMO. Too many tokens and too many cards moving around on the board. I might try the card only version, but I'd need more info about it.

DragonCat

DragonCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

The biggest **** you about buying more than one box is trying to complete your set. Not only it is expensive and the player feels ripped off it also means that if you come to the game late and want to buy it when it is out of print or something then you not only have to track down a copy of the rare box you have to track down many copies. The entire thing is just BS. Anyone that has tried to complete W:I or CoC Dreamlands cna back me up on this.

MitchG

MitchG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

So just to be clear. In the other thread on here you complained about LOTR expanding too slowly for player cards. In this thread you complain about multiple core sets.  

That's basically my whole post.

• Vlad3theImpaler likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

The only product you buy more than one of is the Core, which remains in print for the entire life of the game, you can't miss it by coming in later in the lifecycle.

• Vlad3theImpaler and MightyToenail like this

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

The biggest **** you about buying more than one box is trying to complete your set. Not only it is expensive and the player feels ripped off it also means that if you come to the game late and want to buy it when it is out of print or something then you not only have to track down a copy of the rare box you have to track down many copies. The entire thing is just BS. Anyone that has tried to complete W:I or CoC Dreamlands cna back me up on this.

Some players feel ripped off. Not all. Personally, I try to know enough about games before purchasing them that I can make an informed decision. That way I don't feel ripped off. If I think a game would make me feel that way, I don't buy it.
  • Friman, Hector21 and phillosmaster like this

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Some players feel ripped off. Not all. Personally, I try to know enough about games before purchasing them that I can make an informed decision. That way I don't feel ripped off. If I think a game would make me feel that way, I don't buy it.

I am fine with it as well. I just hope there is a way to utilize all the extra encounter cards.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts
Unlikely. I do like to have spares though.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

For 4 player LOTR you did need more than one core set worth of tokens to account for all the players (and obviously the extra threat dials were used).  The first player token was wasted though.  Therefore in that core there was little waste as far as cardboard.

For this game though I wonder.  There will probably be more redundant cardboard.  The chaos bag probably won't scale based on the number of players right?

Even still it's nice to have spares in case you lose a token or a cat eats one etc.

stahlwolle

stahlwolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I am fine with it as well. I just hope there is a way to utilize all the extra encounter cards.

If the encounter sets are smaller and not fixed together as a larger set, it is possible to see the rat pack ;) in the upcoming Dunwich Legacy campaign, or other parts of the encounter sets.

The LotR encounter sets are more fixed by theme and threat and to include it elsewhere might seem odd. Also there are encounter sets that really were only used in the core set, not even in the first cycle

• WackoError likes this

andrewaa

andrewaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

My input on this is that yes, requiring us to buy additional cores is gouging the player base.

It honestly doesn't matter if the value/$ is good for the 2nd or 3rd cores, it is a matter that as the publisher they could release a "Deck Builder Companion" that only has the cards needed to make full playsets of each card name. The fact that we are paying for wasted content is the insult, when they could very well just make a modified product to sell to the market of players who first purchased the core set to try it and now want to experiment with adjusting the deck around with cards they understand. 

If you do the math, taking AGOT2e as example, the "Deck Builder Companion" is simply additional two cores. Yes it contains wasted things inside. But how much do you want them to charge? Two cores are cheaper than a set with missing cards with a price same to cards from packs/boxes.

In addition, things depends on situations. If you play with your friends and you support everything, 3 cores can make 4 above-average decks with no proxy. 1 core+companion cannot.

ChaoticRainbow

ChaoticRainbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Out of curiosity, how was anyone supposed to tell that was a joke?

I couldn't tell. 

• Toqtamish likes this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

So just to be clear. In the other thread on here you complained about LOTR expanding too slowly for player cards. In this thread you complain about multiple core sets.  

That's basically my whole post.

I have never complained about Lotr moving too slowly. I actually rather like the slower pace. It allows one to truly explore their collection. I would prefer if all LCGs used a bit slower system, like Ashes does (though due to stupid asmodee, there is going to be like a three month delay added onto the already three month schedule, so yeah, pissed with asmodee right now about how they are handling Ashes.)