Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Frequently asked Questions- Check here first please

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
Q: How many core sets do I need ?

A: Two core sets provides you with a complete play set of all player cards.
  • ultimate26, deathmaydie, MightyToenail and 1 other like this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Official answers from Matthew Newman, one of the two lead designers of Arkham Horror LCG:

- If I combo this with Deduction or Vicious Blow, do I get 3 or 4 clues / damage? Do I double only the basic result, then add modifiers, or add first then double? Or do I choose any way I like it, in accordance with the last parahraph of ST.7 "Apply skill test results"?
- If I combo this with Blinding Light and reveal a special chaos token, do I lose two actions? Or maybe I don't double that part of the effect because it's not an "effect of the successful test”?

Double or Nothing says you “resolve the effects of the successful test twice.” Whatever effects that would resolve based on the test being successful, those are resolved twice. That means anything that adds to the effects (like Vicious Blow or Deduction) or replaces the effects (like Burglary) will resolve twice. Effects that are responses to a successful test (like Scavenging, for example) won’t be resolved twice, though.

As for Blinding Light, you’d still only lose one action, because it's not an effect of the successful test; it’s an independent effect not tied to whether you succeed or fail.

- If I combo this with Burglary, do I still get a clue? Does the word "Additional" mean "in addition to other clues you discover", or "in addition to other effects"?
- Would any "after you discover a clue" reactions trigger twice? i.e. do I discover 1 clue for the basic Investigate action plus 1 clue for Deduction (as separate occurences), or does the word "additional" modify the original amount? There were some problems with that word in Netrunner, they had to issue errata and add a corresponding entry to the FAQ.

Burglary says “instead of discovering clues,” so regardless of how many additional clues you would discover, you will instead replace that effect with the gaining of 3 resources.

As for your other question, the “After you discover a clue” reaction would trigger each time you discovered a clue, so if you had a reaction like that and discovered 2 clues, it would trigger twice. Otherwise we’d want to write something like “After you discover 1 or more clues.”

If it said "1 or more" then no. Because deduction lets you discover 2 clues (instead of 1, essentially).

- Do I resolve the encounter card before or after I gain 2 clues? The entry for the word "Then" is not 100% clear, it addresses a situation where I have another card with a reaction to drawing an encounter card, but I'm not sure if Resolution, Forced, and Surge on the drawn encounter card would be considered as direct or indirect consequences (I assume indirect, but though it's still worth asking).

Generally you should resolve effects in the order listed on the card. This is especially true if it uses the word “then”, since everything before the word “then” must successfully resolve in order for anything after the word “then” to resolve. So in this case, you have to draw the encounter card (and thus resolve all of its effects of drawing the encounter card, including all keywords) before you can discover the 2 clues. 

Note: This also means if you used a card effect to cancel the encounter card drawn, you also wouldn’t discover the clues. After all, you have to put yourself in harm’s way to discover the truth… ;D

4) Investigator-specific cards
- Can I include a second copy as part of my standard 30 cards deck? It's basically a normal neutral card, the only restriction being which investigator can include it in a deck. I didn't find any rule that would explicitly prohibit this.

You cannot. It’s not technically a normal neutral card, since it has no level. Roland, for example, can include level 0-5 neutral cards, but cards with no level at all can only be included if something explicitly allows you to (in this case, the Deckbuilding Requirements section of his card). Same goes for scenario specific story-assets; if you earn a specific asset thanks to a particular scenario resolution, you can’t include a second copy of that asset by purchasing another copy of that expansion.

(Note: the templating of investigator-specific cards printed in the core set is actually identical to that of normal level 0 neutral cards, i.e. the area for xp pips is still present under the cost. This will be fixed in future printings of the core set to to use the same templating as story assets.)

5) Costs
= "When exhausting, sacrificing, or otherwise using cards to pay costs, only cards that are in play and under their owner’s control may be used, unless the cost specifies an out-of-play state."
- I read this as stating that I cannot use cards that I control but do not own to pay costs. That would make the card Teamwork much less useful…

For now, in the core set, there is no way for a card to change control - when a card (like Teamwork) is released that allows you to do this, we will address this RR entry.

6) Hunter
- Situation: an enemy with Hunter and Prey is in the Hallway. One investigator is in the Cellar, the other one is in the Attic. The one in the Cellar best meets the enemy's prey instructions, but he Barricaded the Cellar. Does the enemy sit in the Hallway, or does it move to the Attic?

The investigator in the Cellar is the enemy’s Prey, so it must select that investigator (Prey, pg 17, bullet 2). Even though it cannot move into the Cellar, that investigator still qualifies as “nearest” (pg 16), and still counts as the enemy’s Prey. So in this case, the enemy pounds its limbs fruitlessly against the Barricade in a vicious attempt to get at its Prey, ignoring or unaware of the investigator in the Attic. =)

7) Aloof
= Learn to Play: "An investigator cannot attack an aloof enemy unless he or she is engaged with it."
= Rules Reference: "An investigator cannot attack an aloof enemy while that enemy is not engaged with an investigator."
- Can an investigator attack an aloof enemy that is engaged with another investigator?

In this case, the language of the Rules Reference takes precedent. Yes, you may attack an aloof enemy engaged with another investigator.

= "Non-Elite enemies cannot move into attached location."
= "Each enemy in an investigator’s threat area is considered to be at the same location as that investigator, and should the investigator move, the enemy remains engaged and moves to the new location simultaneously with the investigator."
- If an investigator engaged with an enemy moves into a Barricaded location, does the enemy disengage and stay behind?

Correct! This is an area where the Golden Rule kicks in and the card text on Barricade overrides the normal game rule. Typically the enemy would stay in your threat area (and thus move with you), but since Barricade blocks the enemy’s movement, it would have to stay in the previous location, and thus must also disengage from you.

• alpha5099, Hector21 and AndyB like this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

9) Sure Gamble works with special tokens that reference the scenario card.

10) Stubborn Detective blanks each investigator's text box in the same location, not only the bearer's.

11) When one player commits a skill card to another player's test, if that skill card adds an extra effect on top of the skill test's normal effect (e.g. "draw 1 card" on Guts, "heal 1 horror" on Fearless), then the player who committed the card resolves that effect. If the skill card modifies the normal effect of the skill test (e.g. "deal +1 damage" on Vicious Blow, "discover 1 additional clue" on Deduction), then the player who performed the skill test resolves it.

12) Elusive can move you anywhere on the board, not only to connecting locations.

13) The Barrier vs. They’re Getting Out!: "When the round ends" triggers before "At the end of the round".

14) If a story asset (e.g. Lita Chantler or Lady Esprit) leaves play while not being a part of the player's deck (not controlled, or under temporary control), it gets removed from the game.

(Confirmed by Matt Newman)

• alpha5099 likes this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

"After" reactions to a pre-Then effect:

Hello Matt!

A question about the entry for the word "Then"

- The post-then aspect of an effect has timing priority over all other indirect consequences of the resolution of the pre-then aspect. (For example, if an effect reads: “Draw an encounter card. Then, take 1 horror,” and a player controls an ability that reads “After you draw an encounter card,” the post-then “take 1 horror” aspect occurs before the “After you draw an encounter card” ability may initiate.)

Does this entry say that any reactions to anything that happens when you draw that encounter card have to resolve after you take 1 horror?

For example
(bear with me, it's a complex one)

In a 2 player game:
- I play Delve Too Deep
- draw a treachery
- play Ward of Protection to cancel its Revelation effect
- take 1 horror from Ward
---> can I use Heirloom of Hyperborea to draw a card now?
- draw another treachery - Rotting Remains
- test Willpower and fail
---> can you use Rabbit's Foot now?
- take 1 horror
---> can you use Agnes'ability now?
- finally, I add Delve Too Deep to the victory display.

If nested triggers work here the same way as in Thrones, then I should be able to use all those "After" reactions where marked with "--->"

Or, would all three "After" reactions share the same timing window after the sequence is complete and I add Delve Too Deep to the victory display?

Which interpretation is correct?

Basically, I'm reading the entry for "Then" as this:
- If you have an "After" reaction or fast action for which the triggering condition is the resolution of the pre-Then effect, then resolve the post-Then effect before initiating this After reaction or fast action.
- But if the triggering condition is something specific that happens inside the resolution of the pre-Then effect (e.g. you fail a test for a treachery drawn wiith Delve Too Deep), then you need to use that ability immediately as its triggering condition occurs.

However, some players argue that you cannot play any "After" reactions or fast actions until after you resolve Delve Too Deep fully and add it to the victory display.

Thanks Matt! :)

Greetings!

This is a somewhat complex interaction, so I’ll take it step by step.

Delve Too Deep says “In player order, each investigator draws 1 card from the top of the encounter deck. Then, add Delve Too Deep to the victory display.” In this case, adding Delve Too Deep has timing priority over any indirect consequences of the resolution of “each investigator draws 1 card from the top of the encounter deck.” When we say indirect consequences, we generally mean responses and forced effects that happen ‘After’ the trigger. So for example:

– We are playing together. You play Delve Too Deep. Thanks a lot >=O
– You draw a treachery. You play Ward of Protection. This is fine because it’s a ‘when’ effect and it’s interrupting the normal timing structure.
– You take 1 horror from Ward. You may react to the taking of 1 horror or the playing of Ward of Protection because you’re not reacting to “each player draws 1 encounter card,” you’re reacting to something else nested within that effect.
– I draw a treachery. It’s Rotting Remains! (oh no!)
– I test Willpower and fail. I may trigger Rabbit’s Foot because (once again) I’m not reacting to the drawing of an encounter card, I’m reacting to the test failing.
– I take 1 horror. I may use Agnes’s ability (same reasoning).
– Finally, we add Delve Too Deep to the victory display. NOW we can trigger any effects that say “After drawing an encounter card” or something similar to that.

Hope that helps. The important thing to remember is that the entry for “then” where it talks about timing priority is just talking about the text of the pre-then aspect and the text of the post-then aspect (in this case, "each player draws 1 encounter card" / "add to victory display”).

Enjoy!

• CastorJo and MightyToenail like this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

1) "Wolf-Man" Drew attacks, his Forced ability resolves immediately, and only after that I can play Dodge to cancel his attack, correct?

Normally, for Forced effects and other abilities referencing the same timing point, Forced effects would trigger first. So generally you’re right. But in this case, since Dodge cancels the attack, it interrupts the initiation of the effect (See “Cancel”, RR pg 6). So in this case Dodge would cancel the attack from ever happening and thus prevent the Forced effect from triggering at all.

2) I am engaged with a Yithian Observer, I pay 5 resources to play a Shotgun, the Yithian immediately makes an attack of opportunity (after costs are paid but before effects resolve) and forces me to discard a card from hand at random. Is Shotgun still in my hand, or in play? If it is in hand and I discard it, do I end up paying 5 resources and spending a click and not gaining anything?

It sounds like that’s exactly what would happen - - if you look at the Initiation Sequence on page 22 of the RR, attacks of opportunity occur between steps 2 and 3. Since the card does not start being played until step 3, it’s still in your hand at the time the attack of opportunity occurs. If you’re unlucky enough to have the card you’re playing discarded as part of that attack, then you wouldn’t be able to play it, but you’d have already paid the costs. So… yeah. That’s bad.

3) Not clear on the timing of "Objective - " triggers. Do they have the same timing as "Forced" abilities? i.e. before any player reactions or Fast actions?

It kind of depends on the Objective. Some objectives are restrictions on when you can advance, while others demand you advance as soon as a particular condition is met. The latter ones should be treated as Forced effects, but the timing “If” allows you to trigger reactions first. Examples below:

3.1) "What Have You Done?" - If I defeat the Ghout Priest while in the Attic or Cellar, can I use Roland's ability or play Evidence before advancing? (so that I'd add the location to my victory display)

You may use reactions to the Ghoul Priest being defeated (“when” and “after” effects) before advancing.

3.2) "Into the Darkness" - What happens first - do I flip Ritual Site, or do I advance the Act?

You resolve everything that would resolve upon entering the Ritual Site (reveal it, place clues on it, resolve any other “after moving” kind of reactions, etc. Then advance the Act.

4) Does Cunning Distraction evade (exhaust + disengage) enemies that are engaged with other investigators? RRG says the Evade action can only be performed against an enemy engaged with you. It's unclear whether this restriction applies to evading by card ability as well.

As for your final question about Cunning Distraction, it is just as the card says—it automatically evades all enemies at your location (regardless of who they are engaged with). The evade action can only be used on enemies engaged with you, but other evade effects (like Stray Cat and Cunning Distraction) just do exactly what they say.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Hello Matt!

We're having a vivid discussion, could you help use please? Three specific interactions that illustrate the same general rules question that we're having:

1) After I defeat an enemy, can I use Roland's ability to discover a clue, then play Evidence?

2) After I fail a skill test by 2 or less, can I use Rabbit's Foot to draw a card, which happens to be "Look what I found!", and immediately play it?

3) After I evade an enemy, can I use Pickpocketing to draw a card, which happens to be Close Call, and immediately play it?

The rules entry for the word "After" says that you play reactions immediately after the triggering condition occurs. We're having different opinions on what exactly the word "Immediately" means.

I'm arguing that the Reactions in Arkham work just like in Thrones (RRG "Reactions"): "After a triggering condition resolves, a reaction window for that triggering condition opens", and in that window you can play multiple reactions to the same triggering condition. So basically, "immediately after [something]" means "during a reaction window that opens immediately after [something]". However, the Arkham rulebook says nothing about reaction windows, so I'm basing my interpretation solely on the Thrones rulebook.

Other players argue that if you use a reaction "After [something]", then you cannot use another reaction with the same triggering condition, because the game state has advanced, and you're no longer within the moment "immediately after" [something]. Therefore, there are two possible outcomes of this interpretaion:

- You can only ever play one reaction to each triggering condition.

- You must declare the use of all relevant reactions and fast actions that trigger "After [something]", then you resolve them one by one (like in Netrunner or Magic).

So which of the three interpretations is correct?

Thanks Matt! :)

Greetings!

In all instances, using one reaction shouldn't close the opportunity to use other reactions to the same trigger. It is only after all players have passed their reaction opportunity that the game moves forward. For example:

1) After I defeat an enemy, can I use Roland's ability to discover a clue, then play Evidence?

Yep. After defeating an enemy, the players have the chance to trigger as many reactions to that enemy’s defeat as they want. Then the game moves forward.

2) After I fail a skill test by 2 or less, can I use Rabbit's Foot to draw a card, which happens to be "Look what I found!", and immediately play it?

3) After I evade an enemy, can I use Pickpocketing to draw a card, which happens to be Close Call, and immediately play it?

Yep and yep. Even though you’ve drawn a card, you still have the opportunity to react to the original trigger. If it happens that the card you drew can react to that trigger, you can absolutely use that card. 

Try not to get hung up on the use of the word “immediately”— in the context of reactions, the word “immediately” is simply there to prevent somebody from thinking that they can trigger “Evidence” several turns after defeating an enemy (for example), because hey, it’s technically “after,” right? Reading too much into the word “immediately” can be a slippery slope.

Anyway, hope that helps. Happy monster hunting!

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Shouldn't the question about Look What I Found say "2 or less" instead of "2 or more"?

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Shouldn't the question about Look What I Found say "2 or less" instead of "2 or more"?

Thanks, fixed.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Hello Matt! :)

In the Night of the Zealot Campaign Guide, setup instructions for scenario #2 "The Midnight Masks" say:

>> "If there are exactly 2 players in the game, search the gathered encounter sets for 1 copy of Acolyte and spawn it at Southside."

Now the question is, does the Acolyte's Forced ability trigger during setup?

In A Game of Thrones, cards don't enter play during setup - the game starts with those cards already in play, so their "enters play" abilities never trigger

In the Arkham RRG, the entry for "Spawn" says:

>> "If a card ability instructs the players to spawn an enemy in a particular location (for example: "Search the encounter deck for an Acolyte and spawn it in Southside"), treat the ability causing the card to enter play as the enemy's spawn instruction, overriding any other spawn instruction."

But the Acolyte is being spawned due to instructions from the Campaign Guide, not a card ability, so this entry should not apply, right?

I guess the whole point of starting the scenario with Acolytes is to speed up the Doom clock, but historically (from Thrones experience) the cards don't trigger their "enters-play" abilities, and I don't see anything in the rulebook that would either affirm or disprove it.

Thanks!

Greetings,

All effects that trigger when a card enters play should trigger during Setup. When you’re setting up the game, even though the game hasn’t yet begun, you are setting up the play area for the game, and all of those cards are considered “in play.” So anything that is being added to the play area during setup is still “entering play.” While this may not generally be the case in our competitive LCGs, it is crucial for cooperative games like Arkham and Lord of the Rings to allow for abilities to trigger during setup.

Lairdimus

Lairdimus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello!

Can someone explain how Sneak Attack (Core 52) works? It says, "Deal 2 damage to an exhausted enemy at your location."  That sounds straightforward, and there is a player action window during the enemy phase after an enemy attack happens, but the card lacks the Fast keyword, and therefore should only be playable as one of the player actions during their phase when all enemies are not exhausted.  As I understand it, that makes the card essentially unplayable.  Am I missing something?  Does this card need errata-ing, or am I understanding the timing completely wrong?

CastorJo

CastorJo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

If you evade an enemy, it becomes exhausted. First action : evade. Second action : sneak attack.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

During your turn, you exhaust an enemy by evading it, then play Sneak Attack.

Lairdimus

Lairdimus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Gotcha.  I read the detailed description of Evade in the Reference Guide.  That makes a lot of sense.  I played a game with the starter decks with a couple friends, and nobody tried the Evade option, so we never really got to see it work.  Thank you, guys!

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Mind over Matter
Fast. Play only during your turn.
Until the end of the round, you may use your Intellect in place of your Combat and Agility.

If, during my turn, something makes me perform a skill test, can I play Mind over Matter to change the type of test? The Skill Test Timing chart seems to suggest that it the first opportunity to play a Fast action would be after determining the type of a test, so I guess it would be too late? Seems clear enough rules-wise, but that makes Mind over Matter much less useful if you cannot play it in emergency situations, so though I should ask to be sure.

Yeah, you’d have to play Mind over Matter before the test begins. It’s exactly as you say – once the test begins, your first opportunity to play Mind over Matter would be after ST. 1, during which you determine the skill you’re using for the test. By then it would be too late.

Cemehiden

Cemehiden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The card text on Mind over Matter doesn't state that it's changing the skill, but allowing you to use intellect in place of combat or agility. Could you clarify once more please Matt Newman so I know the card wasn't misquoted in the initial question since it states its not specifically changing a skill but using in place of.

Fast. Play only during your turn.

Until the end of the round, you may use your "intellect" in place of your "combat" and "agility".

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

I trust Matt to know the card text, and to mean what he's saying. But feel free to ask him for clarifications :)

Cemehiden

Cemehiden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Sorry, the way the question was worded is what has caused me to doubt that maybe it was a simple oversight. I think some clarification is needed to ensure we are using the card correctly and future cards that may allow you to use or change a skill test. Will he respond here or is this something I need to email him directly at FFG?

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Here's the official FFG's rules question form: https://www.fantasyf.../contact/rules/

BDFlory

BDFlory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
An answer from Matt on how spawn interacts with drawing enemies from the encounter deck. By extension, this also affects prey once spawn makes it possible for the enemy to engage any investigator instead of the one who drew it.

Q: If an investigator draws an enemy with spawn, but the investigator is in the spawn location, does it still automatically engage with the investigator who drew it (as described in the mythos phase, rrg 24) or is it the lead investigator's choice if there are multiple investigators at the location (rrg 10)? (paraphrased)

Greetings!

If there is a spawn instruction, that dictates where the enemy will spawn (as in, what location). If there happen to be 1 or more investigators at that location, it will automatically engage one of those investigators using the rules for enemy engagement (page 10).

It only matters who drew the card if it has no spawn instruction, in which case it will spawn engaged with that player. Otherwise, simply follow the spawn instruction & the normal rules for enemy engagement.

• mplain likes this

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi, does Seeking Answers work with Deduction? Can the combo potentially allow you to discover two clues at a connecting location?