Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Frequently asked Questions- Check here first please

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Hi, does Seeking Answers work with Deduction? Can the combo potentially allow you to discover two clues at a connecting location?

Yup. Deduction increases the clues found at the location which was investigated; Seeking Answers changes the location.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

I'm not so sure about that.

Deduction says find 1 additional clue in the location you're investigating.

Seeking Answers says find 1 clue in a location that is NOT the one you're investigating.

Plus, Seeking Answers is a replacement effect, just like Burglary (worded in the same way), and we know that Burglary and Deduction don't work.

Goo question! I'll ask Matt.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Greetings!

These cards do work together:

Seeking Answers says to discover a clue at a connecting location “instead of discovering a clue at your location.” This is different from Burglary (and Searching for Izzie), which each say “instead of discovering clues.” The effect of Seeking Answers replaces the discovering of 1 clue at your location with the discovering of 1 clue at a connecting location, while Burglary and Searching for Izzie replace discovering any clues at all with their effect.

The other question is, where would you discover clues if you did this combo?

Let’s say you are at Location A and Location B is a connecting location. Deduction says to “discover 1 additional clue at that location,” where “that” is the location you are investigating. With Seeking Answers, you are still investigating Location A, even if you are discovering clues at Location B. Therefore, Deduction would allow you to discover 1 additional clue at Location A, while Seeking Answers allows you to discover 1 clue at Location B, so you would discover 1 at each.

Put another way:

Had you investigated normally and committed Deduction, you would discover 2 clues at Location A. But Seeking Answers replaces the discovering of clue with the discovering of clue at Location B. So, you would discover 1 clue at Location A and 1 clue at Location B.

Cheers,
------------------------------------------------
Matthew Newman

• ellonellanfair likes this

Ungolianth

Ungolianth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

At the end of a scenario, does an investigator takes his/hers physical wounds and horror to the next scenario?

Do all assets - including allies - in play also start in the next scenario?

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

At the end of a scenario, does an investigator takes his/hers physical wounds and horror to the next scenario?

Do all assets - including allies - in play also start in the next scenario?

No. Look under "Game" in the Rules Reference, p. 12. Each new scenario is a new game, so you start all over again (plus any permanent changes to your character, such as trauma or purchasing Permanent cards).

Ungolianth

Ungolianth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks Contributor! Some topics are written down at strange places...

I was for example looking for 'Allies' in the Index. Found out that it is mentioned under 'Asset'.

But confusion is pretty inherent with the game :) 

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

How does Duke interact with the Orne Library?

Duke:

Action Exhaust Duke: Investigate. You investigate with a base skill of 4. You may move to a connecting location immediately before investigating with this effect.

Orne Library:

You must spend 1 additional action to investigate the Orne Library.

Some questions:

Does interaction change if I move onto the library as part of Duke's ability?  What if Orne Library isn't revealed when I trigger Duke's ability?  If it still costs two actions, but I didn't know what the location text said until after I moved there what happens if I don't have an extra action?  What happens if I'm on Orne Library and I trigger the ability to move away?  or just stay?

My understanding of the rules:

You pay costs, then you initiate the ability.  So you wouldn't move until after you've paid any costs but you don't know which location you are going to investigate until you've decided to move or not, so you don't know what the cost is?

Or does Orne Library only work if you actually do a standard Investigate Action (and not interact with Activate Actions that become Investigates?).

• phillosmaster likes this

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

You have to pay costs to initiate action triggers.

If the Orne Library is not revealed, the only cost to explore with Duke's help is to spend the action (and exhaust Duke). You paid the cost, the action will now resolve.

Once the Orne Library is revealed, you'll have to spend an additional action as normal, whether you Duke or not.

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

You have to pay costs to initiate action triggers.

If the Orne Library is not revealed, the only cost to explore with Duke's help is to spend the action (and exhaust Duke). You paid the cost, the action will now resolve.

Once the Orne Library is revealed, you'll have to spend an additional action as normal, whether you Duke or not.

so if I'm on another location. I trigger Duke. The first thing I do is pay the cost to investigate (an action plus exhaust). Now I use the text on the card to move. Then an investigate occurs. Where do I pay the extra action in that sequence? I've already paid the cost and begun resolving the text. Is there a second cost step in there somewhere?

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

so if I'm on another location. I trigger Duke. The first thing I do is pay the cost to investigate (an action plus exhaust). Now I use the text on the card to move. Then an investigate occurs. Where do I pay the extra action in that sequence? I've already paid the cost and begun resolving the text. Is there a second cost step in there somewhere?

You don't, so far as I can tell. If you're revealing the Orne Library through Duke's scoot'n'sniff investigate, the cost is paid before it is flipped over. In the initiation sequence, that's Step 2. Step 3 is when your ability initiates. So you reveal the Orne Library, but it wasn't a cost you had to pay, because it was unrevealed at the time.

Once it's flipped, it'll cost you another action as normal, of course. Time for Seeking Answers if you don't want to pay the additional action cost at Orne then.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Good question!

I doubt that the answer here depends on whether or not the Orne Library is revealed before you use Duke's Investigate ability (if you start in another location).

When you initiate Duke's ability, first you pay costs (spend an action and exhaust Duke), then you resolve effects: move to a connecting location, then investigate your current location. Whether Orne Library was revealed or not should be irrelevant here.

Basically, the cost of the action changed during the resolution of that action's effect. Although it might be possible that you must spend an extra action during the resolution of the effect, and if you don't you'd end up moving to the Library but not investigating. As with Rougarou + Taunt, it's kinda hard to tell *when* you pay the additional cost.

I suggest you ask Matt about his interaction.

EDIT: Another possibility is that you make all player choices when you first initiate the ability, before you pay costs. If so, then you'd initiate the ability, declare that you want to move to a connecting location, then pay costs, then move and investigate. In this case it might indeed be relevant whether Orne Library is revealed or not.

• phillosmaster likes this

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
FYI, here's the ruling from Matt. You pay the cost if you trigger any investigation while starting on Orne Library.

Greetings!

The Orne Library’s ability adds an additional cost to investigating (by any means). That cost is spending an additional action.

As for Duke’s ability, you must pay the cost of the ability before you move or investigate. This includes any additional costs.

So, though it may seem strange at first, the interaction goes like this:

—If you are at Orne Library and active Duke’s ability, you must pay the additional action (because you haven’t moved yet, and you must pay the additional cost to investigate). Then you may move elsewhere and investigate, having paid the extra action.

—If you are not at Orne Library and move into the Orne Library using Duke’s ability, you have already paid the cost of the ability and thus do not need to pay the extra action.
  • Gaffa and phillosmaster like this

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Thanks for that! :)

DadouXIII

DadouXIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

- Do I resolve the encounter card before or after I gain 2 clues? The entry for the word "Then" is not 100% clear, it addresses a situation where I have another card with a reaction to drawing an encounter card, but I'm not sure if Resolution, Forced, and Surge on the drawn encounter card would be considered as direct or indirect consequences (I assume indirect, but though it's still worth asking).

Generally you should resolve effects in the order listed on the card. This is especially true if it uses the word “then”, since everything before the word “then” must successfully resolve in order for anything after the word “then” to resolve. So in this case, you have to draw the encounter card (and thus resolve all of its effects of drawing the encounter card, including all keywords) before you can discover the 2 clues. 

Note: This also means if you used a card effect to cancel the encounter card drawn, you also wouldn’t discover the clues. After all, you have to put yourself in harm’s way to discover the truth… ;D

If the Encounter card is drawn and then cancelled by an effect, it is considered having never been drawn then?

What about Ward of Protection? I am wrong for using both cards together? Play Drawn to the Flame, drawn the Encounter card, play Ward of Protection to cancel the Revelation effect, pick up the two clues.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

If the Encounter card is drawn and then cancelled by an effect, it is considered having never been drawn then?

What about Ward of Protection? I am wrong for using both cards together? Play Drawn to the Flame, drawn the Encounter card, play Ward of Protection to cancel the Revelation effect, pick up the two clues.

Ward of Protection only cancels the Revelation effect (if the card is a Treachery), not the fact that you drew the card. You're playing it correctly.

celyl

celyl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

May I play "Think on your feet" after an enemy moves via keyword hunter to investigators location? My I use it after draw enemy from encounter deck? I am not sure this enemy is "spawn" to location before it go to my threat area.

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Spawning is when an enemy is entering play (usually from the encounter deck). Hunter movement is not spawning; it's just movement.

DadouXIII

DadouXIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Something a bit strange happened to my coop partner and me yesterday while playing.

In Extracurricular Activities: Agenda 3b, which happens when you are not fast enough to save the students. The text reads: Each investigator immediately takes 3 horror. Then, proceed to (→R4). In our case, taking each 3 horror was enough to render all of us insane: so should we keep proceeding to Resolution 4? Or do we just take a mentral trauma and proceed to No Resolution which triggers if either all investigators Resign or are defeated?

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

You mean defeated. Investigators are only killed or driven insane by trauma or scenario resolutions. As for your question, I'd say you proceed with R4 (which is marginally worse).

DadouXIII

DadouXIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You mean defeated. Investigators are only killed or driven insane by trauma or scenario resolutions. As for your question, I'd say you proceed with R4 (which is marginally worse).

So do we take the mental trauma for also being defeated by that 3 horror blow?

So 1 mental trauma + resolution 4?