Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mythos Pack Announced

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

https://www.fantasyf...katonic-museum/

So what do you think of the spoiled cards? Are we all going to want to Delve too Deep or will playing it safe be a better bet? 

• blinovitch and Reckoner like this

ultimate26

ultimate26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

I am still skeptic as to if the game will force people to play multiple long sessions just to start having fun.

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

I am still skeptic as to if the game will force people to play multiple long sessions just to start having fun.

If you didn't enjoy the first game why would you play another one? 

The way I see it, it is like a roleplaying game. One shots are fine, can be great even, but when you can progress through multiple games, growing the story and in power each time, that makes it all the better. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I don't think I will be Delving too often. 

ultimate26

ultimate26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

If you didn't enjoy the first game why would you play another one? 

The way I see it, it is like a roleplaying game. One shots are fine, can be great even, but when you can progress through multiple games, growing the story and in power each time, that makes it all the better. 

Board games have a hard time hitting the table, and when they do they end up being with different people meaning that ill be playing "Chapter 1" more often than not, for a full campaign to happen i would have to find another friend who is passionate about the game that would be willing to go through the game with me, so far all my board game friends are also turned off because of the forced "Continuity" mechanic.

I will probably play with my GF, hoping that we both like it but im kind of worried.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

But what if you break up?  I understand the apprehension. I've run the intro scenarios to campaign games more times than I can remember. Who knows? Maybe you'll make new friends who like the game.

I like Adaptable quite a bit. Delve seems like a fun card for the times when FFG's release schedule gets thrown off course.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

I am for sure, giving the game a shot, but I'm not the kind of person that likes their deck to level up. I's like to make another deck, chose the cards that I want at any given time, not cards with levels and stuff between games. I like how the deck evolved in Pathfinder, because it was stuff you were encountering during the game, not cards that you pick outside of it.

• Carthoris likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

That is unfortunate because the "Continuity" mechanic is one of the most exciting things about this game IMO.

I definitely will be Delving.  Sounds right up my alley.  Though I can see this card causing a lot of grief if playing with a larger group :)

Adaptable is an interesting card, but I'm not sure I'll ever play it.  I like the idea of my deck being less fluid, but being an LOTR player I can certainly appreciate the power of swapping in silver bullets based on the scenario.

I like the idea of buying permanent buffs that are in play at the beginning of each scenario.  That feels more RPG-like.  I hope we get lots of cards with the Permanent keyword.

• Ironswimsuit likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

So what do you think of the spoiled cards? Are we all going to want to Delve too Deep or will playing it safe be a better bet?

It is nearly impossible to judge cards at this stage never having played the game, but if they have designed the game correctly then there is a chance of it representing the risk/reward/cost choices that made AH such an amazing game. This in turn could make risky cards with crazy costs to the investigator not only viable, but required.

I like to see the cards like anyone else, but anyone giving out card evaluations is sorta a bit premature, right?

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Well we know quite a bit about the game now.  So it's not an opinion based off nothing.  I think we can share our initial impression of a card now with the understanding that given more experience with the game our opinion may change.

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I like that Delve Too Deep effectively adds grinding to the game. It seems like a card you play near the end of an encounter, once it seems clear you're going to win and want to eke out a bit more XP.

I also appreciate that we finally have some numbers for Mythos Packs. 26 player cards puts the balance between Encounter and Player cards at pretty close to LotR levels (this pack will have 34 encounter cards, most LotR packs have 32). If I had to guess, I'd expect that each class gets a Lvl. 0 and Lvl. 1 card, with three Lvl. 2 cards.

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

Board games have a hard time hitting the table, and when they do they end up being with different people meaning that ill be playing "Chapter 1" more often than not, for a full campaign to happen i would have to find another friend who is passionate about the game that would be willing to go through the game with me, so far all my board game friends are also turned off because of the forced "Continuity" mechanic.

I will probably play with my GF, hoping that we both like it but im kind of worried.

I more meant that the company couldn't afford for the first game a person played to be unfun, as you hinted at may be the case with your first response. 

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

That is unfortunate because the "Continuity" mechanic is one of the most exciting things about this game IMO.

I definitely will be Delving.  Sounds right up my alley.  Though I can see this card causing a lot of grief if playing with a larger group :)

Adaptable is an interesting card, but I'm not sure I'll ever play it.  I like the idea of my deck being less fluid, but being an LOTR player I can certainly appreciate the power of swapping in silver bullets based on the scenario.

I like the idea of buying permanent buffs that are in play at the beginning of each scenario.  That feels more RPG-like.  I hope we get lots of cards with the Permanent keyword.

Delve is chaotic and I like it. I think Adaptable is a really good introduction to the keyword, not that I have anything to compare it to. It's good for Rogues. I'm roguish. I like it. Always have a way out.

I like that Delve Too Deep effectively adds grinding to the game. It seems like a card you play near the end of an encounter, once it seems clear you're going to win and want to eke out a bit more XP.

I also appreciate that we finally have some numbers for Mythos Packs. 26 player cards puts the balance between Encounter and Player cards at pretty close to LotR levels (this pack will have 34 encounter cards, most LotR packs have 32). If I had to guess, I'd expect that each class gets a Lvl. 0 and Lvl. 1 card, with three Lvl. 2 cards.

26 player cards  = 1 play set = 13 individual cards, unless we're getting 1 per deck cards which equal a play set.

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

It is nearly impossible to judge cards at this stage never having played the game, but if they have designed the game correctly then there is a chance of it representing the risk/reward/cost choices that made AH such an amazing game. This in turn could make risky cards with crazy costs to the investigator not only viable, but required.

I like to see the cards like anyone else, but anyone giving out card evaluations is sorta a bit premature, right?

Just trying to generate discussion and get thoughts. 

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

I don't think I will be Delving too often. 

Perhaps a solo game you might want to delve. But yeah, not too thrilled.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

It does feel a bit like playing a Doomed card in LOTR.  Better the less players you have in the game.

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Does this article confirm that you can't alter your deck at all between acts without having to spend experience for it? If so, this is a huge turnoff (although expected). Otherwise, the Adaptable card makes no sense...

Edit: Just saw that there was a previous article about deckbuilding which explains that. I don't know how I missed it...

JonDigman

JonDigman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Cannot wait for Permanent Injuries / (what ever the handicap cards are called) start appearing

MitchG

MitchG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I absolutely love the flavour of Delve too Deep, playing solo I'll give it a shot at least.  I am crazy excited to try the actual adventure in the pack too. Running around the museum late at night sounds like a ton of fun!

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Depends on how "solo" works really. LoTR could be played solo, as in a single "hand". Some players play with 2 Hands but personally I never do. I'm yet to grasp how "solo" play works in AH. It is my hope that you can play as a single investigator and still have the game "work". In LoTR while the game is very good solo, there is no doubt that some quests function way better with 2 Hands.

My point is that this is a card that is often found to be lacking for Solo in LoTR, as it effects the entire human player team. Those kinds of cards usually work great when you have many hands playing, but in solo, there is often much cheaper, sometimes even more powerful versions that only effect the player casting the card.