Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mythos Pack Announced

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
You play as a single investigator. The game scales very well since all the things are by and large per investigator.

MitchG

MitchG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Also noticed that it says all the player cards in this pack range from levels 0-2. I would hazard a guess that this means as the packs get later into the campaign cycle the levels will get higher, and we will see more of the level 4-5 cards in the last couple of packs. 

• MightyToenail likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

You play as a single investigator. The game scales very well since all the things are by and large per investigator.

cool.. I would say that proper scaling build into the mechanisms would be a design goal right from the start of development. There are many problems with LoTR that has been exposed as the game grew, AH I hope will be trying to address these and the scaling is defiantly one of them. They did a great job of handling these kind of design kinks between AH and EH, in this case it was "dilution".. that problem was solved in EH, (ah is stil la better game.. AH for LIFE!!) but yeah, I really hope that AH resolves some of my problems with LoTR.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Does this article confirm that you can't alter your deck at all between acts without having to spend experience for it? If so, this is a huge turnoff (although expected). Otherwise, the Adaptable card makes no sense...

Edit: Just saw that there was a previous article about deckbuilding which explains that. I don't know how I missed it...

Really? I love this part of it. It would get really slow if you could change your deck. Plus this means that they won't have cards that only work in "this one scenario" or "you need this card to win this scenario" that sort of thing.

• Hector21 likes this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Also noticed that it says all the player cards in this pack range from levels 0-2. I would hazard a guess that this means as the packs get later into the campaign cycle the levels will get higher, and we will see more of the level 4-5 cards in the last couple of packs. 

That's pretty cool. Hope that's how it works.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Really? I love this part of it. It would get really slow if you could change your deck. Plus this means that they won't have cards that only work in "this one scenario" or "you need this card to win this scenario" that sort of thing.

makes player cards in new packs really weird though, either you start campaign over or have to wait to level up to change? 

• MightyToenail likes this

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Really. Since my main source of enjoyment in a LCG is building decks, having an encounter deck that challanges me to the point of forcing me to alter my deck was exciting and the closest thing to a meta a solo game like LotR had. Removing that part so every investigator can defeat every scenario with just minor tweaks to their initial decks is just discouraging for me and will probably make me bored pretty fast.

So a big pass for me.

andrewaa

andrewaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Board games have a hard time hitting the table, and when they do they end up being with different people meaning that ill be playing "Chapter 1" more often than not, for a full campaign to happen i would have to find another friend who is passionate about the game that would be willing to go through the game with me, so far all my board game friends are also turned off because of the forced "Continuity" mechanic.

I will probably play with my GF, hoping that we both like it but im kind of worried.

I don't understand the "forced" argument. What prevents you to start from the third mission with 2xp?

• Kaic likes this

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Remember, preview articles have stated that every scenario can be played as standalone, so you guys don't HAVE to play it as a campaign if you don't want to.  And the difficulty is variable based on how you build the chaos bag, so if you want to make it harder to balance out being able to build a new deck for each scenario, the tools to do that are already there.  You'd be missing out on some of the stuff, like the cards shown today that are specifically oriented around campaign play, but it's still a viable option.

As for today's preview, I like it.  It shows some of the interesting possibilities with design space in a game like this. 

I think Adaptable will be useful for Wendy and Skids, but will be even better for the rogue character in Dunwich Legacy, since 0-level cards are the only non-class cards they can include. 

Delve Too Deep is really interesting, and I'll have to give it a try at some point, but I'm not sure if it will be worth a lost in the deck to include a card that make the game harder.  But if the extra encounter cards you draw also give you experience, it could work really well in the long game.

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

You'd be missing out on some of the stuff, like the cards shown today that are specifically oriented around campaign play, but it's still a viable option.

By avoiding the campain system you will be missing A LOT of stuff. Both cards previewed today are campain only (because what good is experience if you don't play campain?). Same with all the extra weaknesses they will throw at us or the level 0 cards of cards with higher versions (as you will just include the better versions in your deck).

Those are cards with no versatility at all that force you to play one mode to make use of them. The previously preview card that allows you to trade cards between players also suffers from that (useless in solo mode). Those cards are too niche to be released when there's not enough cards in the cardpool to make deckbuilding interesting, more considering how limiting deckbuilding and the levelled up cards are.

So basically, if I play solo and standalone (like I do with LotR), I'm looking at an even smaller card pool to choose from just because they decided to "explore" design space by wasting card slots.

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

So basically, if I play solo and standalone (like I do with LotR), I'm looking at an even smaller card pool to choose from just because they decided to "explore" design space by wasting card slots.

It's your very subjective opinion that it's a waste of card slots.  Personally, I find it really interesting, because I've never seen it done before.

I can see how these cards aren't helpful to you if you don't want to play it as a campaign, or with other people, but in that case, you're not playing the game by its default setting.  And so far we've only seen a small number of cards that actually deal with these things.  If even that small number is enough to bother you that much, then perhaps it just isn't the right game for you.

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Liking the cards from the new pack. Certainly planning to delve too deep any chance I can, it's what the Mythos is all about! :)

And the idea of permanent cards that start in play, liking that a lot.

• ShadowcatX2000 likes this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Depends on how "solo" works really. LoTR could be played solo, as in a single "hand". Some players play with 2 Hands but personally I never do. I'm yet to grasp how "solo" play works in AH. It is my hope that you can play as a single investigator and still have the game "work". In LoTR while the game is very good solo, there is no doubt that some quests function way better with 2 Hands.

My point is that this is a card that is often found to be lacking for Solo in LoTR, as it effects the entire human player team. Those kinds of cards usually work great when you have many hands playing, but in solo, there is often much cheaper, sometimes even more powerful versions that only effect the player casting the card.

air-quotes.gif

• Vlad3theImpaler and MrWizard like this

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

It's your very subjective opinion that it's a waste of card slots.  Personally, I find it really interesting, because I've never seen it done before.

I can see how these cards aren't helpful to you if you don't want to play it as a campaign, or with other people, but in that case, you're not playing the game by its default setting.  And so far we've only seen a small number of cards that actually deal with these things.  If even that small number is enough to bother you that much, then perhaps it just isn't the right game for you.

No, it's not subjective, it's a fact. Or how are those useful cards to you if you play solo and standalone? And btw, solo is a main feature of the game, so no reason to not make every card useful for it; and you were the one who brought up standalone play as a good alternative for those that don't want to play campain. I was just saying that it won't work as a good alternative if there are cards designed specifically for campain play. This is LotR solo play all over again, where you where "forced" to play 2 handed or you missed on half your cardpool cool synergies. They implemented a way better scaling system in this game, but if they keep designing cards that only work in multiplayer, people will end up playing 2 investigators at once, which defeats the porpouse of scaling the game for solo play.

And what I was saying with this cards being a waste of space is that the cardpool is already small and highly limited. There are investigators that won't be able to be paired together due to the lack of player cards even after buying 2 Cores and the DE. Using the few player cards slots available in packs (which is smaller that I thought they would be) for stuff that won't let you amend that is not a wise call from my point of view.

They could have come with other ways to expand the design space for now that wouldn't diminish the player card pool even more. For example, locations could have a keyword like "Savehouse" allowing investigators to trade items while in it as an action. Or have treacheries, enemies or locations have the keyword "Achivement X" where X is the number of 0 cards you can switch for free between scenarios. There's a lot of design space to explore in the encounter deck that could end up giving a similar feel, so there was no real need to start experimenting with player cards so soon, considering how limited the card pool will be due to the investigator's deckbuilding restrictions, the special cards and the level up ones.

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

There is nothing stopping someone who is playing solo from playing a campaign. Also, since each investigator is playable out of a single core, saying that there are pairs of investigators not playable out of two cores is entirely incorrect. They may not be playable on a level where they are fully optimized, but they will be completely playable. 

• Toqtamish likes this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Ya know. I had this whole big post typed out contesting a lot of the weird reasoning posted in this thread. Then i realized it was at least mostly one person.

Sorry, xchan, I’m not trying to pick on your anything but I have to wonder… why are you even here? Seriously, it’s like you’re trying to find a reason to not play this game and for some reason want other people to hate it as much as you should you finally find that reason.

There’s nothing wrong with not playing a game due to one aspect or another, but I’ve got a bit of a problem when I start seeing people, who for whatever reason doesn’t like that game, decide to try and take it down from the inside. I feel like that is what you’re trying to do.

For the record I don’t think AH lcg is perfect either. It has some aspects that don’t cater to my every preference. So there is some room for criticism and general moaning, but you’re clearly taking things to the next level. And in a surprising amount of cases… blow things way out of proportion.

So… please… just stop. There are a million other Cthulhu themed games out there, I’m sure at least one of them meets your standards, or if you want, feel free to create your own! Most of the Cthulhu stuff is in the public domain. As is though, you’re not helping anyone here with your irrational comments.
  • Toqtamish, klaymen, BaraBob and 4 others like this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Dude, you're the reason we didn't get Cyborg and G-Mod -specific cards in Netrunner. At a certain point cards were playtested that would only provide their effect if your Runner identity had a Cyborg subtype or a G-Mod subtype. This was going to "explore design space" and make the game more interesting and complex. But one dude from my playgroup said that he would't like opening a pack and seeing cards that he couldn't use with his favourite Runner identity. And they listened to him, and made universally playable Cybernetics and Genetics cards, that and actually universally UNplayable (except for Pancakes). DUH!

There is nothing wrong with designing and releasing niche cards that are very good for some players and absolutely useless for others. Because you know where that road will lead you?

- I'm playing standalone only, so these cards that provide XP are useless to me. They just waste card slots in the pack!

- I'm playing solo only, so these cards that provide bonuses for the group are useless to me. They just waste card slots in the pack!

- I'm playing Guardian only, so these Mystic and Survivor cards are useless to me. They just waste card slots in the pack!

Dude, that's just wrong :(

• MagnusArcanis, Mixxathon and Vlad3theImpaler like this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

solo is a main feature of the game

What?? Who ever said that? This is a co-op game that you can play solo. Some features are co-op only, most features are available for solo play.

Campaign mode IS a main feature of the game though.

• MagnusArcanis likes this

MitchG

MitchG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I'm glad someone said it, because I couldn't find a way to say it as politely.

Anywho, moving on.

Now that I've *almost* gotten over my crazy giddy phase about learning the theme about the first pack. (Seriously, we get to play night at the museum in Miskatonic museum!? How cool is that?!) I read the article a little closer. There was one detail I saw that I didn't remember being covered before. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken and unobservant. 

Do we know exactly how experience points are earned? The article mentioned Delve too Deep being worth 1 point of experience because it was one victory point. Are victory points the primary way to get experience points? The only way? Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere I missed, couldn't find it in the threads here already.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Victory points are one way to get XP, but there could be other ways we don't know about.  For instance, maybe you get a bonus at the end of the quest if you complete it successfully or depending on what choices you make.

• PaxCecilia likes this