Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arkham Horror Location Preview

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

https://www.fantasyf...atch-your-step/

The Learn to Play and Rules PDFs are available as well!

https://images-cdn.f...to_play_web.pdf

https://images-cdn.f...ference_web.pdf

• blinovitch and SnarkhamHorror like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

yes the important part is rules are up!

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts
Ooooohhhhhh Mulligan..

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

I find the Grim rule a little bit clunky.

Also:

If a player attempts to choose a new investigator and there are no investigators remaining in the pool, the players have lost and the campaign ends.

Let's see if the campaign limits the pool of investigators someway or the more you buy, the better chance to complete the campaign xD (can I say "the better chance"?).

The rules hypes me more than any preview.

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Interesting to see that AH has different rules for a mulligan than every other LCG.

Also like that Weaknesses won't be part of your opening hand. Does a good job of counteracting the frustration I've had in LotR where you end up with a devastating Treachery drawn right away.

ETA:

" Pay attention to such narrative passages, both in the Campaign Guide and in card flavor text, as important details may be revealed that inform or add context for decisions made later in the scenario. "

Cool!

alduc

alduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I like the mulligan rule. Combined with a 30-cards deck, it makes it possible to start the game on a more consistent basis.
  • PaxCecilia likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Yay! Rules!!

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I am just terrified that monsters apply their damage without test :/

This is going to be brutal game.

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

A minor point, but the biggest surprise for me from the rules: we still don't have official names for the special Chaos Token symbols. Three of them are fairly straightforward -- a skull, a cultist, and an Elder Thing -- but I'm still not clear on what that fourth one is. I think it's supposed to be a broken tablet, but I was hoping there might be an official name.

ETA: I wonder if having both an Elder Thing and an Elder Sign chaos token might eventually cause some minor confusion.

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Shame, it seems that the chaos bag is not a part of the game.Of course I can use anything but a small bag with elder sign really could be part of the core set :(

Ok, let s dive deeper into the rules, I´m only on page 2, but this really strikes me as a small surprise...

• MightyToenail likes this

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Pulling from a top hat sound funny.

I also think that enemies hitting without a test is really hardcore, but evading is also tapping them quite easily, also massive monsters get tapped with a single evasion (but may they be unevadable?). I hope the investigator also have some tools to one-shot monsters.

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts
The mythos is supposed to be hardcore. Otherwise it would be Cthulhu Friendship is Magic.

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

One possibility re the chaos bag:

http://www.cthulhudi...hulhu-dice-bag/

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Also the one given at Arkham Nights, were the majority of the population cannot go.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Evading may be easy for some investigators, but it costs you one of your three actions for the turn.  And then if you don't want that monster to re-engage you, you'll need to spend one more action moving away.  i.e. - it's 2/3rds of your turn to escape assuming you pass the evade test the first time.  Get TWO monsters on you and you're at significant risk of being trapped, having to come up with another plan, or being dependent on some special card to get you out of your jam.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Reference cards count as player cards in the core? This game is already dying.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Reference cards count as player cards in the core? This game is already dying.

That doesn't upset me as much as ending with 8 copies of 5 or 6 cards.

Evading may be easy for some investigators, but it costs you one of your three actions for the turn.  And then if you don't want that monster to re-engage you, you'll need to spend one more action moving away.  i.e. - it's 2/3rds of your turn to escape assuming you pass the evade test the first time.  Get TWO monsters on you and you're at significant risk of being trapped, having to come up with another plan, or being dependent on some special card to get you out of your jam.

The other option is trying to kill them, let's see how may actions does it take, with chances to fail.

We only can speculate about how hard is the game right now.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

There are table talk rules. This game will never die.

PaxCecilia

PaxCecilia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

It's been discussed in a few different forums, but some people will be glad to see the section "Standalone Mode" in the Rules Reference Guide published in this article. It gives you rules for doing a 1-off scenarios and how to handle experience cards accordingly.

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

It's been discussed in a few different forums, but some people will be glad to see the section "Standalone Mode" in the Rules Reference Guide published in this article. It gives you rules for doing a 1-off scenarios and how to handle experience cards accordingly.

Yeah, I really liked that sliding scale of XP, with each bracket adding another basic weakness. It's a nice system.

I do think the set-up for the Standalone--"read through the previous scenarios in the campaign and make all those decisions. Then you may start."--is a clunky, but probably necessary. And a good sign of how strong the narrative throughlines will be from encounter to encounter.

• Carthoris and PaxCecilia like this