Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Distribution of Higher Level Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Now that the Core Set cards are available on CGDB ( http://www.cardgamed...rd-game/_/core/ ), I started looking through the available cards based on their level. For one, I was surprised there weren't more. Only 22 leveled cards, and very few direct upgrades. Here's how the distribution shakes out:

(Cards marked with * are direct upgrades of Level 0 cards)

Level 1 cards: 6 cards. Four classes get one (Survivor has Aquinnah, Guardian has Extra Ammo, Seeker has Magnifying Glass*, and Mystic has Mind Wipe), while Rogue gets two (Cat Burglar and Leo*)

Level 2 cards: 7 cards. Rogue gets nothing. Mystic has one (Blinding Light*), while the other classes each get two: Seeker with Disc of Itzamna and Encyclopedia; Guardian with Beat Cop* and Police Badge; Survivor with Close Call and Lucky!*.

Level 3 cards: 5 cards. The only neutral leveled cards are here, Bulletproof Vest and Elder Sign Amulet. Rogue gets Sure Gamble, Mystic gets Book of Shadows, and Survivor gets Will to Survive

Level 4 cards: 4 cards. No Survivor card here. Guardian gets Shotgun, Mystic gets Grotesque Statue, Rogue gets Hot Streak, and Seeker gets Cryptic Research.

By class:

Guardian: Extra Ammunition (Lvl 1), Beat Cop* (Lvl 2), Police Badge (Lvl 2), and Shotgun (Lvl 4)

Seeker: Magnifying Glass* (Lvl 1), Disc of Itzamna (Lvl 2), Encyclopedia (Lvl 2), and Cryptic Research (Lvl 4)

Mystic: Mind Wipe (Lvl 1), Blinding Light* (Lvl 2), Book of Shadows (Lvl 3), Grotesque Statue (Lvl 4)

Rogue: Cat Burglar (Lvl 1), Leo de Luca* (Lvl 1), Sure Gamble (Lvl 3), and Hot Streak (Lvl 4)

Survivor: Aquinnah (Lvl 1), Close Call (Lvl 2), Lucky!* (Lvl 2), and Will to Survive (Lvl 3)

Neutral: Bulletproof Vest (Lvl 3) and Elder Sign Amulet (Lvl 3)

GreatGopher

GreatGopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm not surprised that there's so few leveled cards in the core. If they didn't have enough level 0 cards, there wouldn't be any real freedom in initial deckbuilding, so they had to give that a lot of space. Additionally, the only existing campaign is 3 scenarios long, so we'll only have 2 chances to buy cards anyway - we wouldn't really gain benefit from having tons and tons of leveled cards. I think they hit a pretty good balance given the limited slots they had in the core set.

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Yeah, each investigator has access to at least 8 unique cards to buy with XP, not counting trading cards for different ones. There is enough option until we get the Deluxe.

I do find it interesting that Rogue and Mystic both get a second card that only they can use right out of the Core unlike the others. Sure Gamble would probably make it nearly impossible for Wendy to fail, and I imagine Book of Shadows would get broken on a spell-casting Daisy.

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I assumed the higher level cards would be coming in the cycles of 6 packs. More towards the end than the start. That way you start the cycle lower level and get access to better things as the story progresses.

I also figured you'd still get some higher level ones spotted about even in earlier packs, for those doing the ongoing campaign, but still it would be slanted to later packs in a cycle for the majority.