Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deck size

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Serazu

Serazu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Skimming the rules, I see that a player's deck consists of 30 cards. During play, its size potentially increases.

From what we 've seen so far, will a packet of 50 sleeves be enough for a deck?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
More than enough. Not that many cards get added. A starting deck is actually 33. 30 player cards, character specific strength and weakness and a random weakness.
  • Serazu and Machination like this

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

More than enough. Not that many cards get added. A starting deck is actually 33. 30 player cards, character specific strength and weakness and a random weakness.

Just to be extra clear, starting decks for investigators that we know of. Future investigators might, I dunno, include their iconic cards as part of their starting 30, or have different deck sizes, etc.

I only mention this because default deck size is *not* defined by the rules; it's defined by the back of the individual investigator card. Right now, all 5 investigators follow the same basic deck structure, but future ones are free to do whatever.

• Carthoris and Serazu like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

A couple cards may get added over time, but not many.  I would say that 40 is already plenty for all the investigators we've seen so far.

• Serazu likes this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I'm still going to hold out hope for an investigator that uses an absurd amount of cards. Like. 86
  • Ironswimsuit and SlaaneshDevotee like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
That would be interesting. And hard to build a good deck around I think. You'd definitely wanna grab a lot of card draw cards.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

it would need a near broken ability to make me wanna play a deck with 56 more cards lol 

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Lots of skills allow you to draw a card if you are successful on the skill check they were use.  If they release enough of those types of cards I could see speeding through a deck pretty quickly.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

An investigator like that would be better when the card pool is bigger and you're not stuck dredging the bottom of the barrel for those last few cards :)

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

IMO: An investigator with a large deck would need to focus on having a large deck, so some kind of self mill / graveyard shenanigans would be good for that. 

• kizerman86 likes this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

So, a good version of Wendy, then?

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Wendy does already support that type of play (the self milling and discard play not huge deck size), and it feels great throwing something away to a skill check knowing you will be able to pull it out of the trash when you need it. The thing that's always gonna gum up that works is Abandon And Alone.  It always seems to come out at the worst time.  It would be so sweet to once see it come up as my first draw and just be done with it before it wrecks my recursion plans :)

It's certainly up there for worst weakness.  I'm not sure if Wendy or Daisy's weakness is worse.  Daisy's really sucks if you have two good items in your hands and then the Necronomicon forces it's way into you hands.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Wendy does already support that type of play (the self milling and discard play not huge deck size), and it feels great throwing something away to a skill check knowing you will be able to pull it out of the trash when you need it. The thing that's always gonna gum up that works is Abandon And Alone.  It always seems to come out at the worst time.  It would be so sweet to once see it come up as my first draw and just be done with it before it wrecks my recursion plans :)

It's certainly up there for worst weakness.  I'm not sure if Wendy or Daisy's weakness is worse.  Daisy's really sucks if you have two good items in your hands and then the Necronomicon forces it's way into you hands.

You know I only said that because I know you think Wendy is good, right? :)

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

No it soared over my head like an eagle :)

I still think she's great even though she may have the most disruptive weakness.  So far I find Daisy the hardest to play because she has no real good way to defend herself.  She's bad at evading and attacking and has little support to try and mitigate that expect for the same neutral cards everyone can get.  I like her, but she seems to need to stick with other investigators so they can engage monsters off of her.

• Ironswimsuit likes this

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

You know I only said that because I know you think Wendy is good, right? :)

I take it that you disagree about Wendy being good? 

• MightyToenail likes this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Wait, Wendy isn't good?

I'd rate them:

Roland
Daisy
Wendy
Skids
Agnes

But the top three are fairly close.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

I just don't see that she's anything to write home about. She's got a good stat line, but her abilities are pretty luck oriented. The one thing really holding me back from liking her is the chaos token being returned to the bag with her ability. She and Daisy seem to rely on having their personal items right away, or some other stellar asset. I'm open to correction on this, but my general mindset is to see how good a given investigator on its own. Also, I'm pretty into Skids and Agnes.

Wait, Wendy isn't good?

I'd rate them:

Skids

Roland

Agnes

Wendy

No Investigator

But the top three are fairly close.

Fixed. ;)

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I want to see Wendy's amulet later in the game because then I can get some good events in the trash and reuse them.  The amulet throws all events played to the bottom of the deck which means once it's out no events get trashed anymore (unless I have a currently unobtainable amount of card draw).  Therefore no recursion.  The Elder Sign ability is nice, but if I get an Elder Sign I'm probably winning the check anyway most of the time.

Wendy is actually the least luck based investigator in my experience since she has the most ability to play with the chaos bag or her skill check totals after the skill check outcome.  That and being able to reacquire stuff that gets trashed makes her very resilient (also being able to ninja away with both strong evade focused Survivor and Rogue cards is super powerful).  She's always survives the scenarios (for me) and has probably the most excited skill checks.

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

I want to see Wendy's amulet later in the game because then I can get some good events in the trash and reuse them.  The amulet throws all events played to the bottom of the deck which means once it's out no events get trashed anymore (unless I have a currently unobtainable amount of card draw).  Therefore no recursion.  The Elder Sign ability is nice, but if I get an Elder Sign I'm probably winning the check anyway most of the time.

Wendy is actually the least luck based investigator in my experience since she has the most ability to play with the chaos bag or her skill check totals after the skill check outcome.  That and being able to reacquire stuff that gets trashed makes her very resilient (also being able to ninja away with both strong evade focused Survivor and Rogue cards is super powerful).  She's always survives the scenarios (for me) and has probably the most excited skill checks.

You can discard events with her ability. That doesn't count as playing them. 

Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

You can discard events with her ability. That doesn't count as playing them. 

Also committing them to skill checks. That also does not count as playing them.