Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zee Overview and Review

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

While i am not a big Dice Tower Fan, basically if tom like a game I am pretty sure I will dislike it.. we just seam to have polar opposite tastes!! They do make nice rules overview vids...

• phillosmaster likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I think Zee did a good job giving an overview of the game and he says basically it's a great product but it's going to require expansions for replay value.  I do agree with that.  If you want to buy this as a boxed game for just the core set alone it will be fun for a while, but there are definitely a finite number of paths to walk down in the campaign.  This is the issue Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card Game ran into after you played through the campaign in that box.  With one Arkham Horror core set the combinations of investigators are limited and the deck building options are also limited.  You can increase the replay ability by getting a second core set, but this game cries for expanded content.  Luckily it's an LCG so it will have expansions like clockwork.  So his one criticism of the game pretty minor.  I mean we know we are getting the first deluxe before the end of the year.  So right there we are getting a huge dump of content right after release.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Yeah, his main criticism is basically just pointing out that it's an LCG, which people should already know.

Tom doesn't like lifestyle games in general.  In his world, you play a hundred different games a few times each.  Nothing wrong with that but yes, he's a poor indicator of what games the average patron of this site wants.  I never bother watching his reviews of anything.

• Tragic and phillosmaster like this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I like the Dice Tower fine, but for this type of game they aren't very useful.  They just don't do subscription type games.  That's understandable considering the volume of games they need to play to fuel their review shows.  That makes it almost impossible for them to just camp on a game like Arkham Horror LCG.  For a straight board game these guys usually have some good insight into what worked and what didn't.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Yeah, his main criticism is basically just pointing out that it's an LCG, which people should already know.

Tom doesn't like lifestyle games in general.  In his world, you play a hundred different games a few times each.  Nothing wrong with that but yes, he's a poor indicator of what games the average patron of this site wants.  I never bother watching his reviews of anything.

Yeah I am not a fan of him. How he can like a CCG like destiny and dislike LCGs is beyond me. 

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Tom does seem to enjoy the collectible format.  He was also a Dice Master's fan, which is basically the same thing.

Add:  Watched their Destiny review.  While Tom was up on the game Sam was pretty critical of the game.  He suggested SW Destiny was too simplistic and he was burnt out on the collectible model.  He even called the game a cash grab which is a pretty harsh statement.  I think the channel has increased in value now that Tom's opened it up with more reviewers.  Any content channel that features just one man's opinion is going to be limited.  So The Dice Tower is going in the right direction in my opinion.

• balsak40 likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Tom does seem to enjoy the collectible format.  He was also a Dice Master's fan, which is basically the same thing.

Add:  Watched their Destiny review.  While Tom was up on the game Sam was pretty critical of the game.  He suggested SW Destiny was too simplistic and he was burnt out on the collectible model.  He even called the game a cash grab which is a pretty harsh statement.  I think the channel has increased in value now that Tom's opened it up with more reviewers.  Any content channel that features just one man's opinion is going to be limited.  So The Dice Tower is going in the right direction in my opinion.

Sam was right I think. 

Also not sure how Destiny isn't a "lifestyle game" but LCGs are. Tom's reviews often confuse me when I bother to watch them. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I would say that Destiny is more lifestyle in cost/collectability than an LCG because it's more of a CCG model, but less lifestyle in game complexity (being simpler/not as deep).  However, I have not played it myself - this is just based on hearsay.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I can not believe how much they are charging for this!!

Marvel Dice Masters works as a throw away ccG for kids as the packs only cost  as much as a candy bar... but Destiny is super expensive!!!

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Yeah I am not a fan of him. How he can like a CCG like destiny and dislike LCGs is beyond me. 

Maybe we've watched different videos or taken away different points, but Tom has given favorable ratings to every LCG I've seen him review.

I can not believe how much they are charging for this!!

Marvel Dice Masters works as a throw away ccG for kids as the packs only cost  as much as a candy bar... but Destiny is super expensive!!!

The magic of heat transfer and unbent cards compared to engraved dice and bent up cards makes for a greater cost to the consumer.  They still feel about a dollar high per pack, but it's Star Wars.

I'm sorry this wasn't a confirmation review for you?  The review looks like it was made for everyone, not just people who already know about LCGs. The neutral criticism about expansions is probably good information for people unfamiliar with the format, and it's pretty even across the board for games like this. 

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Tom gave Netrunner a glowing review, but stated that he would only play it as a boxed game.  Sam and Tom gave Conquest 40k a good review, but said they would probably only play that as a boxed game as well. 

Those are the two I recall.  The common theme is that they like the games, but they aren't interested in subscribing to them I assume because of the time investment involved.

Zee basically says Arkham Horror LCG is a great product and a definite improvement over LOTR.  That's a pretty glowing review.  His one negative is not really a negative if you plan to buy into the mythos packs.

So based on that yeah I guess it's kind of not correct to say they hate LCGs.  They just don't play them.  They seem to acknowledge their quality.  I don't know why Tom in particular is more tolerant to a CCG model than an LCG model but it probably has something to do with the thrill of opening a sealed pack.  Some people just thrive on that.

Add:  I agree Destiny seems like a pretty pricey game to get into if you plan on playing it seriously.  At least Dice Masters was cheap.  That said in fairness the component quality of Dice Masters matched the price.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I'm sorry this wasn't a confirmation review for you?  The review looks like it was made for everyone, not just people who already know about LCGs. The neutral criticism about expansions is probably good information for people unfamiliar with the format, and it's pretty even across the board for games like this. 

Sorry, I haven't actually watched it yet - I'm just kind of echoing what people said earlier in the thread.  I hadn't originally planned on spending the time since I felt there wasn't much I'd get out of it.  However I'm seeing people citing it on BGG and claiming "Zee says it's got no replayability" so I feel like maybe I need to watch enough to help stop misinformation.

• Ironswimsuit likes this

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I wonder why no one notices what trully scares me. This is a game you can finish in one evening and say "I beat it". In order to prolong your experience you must buy additional content which is far from reasonably priced.

This is not a game in which you will be beating same scenario over and over again. It is simillar to Video game (like those Telltale games) but is much more expensive in matter h/$. WheN I buy a competitive LCG I get potential weeks of gameplay. In this case I get a story. Before you can actually expand experience you will have to buy whole first Cycle. In other words in order to feel AH potential you need to spend 500$. This is very dangerous for us, as players. Buying CS I feel like I am buying a very small demo.  

I am going to sink into it. I will spent a wagoon of cash on it but for casual gamer this CS is worst possible. They should have squeezed at least twice more scenarios into it.  

Doma0997

Doma0997

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I wonder why no one notices what trully scares me. This is a game you can finish in one evening and say "I beat it". In order to prolong your experience you must buy additional content which is far from reasonably priced.

This is not a game in which you will be beating same scenario over and over again. It is simillar to Video game (like those Telltale games) but is much more expensive in matter h/$. WheN I buy a competitive LCG I get potential weeks of gameplay. In this case I get a story. Before you can actually expand experience you will have to buy whole first Cycle. In other words in order to feel AH potential you need to spend 500$. This is very dangerous for us, as players. Buying CS I feel like I am buying a very small demo.  

I am going to sink into it. I will spent a wagoon of cash on it but for casual gamer this CS is worst possible. They should have squeezed at least twice more scenarios into it.  

I have played all three scenarios over 5 times now and still going. I've played the first scenario more times than I can count. This isn't a one and done sort of game unless you are really just in it only for the story. I've got decks to optimize, story paths to take, and alternate endings to see. I've already got more than my moneys worth out of this game as it is already. 

• agktmte and phillosmaster like this

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Good for you. I know people who start FF7 just after they finish it. And like that for last 20 years. This game will have deck to optimalize. Rigth now it looks like it will be rather linear story experience. Which is not a bad thing. It is something I am looking for in Arkham. But in general, as for "board" game it does not suit it.

I still have my first game ahead of me.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Well he isn't alone.  I've played through the campaign twice and the first scenario half a dozen times testing out different investigators and deck builds.  Also the story does branch.  That's been explained in the FFG articles.  Also some scenarios have some random elements to their composition making them play not exactly the same way.

I'm not scared at all about this game having replay value.

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Are you playing alone or with your other halfs? 

I would really like my wife to get involved in AH: 5 days to go.

Doma0997

Doma0997

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Are you playing alone or with your other halfs? 

I would really like my wife to get involved in AH: 5 days to go.

I've played all the investigators solo. I'm also doing a play through with my significant other, as well as another with a friend that's just about to finish up. 

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

This is not a game in which you will be beating same scenario over and over again.

In all fairness this is a legitimate worry.. but then again it is exactly what a lot of people said about LoTR and I found that I replayed the LoTR quests all the time, actually I enjoy playing some of the early packs more than new ones in many ways.

Also, LCG players are comfortable with the idea of buying packs.. that is sorta the "point" of the game.. get new cards.. etc etc. On a side note I tend to think the "pack idea" is a archaic left over from the CCG days and that there are better models for the LCG... but that is a different convo.

My point is, people are going to be buying packs to get player cards and EVERY pack will have a quest in it and there is a strong possibly it is going to use the LoTR style deluxe pack thing as well, probably with 3 stories in it.. all connected... I mean.. there is going to be a bazillion quests in no time.

it will not be long until it is liek LoTR and players will be saying.. well I now own 30 quests.. I could play this game every day my group meets for over a year and still not get through them! ... .. .

• gramyotron and phillosmaster like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I've played the campaign a bunch of times too. Lots of replayability.