Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zee Overview and Review

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Are you playing alone or with your other halfs? 

I would really like my wife to get involved in AH: 5 days to go.

Both.  She likes Arkham Horror the board game so it was an easy sell.  Though I'm more passionate about LCGs so of course I deck build adn test even when I'm not playing with her.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

The amount of variety is pretty high, there's no reason you can't play it over and over.  You've got different investigators, different decks, varying maps, varying act or agenda cards, varying encounter deck order, and varying draws from the bag.  Each game should have plenty of room to turn out quite different from last time.

I'm more worried I won't be able to keep up with the vast ocean of content.  Oh look, a new deluxe box came out.  Now I've got to run five more new guys through my old campaigns PLUS run my old investigators through the new scenarios.  There won't be enough hours in the day to consume all the replayable content this game will have.

nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I have played the core multiple times with 1 set.

For me, this game has a ton of replayability. Sure the "ah-ha" moments only happen once (or twice if you can't make it through) but there's a lot of variables that change each time I play.

DarthMonkey

DarthMonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I intend to get the core box and see how the game is before committing.

But unless the first play really turns me off, I intend to solo this with every investigator. Then try it out with 2 at a time. I intend to takes this to friends houses to try out with them. I also plan to get my wife to try it with me as well.

Only then will I know whether it's worth going for or not. So right out of one box, I'm looking at playing through the 'campaign' it at least 10 times I'd say, hopefully more.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I'm on my 13th session of the game.  I may not be typical considering I really love this game.

Even though I know the core campaign inside and out now I still enjoy attempting new investigator builds.  Also introducing the game to a new player always makes it fresh.

• DarthMonkey likes this

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

I played my first play through over the weekend at Team Covenant (they got a preview copy) and even though it was only a solo play through with the premade Roland deck, I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to playing that scenario one multiple times with different investigators and with different people at the store. 

I don't understand the idea of being afraid of an ocean of content. If you don't want to keep up with tons of content, don't. Buy what you want and forget the rest. For the rest of us, though, new content will be very welcome and enjoyable. 

• agktmte and phillosmaster like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

That statement was meant somewhat sarcastically, pointing out that people's frequently made claims that the game doesn't have enough replayability seem without justification because as I was saying each new pack brings many many new combinations of investigator/scenario to explore and that's not even counting having different decks for the same investigator.  Unfortunately, tone does not always come across well online :)

No, I am not really scared of having too many expansions too quickly.  There are those who DO have this sentiment with every LCG, but generally they are more of the board gamer crowd who dabble in many games and only devote a small amount of time to each one.

• phillosmaster likes this

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts

That statement was meant somewhat sarcastically, pointing out that people's frequently made claims that the game doesn't have enough replayability seem without justification because as I was saying each new pack brings many many new combinations of investigator/scenario to explore and that's not even counting having different decks for the same investigator.  Unfortunately, tone does not always come across well online :)

No, I am not really scared of having too many expansions too quickly.  There are those who DO have this sentiment with every LCG, but generally they are more of the board gamer crowd who dabble in many games and only devote a small amount of time to each one.

It was a sentiment I also ran into with Ashes, despite the fact that they didn't have a release for > 6 months at a time. That is why I commented towards the idea, but without quoting you. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Yeah, some people like the concept of LCGs and the depth of play but not the idea of having to devote effort to "keeping up".  Because AH is co-op it attracts more people like this, and with RPG elements even more.  So, I expect once the game is out and expansions start rolling in we'll see plenty of posts about how overwhelming and fast it is and how FFG should slow down greatly and so forth.  Just comes with the territory.