Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fight Actions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Hello,

I was hoping someone could explain how actions work when you are engaged with a threat. If I use the action on a card like knife or the .45 do I still get hit as a target of opportunity? 

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

You see those bold words on the actions on cards such as Knife, .45 Automatic, or Blinding Light? All those Fights and Evades? That means those actions gain that designator, which means they are that type of action. Can you Fight or Evade an engaged enemy without an Attack of Opportunity? Yes you can. That means you can use all Fight and Evade (and Parley or Resign) abilities without Attacks of Opportunity.

I recommend all players become good friends with Our Buddy, the Rules Reference -- this answer was on page 3 (Ability, under "Action Designators"). It's not thrilling reading, but put on some good music and muddle through it at least once. You will at least get a sense of what questions can be answered in there, and that will help you quickly answer questions in a play session without waiting for an Internet answer from a passing shoggoth.

• Toqtamish likes this

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
Ah makes sense. Thank you sir. I am sure I wont be the only one asking dumb questions these first few weeks.

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Hey, it wasn't a dumb question! Apparently given the responses here, on FFG's site, BGG, and other places, this is one tons of people just aren't getting for some reason. It happens.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Yeah don't beat yourself up.  As Gaffa said it seems like that's something that a lot of people struggle with in the rules, which means that mechanism probably wasn't presented clearly enough.

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
A follow up dumb question: The second ability on knife says you discard it as a cost. Dscard is not defined from what I can see. Would it be the equivalent of sacrafice in magic or is it discarded from hand?

meathook

meathook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

The Knife must be in play in order to use the discard ability. By discarding it from play (similar to sacrificing in magic) you get the effect of starting a Fight and getting the modifiers. 

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Correct.  An asset needs to be in play before you can use one of it's actions.  The act of discarding a card is explained in the Discard Pile rules.