Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Searching the encounter deck

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Nightfist

Nightfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

When an effect says to 'search the encounter deck', is there any rule specifying how this should be done, e.g. top to bottom? An example could be the treachery card Mysterious Chanting. In some cases this could matter, e.g. right after using Scrying on the encounter deck, but I haven't been able to find a rule for it yet. So I guess I'm going with the Grim Rule for now...

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

In the case of these effects (like Mysterious chanting), you choose the Cultist you want to face of those available in the encounter deck. The order you search doesn't matter, and a previous scry effect also won't matter, as you'll be forced to shuffle the deck after. 

Effects for which the order matters are more likely to be worded like Act3b of Scenario 1 (discard from the deck until you reach X).

Nightfist

Nightfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Really? That sounds kind of counter intuitive. Although I will play it that way until I hear otherwise :-)

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

To use spoiler-free examples:

Take, for instance, the mystic's initiates; they allow you to search the top 3 cards of your deck for a spell card and add it to your hand. That basically means "look at the top 3 cards of your deck". However, if you had multiple spells in those cards, you could choose which you added to your hand. 

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Really? That sounds kind of counter intuitive. Although I will play it that way until I hear otherwise :-)

It's counter-intuitive? If you had read the Rules Reference under "Search" (p. 18), you'd have seen the same rules.

Plus you would have begun grinding Rules Reference Rep, which is useful in the hidden second dungeon level!

Nightfist

Nightfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I find it counter intuitive because I don't expect to have any control over what happens in the mythos phase, and certainly not over what enemies creep out of the encounter deck. It makes more sense for me when searching through an investigator deck. I read the rule on p 18 and I agree with your reading of that rule, but I just don't find it very thematic.

nierensieb

nierensieb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

If I remember correctly there are some weaker cultists and a bigger cultist. So the rule punishes you, if you ignore the weaker cultists and don't kill them because you have to spawn the bigger cultists if you draw the event.

So basically, destroy the beginnings of the cult before it gets to big to handle. Feels thematic to me (not that it matters... rules are rules :)).

Nightfist

Nightfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If I remember correctly there are some weaker cultists and a bigger cultist. So the rule punishes you, if you ignore the weaker cultists and don't kill them because you have to spawn the bigger cultists if you draw the event.
So basically, destroy the beginnings of the cult before it gets to big to handle. Feels thematic to me (not that it matters... rules are rules :)).

Yea, I like that interpretation, thx!

BDFlory

BDFlory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

You only search if there are no cultists in play, so you never have to spawn the wizard. (Unless the cultists have somehow been removed from the game entirely.)

You might want to if the cultists are already in discard and he's still in the deck though. If you kill him before his doom matters, it reduces the likelihood of surprise doom tokens until you reshuffle the discard.

nierensieb

nierensieb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Yes, you are right of course.

Modiebutt

Modiebutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Have you considered possibly making the engine open source, and recruiting help from sourceforge? Might be an option..

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Have you considered possibly making the engine open source, and recruiting help from sourceforge?

Might be an option..

Do many physical card games have their engines posted on sourceforge?
  • MightyToenail likes this