Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Survivability and other questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Rune

Rune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello All,

Just a few questions about the game:

1st: which investigator has the best chance to survive during an entire campaign?

2nd: If my investigator has some physical damage/horror at the end of a scenario, does he/she start the new scenario fresh without any horror/physical damage on him/her?

3. Can it be argued that Skids has the least problematic weakness? (Hospital debts)

Thank you,

R.

• GeorgeFax likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

1.)  I'd argue Wendy because of her luck mitigation based card pool, decent health and sanity, and her high agility score which allows her to usually just get away if she needs to run.  Skids I think also is pretty hardy, but his Willpower 2 is a real handicap and has screwed him over for me quite often so I find he's better when paired with someone like Agnes or Daisy who can Scry and can take on the Willpower treacheries.

2.) All damage and horror are removed between scenarios unless otherwise stated in the campaign guide.  Damage due to traumas do carry over though, which is explained in the trauma rules.

3.) Yes though I don't think Wendy's is all that bad.  Most of the time I don't reshuffle my discard so it is only disruptive when trying to pull recursion shenanigans.  This does stop me from usually pushing too hard on uncontrollable card draw for Wendy though when I'm deckbuilding.  I think Skids' weakness will be more punishing in the longer campaigns where repeatedly failing to answer the weakness will start to catch up with you.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

1) It takes a lot to permanently eliminate an investigator (kill or drive insane). Only scenario resolutions and accumulated trauma can do it. An investigator who is defeated in a scenario comes back in the next one (possibly with trauma).

3) It really depend on when the weakness comes up. Wendy's gets more painful as the scenario progresses (depending on how many cards it removes). So does Roland's, except in the last scenario of a campaign. For Daisy's, it depends on how full her hands are (including whether she has her bag). Skids' is more painful in early scenarios (like Roland, it can be totally ignored at the end of a campaign). Agnes' can be really painful, but she can also use it to fuel her ability.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Aside from the inconvenience I've also seen that Daisy's weakness flipping the Elder Sign to an auto fail is pretty significant.   I haven't done the numbers, but taking pretty much an expected pass and flipping it to an auto fail is horrid.  How must it effects you statistically is very dependent on the chaos bag composition I'm sure.  I find that's probably more annoying then forcing her to throw away a hand slot, which keeps me from saying her's is the easiest.

Edit:  Changed a mistaken reference from Wendy to Daisy.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
Ah, you're talking about Daisy. In standard (or easy) difficulty, there are 16 tokens in the bag (1 more for The Devourer Below), 1 of which is the Elder Sign. So we're talking about a 1/16 probability (0.0625).

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Very open ended question, and keep in mind we haven't even seen the first release of a "real" campaign yet, just the shorty included in the core set.  So, umm, hard to know what to say :)

By the time we DO see a full campaign we'll have twice as many investigators too, actually more I guess if Marie Lambeau is out by that time.

Normally you can't get more than 1 trauma per scenario so it takes consistent bad runs to actually kill off an investigator.  I guess you can say that anyone with severely unbalanced stats is at more risk.  Personally, I'd go more with whatever investigator works well for me.  In my case, playing solo, I feel more confident with Agnes and Skids.  Then Roland and Daisy, then Wendy.  Others may have different playstyles, or it likely varies when playing with bigger groups - solo has its own considerations since you have to cover everything with one investigator.

And finally, even if there was an answer to the question, what would that answer be good for?  I'd rather run the investigators I like than pick someone I don't enjoy just because they might have a couple percent higher survival rate.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Ah, you're talking about Daisy. In standard (or easy) difficulty, there are 16 tokens in the bag (1 more for The Devourer Below), 1 of which is the Elder Sign. So we're talking about a 1/16 probability (0.0625).

Yes sorry Daisy.  I had Wendy on the brain since I was talking about her in the last post.

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

And finally, even if there was an answer to the question, what would that answer be good for?  I'd rather run the investigators I like than pick someone I don't enjoy just because they might have a couple percent higher survival rate.

You might not want to pick your characters based on which is statistically more efficient, but others might, so the answer probably has value to them.

I know that for me, my first run-through of each scenario is going to be about the story, but after that, subsequent playthroughs will probably be more like a puzzle with me trying to figure out the optimal ways to solve it.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts
I find Agnes to be my number one. She is just so damned good. Roland and Skids are a joint second.

Nightfist

Nightfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

In my gamesRoland seems to survive most things, because he simply kills what gets in his way. At the other end of the scale Daisy seems to get killed a lot if not played carefully.

However, I also find that the addition of either Bulletproof Vest or Elder Sign will drastically improve the survival rate of any investigator.