Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deck building strategies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Crikrunner

Crikrunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Just looking for general advise for those that have gotten tons of games in on table top simulator with the whole collection at your finger tips.  When is extra health worth more than the elite die( ie 2 elites vs 4 non)? Can discards be a viable win strategy?  How many turns does the game last with a well tuned deck?  Beyond damage , discards , disruption and crime lord what other deck types are there?

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

It depends.... 

Games clock in around 3-4 rounds.  Can you make your opponent burn through 30 cards, minus recursion in 3-4 rounds, or can you lengthen the game to make it happen? Run discard/Mill. 

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts
I think just clumping decks as damage is over simplifying it.

Consider a Han Rey deck. I'd consider their damage tempo. It thrives off free actions and pushing damage fast. Then look at something like Grevious Bala-Tik both are damage agro but the second focuses on downing one character quickly to get a bonus from your characters.

You'll also see decks that focus on modifiers or high damage with a resource cost etc.

I'd consider:
Tempo
Rush
Discard/Hand control
Crime lord elimination
Mid range damage
Combo damage
And then specific decks like Poe/X

Crikrunner

Crikrunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

with our untuned decks our games are lasting much longer 6-8 rounds, so I feel like I'm playing a different game.  Perhaps I should be discarding more to reroll

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

with our untuned decks our games are lasting much longer 6-8 rounds, so I feel like I'm playing a different game.  Perhaps I should be discarding more to reroll

My games usually go 4-5 rounds, every group has a different playstyle though, we don't really know how the game will work out long term yet.

I usually allow myself to discard cards to re-roll if it's something I'm going to discard anyway, but often claiming the battlefield provides a bigger advantage, right?

In dice masters there is a card called Parallax, you can spend one resource to re-roll any or all of your dice, our group constantly talks about not going down the parallax road (spend all your resources looking for a roll only to keep getting blanks), so most people in our group often only discard to re-roll once until they are really desperate.