Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Preferred number of players?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Pizzagoat

Pizzagoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I'm curious as to the different experiences people have had playing this game solo vs. with multiple people. Do you think it's good with any # or does a certain # play better than others?

BDFlory

BDFlory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
It depends on what you like. The play experience is a bit different. In solo, the game is more predictable, like a puzzle. More players make it more chaotic, so while they can cover more ground by splitting up, multiple encounter cards in a row can be really punishing, and part of the difficulty is dealing with those emergent challenges.

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

I like 3 people. It allows you to split up while still working together. You have enough people to cover ground without having too many to slow down gameplay. I like Skids/Roland with Daisy&Agnes team, or Wendy with Roland/Skids&Daisy.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
I have only played solo and with 4 players and I love both. I actually really like solo because it drags me away from the PC and video games.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I've tried one 2-player game, otherwise it's all been solo.  Both seemed to work well.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I've played at all player counts.  I like 2 investigators best.  The two investigators can support each other allowing them to specialize more and you have the option to split up.  1 investigator is fine, but I do find you are a bit more constrained in your deck building in an already limited card pools.  3 and 4 players can be lots of fun because you have so many options, but so many encounter cards coming out each round can be a bit overwhelming if you aren't working really well as a team. The more players you have the longer each scenario can take so a 4 player scenario can be a bit lengthy IMO.  So that is a factor.  Also for people who like to use Scrying on the encounter deck once you go to 4 players that spell loses quite a bit of it's power, which can make things difficult if your build is really leaning on that utility.

Nightfist

Nightfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm not sure it's my preferred way, but I play mostly solo with two investigators. That's the max I can efficiently keep in my head, while still letting me try out a lot of different cards.

DadouXIII

DadouXIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I played it Solo and with 2 players, and honestly, I feel like the game was built to be played with 2 players. Have not played it with 3 or 4 yet, but it really does seem to me like 2 is the way to go, as 3-4 players would make the game much more chaotic and long.

MaShiKai

MaShiKai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

I have only played solo and with 4 players and I love both. I actually really like solo because it drags me away from the PC and video games.

Do you NEED two cores to play with 4 players or is more like Lord of the Rings where it just gives you more cards to play with? (Besides the Threat Dials)

Is it worth getting two cores for playing with more people or even having a more enjoyable solo/duo game?

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Two core sets will give you much more flexibility for deck building and will up the consistency for decks since you'll have at least 2x of every card.  Faction cards are all 1x includes and neutrals are all 2x includes in the core set.  You can have at max 2x of any given card in an investigator's deck.  All investigators can include cards from two factions in the core.  I would say getting a second core set is worth your wild if you really like this game even if you plan on playing solo.  If you want to play a 3 or 4 player game you will have a hard time constructing enough reasonable decks with only 1 core set.  I'm not sure if it's even possible to do 4 investigator decks with one core.  I know I manage three with a very specific set of investigators, but I think I couldn't manage 4.  Also you will run out of tokens since the "per investigator" rule will scale the token requirements with the player count.

BDFlory

BDFlory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
You do need two cores. You only get one copy of each class card in a single core, and each investigator uses 2 of the five classes. The "starters" are on of each card in an investigator's classes, plus 10 neutrals (2x5).

Two players leave one set of single class cards and some neutrals for a third player. You *might* be able to scrape a playable 3 player game together from a single box. But not four players.

If you allow players to use the small selection of experienced cards (and you can use the standalone rules to kludge this), you get a little wiggle room, but still not four players' worth.

BDFlory

BDFlory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
Double!

BDFlory

BDFlory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip