Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shaper Agnok deck thread

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

I love the new Kroot cards, Guerilla Tactics in particular adds a very nice surprise to the deck and plays really well with the kroot theme (you have a decent unit with no command stuck on a planet down the line? No problem!).

Vash'ya Trailblazer is, simply put, the best command unit in the game: 2-for-2 which is unsnipable, thus it's very strong even in very low-command decks.

Sniper Drone Team is a broken card, the problem is that some of the strongest decks around have a (few) solid answer(s) for it.

It basically punishes really*really* hard any deck with no control options but falters against those with control. It's still playable for its raw strength of course, it's just that I would have to change the deckshape having to add in attachments that increase attack as well.

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

No Rampaging Knarloc in your deck?

It works very well with Consumed by the Kindred, but with that new event it's dynamite. I can lock a far planet with my Knarloc AND come back to first planet if needed. Wooot!

(About Sniper drone, you said you would need more attachments to increase its attack. But with Heavy Marker Drone, it's already 4 Hit then 4 hit again right? ^^)

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Guerilla Tactics:
"... must discard cards from their hand..."

• TeamApoka likes this

Drazzt999

Drazzt999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Vash'ya Trailblazer is, simply put, the best command unit in the game: 2-for-2 which is unsnipable, thus it's very strong even in very low-command decks.

You are playing Agnok in a strange way. I must confess all my games with him I went full no-command, his ability suggest it.
But you are using it like a safety net. You fight for the command and if you start losing it I suppose you fire off some Kroots to prevent being snowball-ed. Mmmmh, I need to test this. ^^

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

@Drazz

Same here, I play Shaper almost no command. I only take the recon drones. And I play the Piranha Hunter, to put Arrangement at Elova IV on it. I love the triple combo : My attachment is safe with Mobile, I get cards from my own ability and I get cash 'cause I can move to a planet with a command struggle. (And if I must I can move it to a tought battle, it's a 2/2)

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

where are all these new cards getting posted to print out and stuff?

• TeamApoka and Koldro like this

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

where are all these new cards getting posted to print out and stuff?

Hi there!

The facebook page to follow us:

The website for the cards:
(We currently have a problem with the 1-click option for the printing. If you want to print out cards, you just need to click on the packs, download the pics and go to printerstudio.)

The cards of the cycle so far:

• junglecat likes this

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

@Koldro

I don't want to play Elites without Backlash, and I find it hard to include those just for the Knarloc. Might add in 3x Nightshade Interceptor 3x Backlash and try it out though.

I don't like Piranha Hunter, for the same cost you can get Soaring Falcon which can actually win you command most of the times. Also, the Piranha doesn't work with Agnok's ability :(

@Drazzt

Yeah, that's my point. There aren't enough low-cost Kroots for that, and Tau command units are great. There's no point in paying 2-3 to deploy a Kroot on planet 3 only to lose command there ^^

Drazzt999

Drazzt999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

@Drazzt

Yeah, that's my point. There aren't enough low-cost Kroots for that, and Tau command units are great. There's no point in paying 2-3 to deploy a Kroot on planet 3 only to lose command there ^^

Well, you have Apoka's ear, give us more low-cost Kroots! ^^ (Ok, ok, we got the Kroot Hunter thanks to Brad and now this new Trap Laying kroot, we can wait a bit :P)

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

@Eu8L1ch

"No Elites without backlash."

So Backlash, so more Elites, so STC... I'm wondering if there is a way today to play Elites without all those mandatory cards. ^^

-

The Piranha Hunter doesn't work with Agnok's ability, but it does with Arrangement at Elova IV. Soaring Falcon is Mobile, so it protects the Arrangement as good as the Piranha. But if the planets are poor in cards, or if your opponent is strong enough in command to beat your Soaring Falcon's hammers, then I suppose the Piranha can make a difference.

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Drazzt, I'll try my best :P but there are many decks that need help unfortunately (look at the number of non-signature 3-costers we have: it's abysmal).

Koldro, I don't think playing Elites without Backlash is an option: Kith is still among the strongest (if not *the* strongest) decks around. As for STC, that's a tougher call for sure, but that card is so good that it's a very easy way of gaining an advantage. I have been experimenting with just 6 elites + 3 Backlash though, it might work.

As for the Piranha Hunter, I think that card is clearly not good enough to make the cut in any deck: it surely has a cool textbox (Mobile is potent, and the ability is juicy) but is let down by its cost/stats. The textbox and atk/hp say the unit is not good for combat, while paying 3 for a unit with no command makes it completely inefficient command-wise.

Tytou

Tytou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

The Piranha Hunter doesn't work with Agnok's ability, but it does with Arrangement at Elova IV. Soaring Falcon is Mobile, so it protects the Arrangement as good as the Piranha. But if the planets are poor in cards, or if your opponent is strong enough in command to beat your Soaring Falcon's hammers, then I suppose the Piranha can make a difference.

I never tried yet the Piranha hunter in a Shaper deck but I have to admit that I agree with you about Elova4 combo. Getting 1R by loosing command + 1 C then by moving the Piranha is quiet interesting for 3R in 1 turn. Personally I m currently playing a full kroot elites that works great especially since Rampaged Knarloc is out. I have also (as a proxy, thanks to spoilers!) included the trap Laying hunter 4/2 which is giving to my Kroot deck a solid mid-range in combat + the guerilla Tatics that is a real threat for the enemy ... except if my opponent plays Calibration Error of course :P

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Piranha Hunter & Inquisition Acolyte dude are two cards that always puzzled me.

On paper they are super good. If I can move twice with my Piranha, it's +2 cards. If you consider 1 card = 1 resource, it means the unit only cost you 1R. 1R for a 2/2 Mobile that can ensure your Arrangement at Elova IV is safe, it's cheap.

Now, on top of that, with Arrangement there is a chance that you also get 1R each of those two turns. So... on paper again, it really refunds itself pretty well in two turns only.

But I feel you... there is something that does not feel right with it (and the Acolyte) even if the stats say it's OK. ^^

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Talking about the Piranha, if you win command on that planet (which can be accomplished with a 1-for-1 if you're opponent has nothing there) you'll get 1C+1R while having spent just 1C 1R. The Piranha on its own (the Arrangement makes it a 2-card combo, which is clearly not quite as good) yields just 1C and you have to spend 2R more just to gain mobile. It takes ages to pay off.

The Acolyte is more interesting, its main problem being that outside of Coteaz you have very little control over when its ability will fire off, making it unappealing. In Coteaz it is a decent card if you fear losing command, but it's still a hefty investment for a meager 2/2 - which makes it hard to justify it from a tempo perspective, especially if you compare it with aggressive 2-costers such as Bloodied Revears/Bork'an/Warbikerz.

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It's thursday! 8 players at the store.
I'll go with a full no-command madness and x3 Piranha Hunters. Wish me luck. ^^

Here is the deck:

Army (31)
4xAgnok's Shadows
3xCarnivore Pack
2xEarth Caste Technician
3xGun Drones
3xKroot Guerrilla
3xKroot Hounds
3xKroot Hunter
3xPiranha Hunter
2xRampaging Knarloc
3xTrap Laying Hunter
2xSniper Drone Team

Attachment (8)
3xArrangement at Elova IV
2xHeavy Marker Drone
2xIon Rifle
1xVanguard Pack

Event (10)
2xBehind Enemy Lines
1xCalibration Error
3xConsumed by the Kindred
1xCounterblow
3xGuerrilla Tactics

Support (1)
1xEvolutionary Adaptation

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Hey Koldro, how did it go?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this Agnok, *someone* suggested we might actually have enough Kroots for a full-Kroot theme but I can't find a way.. Too few low cost ones!

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Heya!

Well, it was awesome. (33% victories thus, I need to train ^^)
I must say:
1/ I understand the reason behind Guerrilla’s design. Mock me if you want, but it took me a while to understand that the super strategy of “losing all commands” means “my opponent is f*** rich”. So it was OK versus SM and DE, but Necron were far too happy to get a boost at the start.
2/ Piranha is tricky to use :P To be fair it’s OK to be the bearer of the arrangment, but the Agnok’s shadows already do that perfectly. (This unit is dynamite btw. So versatile, so sweet to use)

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Glad to know you enjoyed yourself!

1/ Yes, it's a real problem. That's why I use a mixed strategy for my deck. Simply giving up command for free is painful, since your opponent gets so much..

2/ Indeed, if you just play Vash'ya instead of Piranha you'll get a much better unit. 1 HP is not as good as 2, but there aren't many effects that can cause you serious trouble: the only one I can think of is the Invasive Genestealer's one (from Omega's sig).

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

First round of the league won with Agnok!

I went for a full Elite deck, as suggested by WarfSyxFury.

Guerrillas Tactics on "Rampagning Knarloc" is quite good.

http://www.conquestd...mpaging-knarloc

(To be fair, it feels like what Corrupted Teleportarium should be. You can move, once, to the first planet. Not, everyturn, almost everywhere..)

But worry not, I may be bold enough to test a full no-command deck later in the league if I scored enough points to afford a defeat. :P

• Eu8L1ch likes this

GuessWePlay5Rings

GuessWePlay5Rings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I think Agnok is a really interesting warlord. I'm not sure that losing all your command is the best approach though - I see his ability more as mitigating your command losses, and enabling you to always have a highly functioning economy through just the command phase. If you're winning some command of your own, you can shutdown your opponent's command game to a certain degree. Throw in the new arrangement at Elova IV and consumed by the kindred and you have a deck that can almost always have access to lots of resources.

The natural instinct here would be to try to jam elites or something, but I don't think I want to go that route. One of the most powerful effects on the Tau side of the alignment wheel is the card 'Doom', but many decks do not play it since it is too expensive, and only jam it when they can get a huge swing. Since we generate large amounts of resources, I think jamming 3 and having access to it very often isn't a bad idea. Sometimes it might just kill 1 or 2 elites in the HQ, but in that sense it lets us play some removal. Of course, sometimes it just wins you the game outright, and it cannot be backlashed :). If they rely a lot on moving their units around, a calibration error could be waiting for them as well.

Anyways, heres the shell I came up with 'High economy Kroot':

Units:

Classical command units:

3x Recon Drone

3x Earth Caste Technician

1x Void Pirate

1x The Duke of Debris

3x Vash'ya Trailblazer

Kroot:

3x Kroot Hunter (assuming errata'd)

4x Agnok's Shadow

3x Trap Laying Hunter

3x Carnivore Pack (Kroot Hounds might be better ? Haven't played them a lot though. I like to sac these guys p1 to set up a doom)

3x Rampaging Knarloc

Utility:

2x Gun Drones (3 in most Tau decks but the targets in this deck are just alright)

1x Inquisitor Caius Wroth (Great when you and your opp trade command. You generate a lot of resources so trimming hands can be wonderful. Doesn't die to doom)

Non-Units

Events:

2x Consumed by the Kindred (Great for resources but can be dead, I'm not sold on 3x)

2x Behind Enemy Lines

3x Guerilla Tactics

2x Calibration Error

3x Doom (!)

Attachments:

3x Arrangement at Elova IV

1x Vanguard Pack

2x Heavy Marker Drone

Supports:

1x Evolutionary Adaptation

(49 Cards - 1 Free Slot. Could be 3rd gun drones, calibration error or heavy marker drone. Or second, Inquisitor Caius Wroth, a Kroot Hounds, or a Void Pirate/Duke of Debris)

Playing elites without backlash feels bad but the Knarlocs are so good that it feels silly not to jam them in, Especially since you can consume them if they look like they're about to bite the dust, and they can be 'tellyporta'd' using the new Guerilla Tactics. Besides, I feel like him and the Trap laying hunters are necessary to be a bit more fighty.

I need to test the build a lot against Kith, Chaos and Orks to get a good feel for the numbers, since I already have a free slot and I'm not entirely sure my utility slots have the correct numbers attached. I also need to see if the deck can actually fight - but the plan to just take tons of cards and resources and Dooming your opponents train seems robust enough.

Let me know what you think!

• Eu8L1ch likes this