Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aggro, Control, Mill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

KnightsofRenPodcast

KnightsofRenPodcast

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

In traditional CCG/TCG's there is usually a triangle of decks that cycle through a meta. And at this point in the game (very limited) we have seen control, aggro and mill decks bubble to the top of the list. I'm really excited to test these and many many more. But I'm curious what the community thinks about the deck types. Is one better than the rest, or is this a well balanced structure for the players as a whole? 

ikeebear

ikeebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

One of my decks is a General Grievous (elite) and Count Dooku deck that I put together with the intention of it being an aggro-control deck.

So I think the triangle may be more of a square or pentagram, with combo also being a thing (Jabba, Crime Lord and Quick Draw Rey).

I think the usual wisdom of 'control > aggro > combo/mill > control' still holds mostly true.

• KnightsofRenPodcast likes this

unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Brand new to CCG format but it does seem like the three corners of the triangle are mill/aggro/control.  I think consistency in victory will come from some form of balance between those.  You need to be able to do damage (even as a bluff for mill/control) but also survive a few hits.  If played right I think a solid balanced deck can on average beat a deck that floats to the extreme end of one of those three triangle corners.  Certainly with good cards/rolls those extreme decks can steamroll once in a while but on average a well built balanced deck that is played smartly should have the edge.  Of course if something is broken/bonkers then we could see one of the extremes be 'the best way to play' for a while too. 

MathewB

MathewB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have seen a Vader and 2 troopers deck. This seems to have massive aggro and the immobilise and force throw has massive control elements.

I don't think milling decks will work against big aggro decks and will struggle against control decks. The major difference to the success of the aggro vs control deck seems to be the maximum health that can be sustained. I played another game against a heavily aggro deck and the control only came in at the end of the game when I was down to my last 5 health against 10 or so.
Personally I would go control first with added aggro.

ikeebear

ikeebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

I think a good mill deck should beat a strongly control-oriented deck (noting that mill decks run a lot of control effects themselves).

By it's nature, control is slow. It aims to take away your options until it can either build up it's threats and make big, decisive plays or just nickel and dime you away.

A longer game plays into the hands of mill.

Aggro can knock out the likes of Padme before the mill player can get properly set up.

That's why I think the accepted triangle (rock-paper-scissors) is applicable.

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

I don't think the traditional archetypes work as much.

There is definitely aggro with Grievous being the poster case. 

I think Mill/combo is the control archetype. They want to stall the game up until they finish their win-con which is either Crime Lord or milling so far.

The third is kind of control, but I would describe it more as tempo working as a mix between control and Aggro. Vader is definitely a tempo deck I think. He can push while also being able to stop opponents from attacking. Phasma-swarm also is a version of this.

The difference between the decks is really threats and answers. Aggro is all threats hoping to overwhelm the opponent quickly; Control wan'ts to stop their opponent from utilizing their threats; and tempo mixes it doing some damage each turn while avoiding it themselves, basically trying to do more damage each round than their opponent does to them.

These archetypes seem to have some correlation to colour. Red is Aggro wanting to move fast. Yellow is Control with plenty of control payoffs and utility effects. And Blue fits tempo well being able to take out dice while still doing direct damage.

I think Aggro probably overwhelms Control deck with too much damage, while losing to tempo decks who are able to disrupt key damaging attacks while returning in kind. Control beats tempo taking out their fewer threats and not having to worry about their win-con being neutralized.

KnightsofRenPodcast

KnightsofRenPodcast

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I believe the newly announced rules will tend to make players favor aggro decks since damage dealing decks appear to be superior on the surface. But the game is well enough built that control decks will emerge and help shape local meta and mill decks will be viable, although difficult to pilot. I'm interested to see what players and the community create as the game goes on.

SlapHappy

SlapHappy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
With all these new.rules about tournaments, it would appear that aggro decks are going to be most popular for the time being. But like any CCG, people will figure out counters, then counters to the counters and so on. So with that being said I believe aggro will be the deck to run for now, until set 2 comes out and we have some more viable hero decks and more control options for all colors.
  • Crikrunner likes this