Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Proper mill deck?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
So I'm trying the Padme/Rey/Ackbar mill deck that I found in the deck section, and after 3 games with it, I ended up making a few changes:

-2 Promotion, +2 Comlink
-2 Force Protection, +2 Flank
-2 Rearm, +2 Disarm (for Holocron). Might go down to 1 of these, but man that Holocron is damn near broken.

I found the deck easily got rid of cards off the top of the deck, but had a much harder time milling from hand without the extra focus from Comlink. I also found that it just didn't have enough mitigation to survive to the end game. I figure Comlinks help serve double duty in that regard.

I'd also like to find room for Diplomatic Immunity, but to maintain the resource curve I'd probably have to take out one of the DL Blasters, and the Ambush off Rey can be nice. Anybody else have experience running a successful mill deck?

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

So I'm trying the Padme/Rey/Ackbar mill deck that I found in the deck section, and after 3 games with it, I ended up making a few changes:

-2 Promotion, +2 Comlink
-2 Force Protection, +2 Flank
-2 Rearm, +2 Disarm (for Holocron). Might go down to 1 of these, but man that Holocron is damn near broken.

I found the deck easily got rid of cards off the top of the deck, but had a much harder time milling from hand without the extra focus from Comlink. I also found that it just didn't have enough mitigation to survive to the end game. I figure Comlinks help serve double duty in that regard.

I'd also like to find room for Diplomatic Immunity, but to maintain the resource curve I'd probably have to take out one of the DL Blasters, and the Ambush off Rey can be nice. Anybody else have experience running a successful mill deck?

Completely agree.

One key to milling from hand is Scout. It can actually provide a lot of mill in itself. An ideal opening set-up with those decks are 2x Scout onto Rey and activate, you'll have a chance of discard 3 cards from your opponents hand that turn, with Jedi temple maybe all of them. Don't forget scout can take care of holocron as well. Let them return it to their hand once then pop it off as it's 0 cost.

I agree Comlink is definitly needed, and force protection just costs excess resources compared to what you want to spend.

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Completely agree.

One key to milling from hand is Scout. It can actually provide a lot of mill in itself. An ideal opening set-up with those decks are 2x Scout onto Rey and activate, you'll have a chance of discard 3 cards from your opponents hand that turn, with Jedi temple maybe all of them. Don't forget scout can take care of holocron as well. Let them return it to their hand once then pop it off as it's 0 cost.

I agree Comlink is definitly needed, and force protection just costs excess resources compared to what you want to spend.

Oh nice point about Scout, didn't think of that. So much to learn...probably a reason to go down to 1x Disarm, then.

Upon further thought, are there any better choices for this deck than the DL-44s? I get the ambush potential on Rey for 2 extra actions, but I don't like game effects that allow your opponent to choose what's best for them. Those are best early game when there are fewer dice and therefore fewer blanks to choose from. I'm starting to prefer more dice mitigation, like Block/Dodge. Thoughts?
  • KennedyHawk likes this

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

I like more dice manipulation. If you are going this route maybe consider something like Electroshock.

Queklaine

Queklaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

I think their are many ways to build this but most feel like they are about a card or two away from being good.  I have a build that I haven't made yet because I'm missing a couple cards for it still.  I'm gonna try double padme with 2 padawans.  This leaves out a few key red cards but I think it might still work.  It actually finds a use for reys staff that everyone seems to be pulling tons of.  Its the only rare I've pulled 4 of already.  It helps with hand destruction using that event from the started that makes them discard cards equal to the amount of melee dice u have in play.  Reys staff and the 2 padawans each have 3 sides of their dice as melee.  

I also agree with your issue of staying alive long enough to mill them out.  I think I'm going to use the mill stuff that I can from yellow and blue and then focus on shields for the rest.  Dont worry too much about offense.  Just staying alive and doing stuff to make them discard or mill

Crikrunner

Crikrunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Double OutPost + Lothal Command Center BG + Focus + Defensive Events + Hyperspace Jump + Disrupt and Discards

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

My 2 cents on this type of deck is Villain > Hero. I feel as tough something along the lines of Douku Jabba is more solid then say Rey Padme. I originally liked the Padme idea, but in practice, she does nothing. Which comes to my next 2 cents.

I don't feel that a literal mill strategy is good. lol. When you Mill cards of the top of someones decks, your honestly not doing anything that will affect his game in the "here and now", its all "long term potential". But when your playing a discard strategy, your screwing with your opponent on every turn, making it an actually struggle for him.  

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

My 2 cents on this type of deck is Villain > Hero. I feel as tough something along the lines of Douku Jabba is more solid then say Rey Padme. I originally liked the Padme idea, but in practice, she does nothing. Which comes to my next 2 cents.

I don't feel that a literal mill strategy is good. lol. When you Mill cards of the top of someones decks, your honestly not doing anything that will affect his game in the "here and now", its all "long term potential". But when your playing a discard strategy, your screwing with your opponent on every turn, making it an actually struggle for him.  

Agreed. I don't even use Padme in my Hero mill deck. I would call it more of a hand control or discard deck. I use Ackbar with elite Rey and one generic, two turn one scouts on Rey makes her a discard monster.

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
I'm also starting to think 2x Thermal Detonator instead of Cunning.